Failure for City Bounties

Suggestion : make bounties akin to Mark contracts. If target kills you, bounty is over.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]

Comments

• KelloniusKellonius Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Bounties also shouldn't run out if the target isn't logged in or if they are just idle on a guard stack in their own city. I also wish there were more penalties for metagamey asshats like someone I recently took a bounty on, that immediately qq, get on their Targ alt and then avoid me for 5 days. 
  • edited June 2015
    - 2015/06/16 04:52:24 - Held captive by the funeral mass of Page Aquil Winterhart, Rua Kopaka, 
    Seragorn has died with her song.
    - 2015/06/16 04:56:13 - Held captive by the funeral mass of Page Aquil Winterhart, Rua Kopaka, 
    - 2015/06/16 04:56:47 - Held captive by the funeral mass of Page Aquil Winterhart, Rua Kopaka, 

This should not have to happen where he throws himself at me in a one room exit in a Temple to try and kill me over and over with absolutely 0 regard for his own safety because if he fails he can just 'try again' until he gets it.

I'm personally happy, yes, that I am positive in experience and whatnot. But the whole aspect that he kept jumping me until he finally got it is just annoying. There should be a 3 strikes you're out rule. Or after the first death it should go back to the bounty board with reduced time. Or just vanish entirely. 

Bounties are extremely fun for the person who took it and in a sense it can be for someone who's majorly into PK. But when they're in a totally different league than you and can just throw themselves at you over and over and over again, it becomes a whole lot less fun and just kind of annoying.
  • Have to agree with Jhui there. 

He gifted you 3 pops of xp, which was more than you'd make hunting in that time, and maybe more if he didn't kill you.

You should like that. Sure if they're completely decimating you I can see it being crap, but if you fight then that's a single interaction usually, win or lose.

He isn't in a different league than you, considering you killed him three times in a row. Have you seen him fight other people? Should be ecstatic, imo.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited June 2015
    Atalkez said:
    Have to agree with Jhui there. 

He gifted you 3 pops of xp, which was more than you'd make hunting in that time, and maybe more if he didn't kill you.

You should like that. Sure if they're completely decimating you I can see it being crap, but if you fight then that's a single interaction usually, win or lose.

He isn't in a different league than you, considering you killed him three times in a row. Have you seen him fight other people? Should be ecstatic, imo.

I made 4% which is 3 times less than I'd make on a hunting trip.

Not saying I don't appreciate it, it's just annoying because like Santar's post where Amranu died 9 times before he got it. It's annoying as fuck. Especially when you're in the middle of some form of dedicated RP and he just comes along. I'd rather him just spam warhorn and I deleteFull() it and can get on with my life until he just jumps me. Then like a contract, should fail when you kill them.
    I just told him to wait and I'd duel him because it was annoying and boring to just wait for a prism and fmass. He was just going to bring in the rest of Ashtan anyways to finally get it, and don't need that happening in a Temple.

And no, he's out of my league. He prism'd into a one room exit that I icewalled and then funeralmassed while he tried to go for kill sequence then had to wait for him to leave astral and finish deffing before he came in and repeat.

Jhui said:
    You should be happy about that.  That's called interactive and fun bounty hunting.  Dude's trying to tackle the odds to complete this bounty.  If bounties were removed when the person dies, then they are not encouraged to take these risks to complete it.  It's a pretty nice system.  If you get a bounty on you, just take the death or accept your consequences.  A death is no biggy.

You know what would suck?  A serpent getting it and just backstabbing you while bashing and any time you attempt to fight back they run until you're back to bashing again.  Someone dying over and over to you should be a gift.

Nah, metawake on and after 5 EZ months of eye sigiling and metawake no bounty anymore. I wouldn't mind that honestly, and I only hunt in groups now so I'd like to see that happen. 

I'm just stating after 3 strikes or so they should lose the bounty. I personally think it's a stupid system that only gets boring and annoying after the second death they give you.
  • Seems hard to find a solution that encourages the bounty taker to take some risks and not make this another 'have to win' scenario in this game.  2-3 deaths before returning bounty to the board could be the solution, but seems clunky.  Let people get their PK on.  It was initiated by the person that had the bounty placed on them in the first place.  If someone doesn't like it and it hurts their game-play, the solution is in their hands already.

It's refreshing to see people ignore the possibility of losing because they are trying to complete a bounty.  I wouldn't want that to go away.
  • An unholy combination of yolo, programming and artefacts.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    The "You got put on the bounty board, accept your death" arguments don't hold water because there's no criteria for being put on the bounty board. MINSECs can add someone to the bounty board just because they don't like them; not every bounty is valid, so the target needs a way to win, too.

I agree that bounties shouldn't be like mark contracts, and I agree that with Jhui in that bounties should be more forgiving and encouraging more risk-taking than Mark contracts. Bounties offer opportunities to foster some good-natured combat between factions in ways that shrines and contracts don't. But the instances we've seen of that kind of "eventually-I'll-get-lucky" bounty fulfillment are pretty annoying. That DOES encourage the target to just log out, because their options are either A) let you kill them, or B) spend their every waking moment dealing with you as you throw yourself at them.

