New support resource for visually impaired players.

TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods

We're implementing a new clan to support current and future players with visual impairments. We hope that we can establish this as a central location for playing tips, client-side scripts, and just generally supporting users of screen readers and accessibility software.

This is a slot-free clan, and is open to everyone! If you're interested in joining, just drop me a message or contact anyone listed in CLANHELP VIP.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    That was very thoughtful of you guys. =)
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Awesome.
  • LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    I like how Visually Impaired Players and Very Important People have the same acronym... To echo Tvistor, admin bias!!

On a more serious note, I wonder if most VIPs use screen readers as opposed to refreshable Braille displays. I did some Braille transcribing and I think my hands would fall off if I had to read all of Achaea's text, but on the other hand screen readers can be too slow.
  • Love the acronym. And I didn't know about refreshable Braille display... that's like the coolest thing ever.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Lothien said:
    I like how Visually Impaired Players and Very Important People have the same acronym... To echo Tvistor, admin bias!!

On a more serious note, I wonder if most VIPs use screen readers as opposed to refreshable Braille displays. I did some Braille transcribing and I think my hands would fall off if I had to read all of Achaea's text, but on the other hand screen readers can be too slow.
    My impression from various forum discussions is that the usual is screenreaders with JAWS or something similar is the norm. The VIPs (in both senses) can surely provide more detail.
  • A screen reader on cranked up rate of speech is significantly faster to a braille display. Combat on a braille display would be pretty much hopeless from the get go, and normal movement and such pretty annoying too. I'd be pretty surprised to find Achaeans using one to play, but some people are masochists, so who knows!

• When I used to Skype with the Sliffmaster, his screen reader would be churning out chat so fast. I imagine you'd need to gag absolutely everything in combat and use sound files.
  • I actually don't have that many gagged things. Just the prompt, pt, mindnet/alertness and a couple other things. Only time I find gagging necessary is to shorten a line so it doesn't take all day to listen to.

Oh, and breathing.

• I would call you now and breathe heavily into the receiver but I don't want to pay international costs. (or try to get your phone number)
  • Should I feel bad when my monk telepathically spams you, Tanris? :(
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    It is easy enough to skip over lines you don't want to hear.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Now I can only picture Tanris as Ben Affleck's Daredevil. And he fights better when it rains.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Watching my girlfriend use a refreshable Braille display, I can say with certainty that I would be in the hospital if she played Achaea using one. 

Now what I am curious about, is what client the blind player-base uses. I've looked into VIPmud, I know Tanris uses Mush, my protege is helping with Mudlet's reader version.
  • Achaea looks like it will be the coolest game in the history of the world, if I can just figure it all out.  I'm using Jaws as my screen reader, and playing through the VIPMUD client.  I have read so much today, between the help files, newbie guides, Sentinels of Nature house rules and bylaws, etc., that I am completely overwhelmed.  So I guess my first question is how to join this clan.  What specifically do I need to do?  Sorry if this question has an obvious answer, I imagine I'll catch on to things quickly, but for now, I am just mesmerized by the magnitude of all the info I seem to need to know right away.

• @Kalici We'll get you added as soon as we see you in-game. Tecton and myself can both do it. We're going to add an option to get auto-inducted into that clan when you turn on the screenreader option too I think (config screenreader on). Right now, that mainly just suppresses prompts, but it'll do some additional things in the future to make life easier for VIPs too.
  • Awesome!  Thank you!  I'm on a LOT right now, because I'm trying to read all the help files to see what I need to do for my house and my city, so I don't think you'll have any trouble finding me.