How many days are in an Achaean week?

AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
edited June 2015 in North of Thera
I was refreshing myself on some canon history earlier, and while re-reading the bit about the Ashtan-Shallam wars, I came across the word "week". It got me to wondering, just how long is an Achaean week? The seven-day week utilized in real life doesn't translate very well to Achaean time, which seems to divide into the other units of time - days, months years - much more smoothly than real time ever will. It stands to be argued, then, that an Achaean week has but five days, and an Achaean month has five weeks. Can anyone clarify this for me? @Sarapis, or @Tecton, perhaps? And furthermore, what are the days of the Achaean week called?
My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!

Comments

• The handwave answer is that this refers to the old Church calendar, which was hugely different to the calendar that we use today. We have not recognised weeks since the fall of Seleucar.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    The Old Church Calendar, itself inspiring a myriad of unanswered questions, remains the bane of my existence. 
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Oi was someone prepping to lecture on the burning times again?
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Sarapis said:
    @Jinsun Nobody wants to hear about anybody's rash.
    Like that one you got after you got burned by @Lorielan and the boys?
  • Jinsun said:
    Sarapis said:
    That was more of a genocidal urge, really, that I barely restrained myself from indulging.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Sarapis said:
    Jinsun said:
    Sarapis said:
    I barely restrained my indulging.
    FTFY
  • I do like using Achaean hours sometimes, but I can't imagine when a week would be a necessary measure of time to use in conversation, and anything planned ahead is best referenced to the Orphean serenade. If we did need something between day and month, though, I'd propose using tendays from Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series.

• I enjoy using things like 'eight hours' instead of 'fifteen minutes' (or twelve instead of thirty, which are really the only two that come up with any degree of frequency) because I think it's more immediately appealing and helps to retain immersion (and also you get style points). Compare those to 'quarter of a day,' 'half a day,' 'twelve hours (OOC: 30 minutes),' etc.

If there had to be a week, I'd think five days over ten would be better just because it's a cleaner fit for the 25-day Achaean month, and it largely seems to me like most people who log in do so for about that long at most.
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Amunet said:
    The Old Church Calendar, itself inspiring a myriad of unanswered questions, remains the bane of my existence. 
    Old Church/Good anything is pretty dry and barebones as far as historical canon goes, yeah. Handwave handwave handwave

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • edited July 2015
    For shorter amounts of time, I don't think there's much point in trying to avoid real-world time increments. "Eight hours" for fifteen minutes is confusing (I would have to stop and think about how long that actually is if someone said it to me in-game).

I'm not sure there's any way to avoid the immersion-breaking of small-scale time unless you want to start suggesting that people in Achaea really do speak and act about 24-times slower than in real-life and there really are several-minute pauses between every sentence in a fluid conversation (or even very regular hour-long pauses).

I think the difference between the game's calendar-time and the real-time we actually interact in is just something you have to suspend disbelief about. At least for me, using calendar-time increments to describe action happening at a real-time resolution calls attention to the difference if anything.

Although, to be fair, I guess thinking of travel time in terms of calendar-time actually makes at least slightly more sense than walking across the continent in a few seconds.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Tael said:
    For shorter amounts of time, I don't think there's much point in trying to avoid real-world time increments. "Eight hours" for fifteen minutes is confusing (I would have to stop and think about how long that actually is if someone said it to me in-game).
    Erm
    Tael said:
    "Eight hours" for fifteen minutes is confusing (I would have to stop and think about how long that actually is if someone said it to me in-game).
    Hold on a second. Hrm...
    Tael said:
    "Eight hours" for fifteen minutes
    Somethings not quite right here...
    Tael said:
    "Eight hours"
    Math... quarter...
    Tael said:
    fifteen minutes
    Does not compute...

@Mathonwy
    Huh. Neat.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who paused at that.

• Meh, mathematics aren't my forte. You know what I meant.
    Saeva said:
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Case in point about it being confusing I guess?
  • edited July 2015
    No, just case in point that I suck at math. The difference between six and eight hours in Achaea is, what, five minutes IRL? It usually takes that long just to get everyone to quiet down at any sort of event anyway, so it's not so big a deal.
    Saeva said:
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.