What if killing the bounty holder set it "dormant" for a while? It's metagamey without any good IC explanation, but it would solve that annoying problem without changing the system much. Attempting the bounty every hour? That's cool. Attempting the bounty every 3 minutes from death-to-Cave? That's not cool.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:
    The "You got put on the bounty board, accept your death" arguments don't hold water because there's no criteria for being put on the bounty board. MINSECs can add someone to the bounty board just because they don't like them; not every bounty is valid, so the target needs a way to win, too.

I don't think min secs are allowed to do this (without getting in trouble).  If they were, you know we'd abuse it.
    Ehh, the HELP says bounties are for organizational crimes only, so you "can't" just add them because you don't like them, but organizational crimes are whatever the org wants them to be, and there's no oversight or appeals process for that, so yes you can.

If I wanted to put someone on Cyrene's bounty board because I didn't like them, I could come up with a reason/justification to do so. ("Disrespect" is a org crime in Cyrene, I shit you not) I was enemied to Ashtan for attacking Hirst while he was raiding in Cyrene, so you could put me on the bounty board for that if you wanted.

So yeah. There does need to be some "win" condition for the bounty target, even if its only a temporary reprieve, because right now all the power is in the hands of the org/bounty hunter.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Ya I doubt you'd see a min sec get away with that. Raiding/trespassing would be the normal reasons.  Hence the person the bounty is on is the instigator. If you're trying to assume bounties don't work that way then any system is flawed 
    I'm sure a minister would get reigned in they were being gratuitous or obvious about it, but I don't think it's fair to say that just because a city puts a bounty on you, you deserve it and should just accept your inevitable death. There still needs to be a "win" condition for the target that doesn't involve logging out or dealing with the constant advances of the bounty hunter, every 3 minutes, for 5 (real) days.
  • edited June 2015

What is interesting though, Aerek, is that a person who is unjustly bountied (and not a top tier fighter) is not helped at all by the proposed change.  If anything, you might consider clearing a bounty to stop a "gravy train" for the bountied person, but not to protect bountied people from rogue ministers.  The person this change would benefit doesn't need that protection.  That person can and will very possibly already collect several "pops of XP" as Atalkez pointed out.  Again, if anything, it at least stops the gravy train for the bountied guy who is like "sure, send another one"... but it does also deny the org the emotional satisfaction of ultimately killing the bountied person (which they might value highly, even if it costs them more than it should). 

• Jhui said:
    Aerek said:

I don't think min secs are allowed to do this (without getting in trouble).  If they were, you know we'd abuse it.
    This is correct. I tried to put a second bounty up on someone after it had expired due to a temporary cease-fire between Targossas and Eleusis. Said person promptly issued themselves and had an admin contact me and force me to take it down. Point being, if a bounty is illegitimate or otherwise illegal, admins will do something about it if they are aware.

• To be quite honest, if you know you have a bounty on your head and you do -everything- you can do to -not- die to the bounty, then you're the one prolonging the issue.

As a bounty hunter, I'm going to be watching you and take any chance I get. I've walked into a room of 3 people alone and attacked because the person would never leave the city.

You can't whine and say the bounty is why you're not enjoying the conflict, when (for all intents and purposes) -you're- the one who instigated the conflict to a degree. If you get attacked then run to your city and sit for 4 days, you have -zero- leg to stand on to complain about how long it takes or whatever, because you're metagaming your way out of the bounty.

If you stand up and take the fight, and win, there -should- be some sort of reprieve. Maybe giving you a cooldown on the cause to be able to attack you (ie, attack and die gives me 1 hr of "non-cause" time, meaning if you attack me again I can hire/issue on you) or something. Even resetting it to the board.

@Noak took a bounty on me today, and the first thing I did was Market that I was waiting on clouds for the bounty-taker. If you let go of the possibility of dying and just roll with it, it's a lot more fun.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • It's sort of disappointing they limit to a single bounty hunter who seems to sort of have a "contract".  In my game, anyone in the org can just do "BOUNTIES", and hunt anyone on the list until that person dies (which removes the bounty).  It can also certainly be coordinated if necessary, as Iakimen mentions. 

• We talked about adopting that system in Ashtan, without the mechanics obviously.

Just hunt the person city-wide until someone kills, whoever does gets the reward. It really is kind of odd that you walk to the board and "claim" the bounty and no one else even has an opportunity to attack that person.

Would be nice to just post them to the board, and while you have a bounty out on your head, you're open PK to that entire faction. If I raid Targossas, I shouldn't suffer reprecussions from 1 person (if they choose to), it should be a city-wide effort to handle the problem in my opinion.

Of course changing it to this type of system would require some sort of "win" for the bandit, such as 3 successful kills without dying to that faction wipes your bounty clean, forcing you to actively seek out that faction's players to wipe off the bounty. Make them not decay.

• edited June 2015
    Atalkez said:

To be quite honest, if you know you have a bounty on your head and you do -everything- you can do to -not- die to the bounty, then you're the one prolonging the issue.

I cannot comprehend this at all. If a bounty is on your head, if you don't die it's your fault you're getting attacked? That's terrible logic.

