Easier to edit? Wundersys vs svof

I'm curious because Wundersys was open from the start while svof started as the paid version where parts were hidden (I think).

Comments

• Wundersys by far is easier.

• I agree with wundersys being far easier to modify with stock mudlet. svof's code lives in a file outside of mudlet, that is broken up into different files for development. To actually use it, it goes through preprocessor and compiling stages.
  • edited February 2016
    Would there be a way to convert Svof to something a bit easier to edit? Removing the preprocessor/compiling stages? Maybe allowing it to be edited with just notepad ++ or even in-game like Wundersys. Granted, this may force an entire update/re-writing a majority of the code. I've been curious as to how some people have managed to edit Svof.

Wundersys seems like a decent system but the spam killed the system for me. Even with adding some deletefulls to deleteLines, editing the hightlights. I still got a lot of prompt spam for no reason(I believe from Nemu's deleteFull function) If I could somehow get it up and running seamlessly I'd likely make the switch due to the easier editing.
  • Preprocessor stages are necessary for different class specific packages (those could go away when multiclass is done, but specialized class packages would get a lot of clutter so it may impact performance), reduction of code redundancy and overall ease of programming, so they'll go away very unlikely.

"Compiling" (which is actually more or less concatenating preprocessed files) is necessary to create one big Lua module, where internals can be accessed by all different parts. Doing away with that would force developers to always edit the single huge file which will create more conflicts when collaborating and slow down most editors to a crawl.

The svo file IS editable in any text editor, just be aware that every change gets undone when updating. Overall it would be more helpful if you contributed changes back to the svof repository, so everyone could take advantage of improvements and you don't need to redo them on every update. If you are willing to do that, you can contact me about how my development flow works.
  • Thanks for the info @Keneanung !

* Also, if anyone has witnessed the same issues I have had with Wundersys and has a fix, please send me a message or do share here! It looked like a great system but coming from Svo( all it's streamlined/mostly appealing interface/gagging) I'm a bit spoiled and can't really stand to look at all unnecessary spam when I'm running around, fighting or hunting.
  • I forgot to ask also which is better to use with serverside?
  • Wundersys is server side only. Svof can work both ways, you can even configure which parts should be handled by server side and which part is handled by svof. I can't say anything about "better" or "easier" to use with serverside, because I never used wundersys long enough to make a decision about it.
  • Belros said:
    Thanks for the info @Keneanung !

* Also, if anyone has witnessed the same issues I have had with Wundersys and has a fix, please send me a message or do share here! It looked like a great system but coming from Svo( all it's streamlined/mostly appealing interface/gagging) I'm a bit spoiled and can't really stand to look at all unnecessary spam when I'm running around, fighting or hunting.
    I haven't noticed this on wundersys.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.