Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Data recovery

BereneneBerenene Member Posts: 1,892 @@ - Legendary Achaean
So I need some help, and who better to turn to then my gamer friends.  I have a hard drive that has become all befuddled and am needing to try and extract as much data off it as possible.  I've tried finding some data recovery software, and all the ones I've found will let you scan but will only limit you to say 1 gb to recover before making you purchase the software.  Seeing as that isn't a viable option for me, does anyone know of any reasonable data recovery software that is free?
Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.

Comments

  • AesiAesi Member Posts: 1,222 @ - Epic Achaean
    edited January 2016
    Hey, 12+ years computer technician here who does data recovery.


    What's the state of the drive?

    Does it mount in windows (can you access it?)

    Is it clicking?

    If you are savvy, I would use linux and take a dd image of the drive.

    If not so savvy, I would use TestDisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk (while still an advanced program there are guides)

    guide here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

    you might also consider PhotoRec: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec if you don't need deep disk recovery.

    ----

    If you have no backup and can't live without your files, honestly I would take it to a professional. However if you are reasonably good with computers and are willing to take a risk have at it.

    BereneneSpas
  • SobriquetSobriquet Member Posts: 2,422 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I use photorec for all my data recovery jobs and has worked well enough so far.
    image
    AesiBerenene
  • BereneneBerenene Member Posts: 1,892 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I am savvy, work IT myself, just don't have any software for data recovery.  It's gone back to RAW format.  It does mount when I connect it into my PC, but gives the "you must format this drive" message.  Thanks for the info.  I'll give it a go.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
    Aesi
  • AesiAesi Member Posts: 1,222 @ - Epic Achaean
    Berenene said:
    I am savvy, work IT myself, just don't have any software for data recovery.  It's gone back to RAW format.  It does mount when I connect it into my PC, but gives the "you must format this drive" message.  Thanks for the info.  I'll give it a go.
    Pardon the disclaimers then, but you know, been blamed for losing someone's photos enough!
  • BereneneBerenene Member Posts: 1,892 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    No no. All good. I know that feeling. "ever since you came here my point of sale system has been running slow. You did something to it and broke it" "im sorry, but all I did was swap your monitor"
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
    Antidas
  • AesiAesi Member Posts: 1,222 @ - Epic Achaean
    Berenene said:
    No no. All good. I know that feeling. "ever since you came here my point of sale system has been running slow. You did something to it and broke it" "im sorry, but all I did was swap your monitor"
    I have literally literally been told that someone's VCR started blinking 12:00 after I fixed their PC.
  • AmanuAmanu Forge TreeMember Posts: 830 @ - Epic Achaean
    Aesi said:
    Berenene said:
    No no. All good. I know that feeling. "ever since you came here my point of sale system has been running slow. You did something to it and broke it" "im sorry, but all I did was swap your monitor"
    I have literally literally been told that someone's VCR started blinking 12:00 after I fixed their PC.
    How dare you mess up a device that isn't normally connected to a PC?! 

    AesiBerenene
Sign In to Comment.