Yes, the system should encourage bounty hunters to take some risk to get the bounty.
    No, the system should not encourage less action against cities because you should be resigned to a death for doing so.

There should be no loss besides standard death for failing a bounty, but you should, individually, lose the chance to complete that specific bounty.

-Make the bounty time tick down as it does whenever someone has it accepted.
    -List time remaining on the bounty board
    -If you are killed by bounty target, the bounty automatically returns to the bounty board with remaining time equal to the time when you died
       *The original bounty taker cannot re-accept the bounty OR can only re-accept after a time limit (this would ideally also come with a lesser time penalty on the remaining bounty time)

This keeps the same vulnerable time frame for the target without forcing them to deal with constant attacks from a single individual (Read: Bad conflict loop). The city is not penalized in any way, there's no incentive to nullify-gank the bounty holder like a contract because you just end up with the next person picking it up later, there's no added loss to the original bounty holder.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Jarrod said:
    Atalkez said:

To be quite honest, if you know you have a bounty on your head and you do -everything- you can do to -not- die to the bounty, then you're the one prolonging the issue.

I cannot comprehend this at all. If a bounty is on your head, if you don't die it's your fault you're getting attacked? That's terrible logic.

What I mean is, if you get a bounty placed on your head, then QQ or afk on ship for the next 3 days, you have no reason to whine about being attacked repeatedly, under the current incarnation of the system. Unless I'm wrong (I don't think so, but possible) the bounty decreases in time as long as the bounty holder is in realms, not the bountee - so if I'm here playing and you qq for 5 days, I lose the chance to get the bounty completed.

We're all saying the same thing, in different ways.

• Ah ok, I thought you meant that getting jumped and not dying was the target's fault for getting jumped the next time, etc. Makes sense.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• edited June 2015

Aquil did bring up a QoL issue that I don't think has been addressed fully, although I agree heartily that if someone is throwing themselves at you and dying repeatedly in Achaea you should be appreciative.  I'd be careful about saying "if someone dies they can't go after the target" though, because in Aquil's case he freely admits the bounty hunter was "out of his league", but that guy still died 3 times, I imagine due to other circumstances.  Other people mentioned bounty hunters taking incredible risks as well, and if you say "you die, you can't hunt again", that does seem to discourage people from taking those big risks, which is what you want, right? 

That said, sometimes you just want to go shopping, or get your arpee on, or whatever, and bounties can be awfully insistent.  Being bountied is certainly "opt-in" in a sense, but once you're in, you're in that mode until the bounty clears, whether you're in the mood for that sort of gameplay or not.  Fine, but you can understand why people want to get to a resolution, and might not want to stay in that mode for an extended period.

Anyway, when I am bountied in my game, I have all sorts of vehicles to seek out people from the org that bountied me and/or attract their attention (and this is exactly what I do).  That said, all it usually takes is going somewhere and loitering until someone comes to attack.  Of course I am going to kill someone who comes after me if at all possible (it's not if they are any good :( ), but ultimately, both the bountying org and I are on the same page - we want to clear that bounty so we can all go back to doing something else for awhile. 

It looks like the bountying org and the person bountied still aren't on the same page over here, and I am betting that someone like Aquil would use the sort of things I am talking about exactly because he does want to go back to a more normal existence.  Not everyone who likes PK wants to be constantly jumped, and that is more of a lifestyle/QoL matter than anything.  So in short, providing vehicles for the person to say "come and get me, I dare ya" (without incurring another bounty, and ideally without opening themselves up to being killed by someone who can't clear the bounty) would probably be even more useful in a bigger game like Achaea, where people might be more likely to get lost in the shuffle.   

• The City-wide thing that @Atalkez mentioned I think would be a really great way of adding dynamic pvp into the game. There are too few reasons to hunt people; I think that would add a lot more fighting. Though with a few tweaks, can't just "hunt anyone in that faction". Could hard-code a way to join the city's "bounty team" or something.

• Stuneree said:
    The City-wide thing that @Atalkez mentioned I think would be a really great way of adding dynamic pvp into the game.
    Not really. It might be cynical of me, but I think you'd probably wind up getting 3-4 person gank squads and even more people sitting on guard stacks until the bounty runs out. I don't think the bounty system should be a free-for-all.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• @Sarathai
    Actually yeah, I didn't consider the guard-stack part of that.
    Though I personally think group-PK outside of raids would be fun if it actually happened (more often).

• City-wide response purely encourages large gank groups, which is the opposite of a good environment to get players into PK.

• Having the ability to knock out the bounty holder, sending the bounty back to the board, would also provide incentive to take up a duel. There's no point in accepting a duel here, unless you do it with the intention to lose and clear the bounty that way. If you win, they'll try again. Or if they find they can't beat you, then they'll gank you when you're bashing or hanging out somewhere, or they bring friends to raid. So what's the point in accepting a duel when you might as well just sit down and let the bountyholder kill you to get rid of it, and that's surely not what this system is about.

Having the ability to 'win' would make it far more appealing for the criminal to step up and fight the bounty holder. I think you might see more willing fights this way. Having the reward increase on each failed attempt would be good incentive for people to try again.