Achaean Wishlist

JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
edited May 2015 in North of Thera
I'm bored and slightly hyper at work but is lunchtime soon so I'm not going to bother doing any actual work for now <_< I was daydreaming about stuff I'd love to see in Achaea, so I figure why not list stuff down and maybe it can inspire some ideas for admin or for anyone else to incorporate. (by the time I finished writing this it was already not lunch)

As probably expected from anyone who knows me, my list will be very much housing-related.

I would love:

Housing
-------
- A greater variety of servants (musicians, clerics, guard, groundskeeper, stablemaster, handmaiden etc)
- Much more functionality for servants, basically make them be a pet but tied to the house. Allow them to take messages, announce attendance, be summoned and dismissed from anywhere in the house, be able to ''stock'' them with items that they can give out, not drop items on death, etc etc. Sooooo much potential here.
- Houses being directly linked to city streets (not possible at this stage, but just dreaming)
- A greater variety of housing-related items being sold in denizen shops, including instruments, furniture, decorations, lighting etc
- An overhaul of the furniture system to either allow adventurer creation (dangerous, I know) or revamp the existing for slightly more interesting appearances akin to the Lothos statuette creation or current forging parameters
- More upgrades! Underwater designation, property-wide bell or announce system like the arena, more options for doors and entrances, ponds, plantable flowers, gardening in general???? statuemaking, probably a hundred other upgrades I thought about in my previous topic but I've forgotten now.

Bloodlining and families
---------------------
- For there to exist an 'adoption' designation in the bloodline records
- For there to be some kind of a registry for noble family houses ala Game of Thrones
- Allow names to be struck from the record and have an alternative method for determining ''true'' offspring
- In relation to housing, allow noble families to purchase ''estate'' plots where designated members of the family could all influence building and furniture placement, overseen by the family leader

General
-------
- More Itinerant Bazaars. Perhaps even the opportunity to submit ideas for items that can be made, and if chosen you get a free copy of the item (with luck, non decay, but that might be pushing it)
- More benign events that anyone can join, maybe like a cooking competition. We can do it ourselves as players but some things are just more exciting when you have admin powers - the ability to instantly create a recipe, for example, so time limits can be imposed and actually result in dishes. But that's just one example.
- Carts to be made a more generally available item that anyone can buy. Perhaps even have the Delos Marketplace expanded so that people can rent stalls and set up temporary booths which can't be moved from Delos, thereby carts would still be a good option for people who want it at a more travelled location.
- More civilisations on Meropis, maybe like a new city or something. Major pipe dream but why not.
- I imagine this is not possible with the code, but I'd love to be able to set the dropped description of an item manually. So many times I've wanted something but decided against it because of how it looks when dropped (this is usually housing-related) Maybe for items in the future their dropped descs could be more vague so we can rp having them elsewhere that isn't on the floor or collecting dust on the ground?
- More interesting mounts that are legendsteeds.

I have too much time at work.

Anyway! Tell me what you'd like to see in Achaea. Don't put pointless things like ''less INTERNET trolls'' or ''more respect'' and whatnot because those aren't mechanical game issues.
If you like my stories, you can find them here:
Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

Comments

• More Trolls. Not that I've been exploring, but I have only ever seen the one tribe of trolls.

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    Ocean/beach/coastal/shallows fishing! As discussed here... but I don't think it got added to the List. (Please add it to the List?)
  • Borran said:
    More Trolls. Not that I've been exploring, but I have only ever seen the one tribe of trolls.
    Qurnok, Riagath (two tribes), Kasmarkin (all dead, but still), probably some other places that I'm forgetting. I think Rhodestrian has at least a troll population, but I don't know offhand if they're a singular tribe.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    If there are more special events and bazaars, they become less exciting when they do occur.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited May 2015
    Well, they needn't offer a wide variety of items, nor happen all that often (maybe once every few months), but I think it's been quite some time since the last! As I recall the last was the fallen gods-inspired one, but maybe I've missed one since then. I know they take quite a bit of work though, so I understand why there aren't more.

In regards to (small) scale events, I actually think it would be a good thing if they were less 'special', because the ones I'm thinking of aren't really meant to be HUGE events ala Bal'met, just more on the level of a local festival - fairly interesting and worth going to, but your day isn't ruined if you miss it. That also means it could be done at any hour of the day and it doesn't have to cater to the most amount of people around at the time.

I think any admin-run event would have interest anyway, but making it more common and low-key means that perhaps you get to actually roleplay in a more intimate setting without having everyone crowding in wanting to be a part of the rare action. That's just how I prefer things though.

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    Sarathai said:Qurnok, Riagath (two tribes), Kasmarkin (all dead, but still), probably some other places that I'm forgetting. I think Rhodestrian has at least a troll 

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
    Mishgul said:
    You should make your own bazaar! With player character sellers instead of NPCs. The only custom things you probably couldn't stock would be the custom mounts, though i am sure you could twist a few administrative arms. 

The only problem would be that you would get less novelty out if it personally because you designed it. I definitely feel like players should take more responsibility in this kind of thing though.

You know what I will do it. My next goal in life is to host a bazaar.
    Well, we sort of tried to encourage that with the Convention, but I'm not sure how many cities actually ended up bringing items to sell. The difference between a bazaar and an auction is that a lot of people get access to an item in the first, which means it would have to be something there was a decent quantity of, whereas the second can have more interesting items but much likely in far less quantities.

I definitely agree players should take the lead in these and other similar events, and we do have something in the works for the next Restoration event which we're waiting to hear back on from other involved parties. But yes! By all means. More player events is a good thing.

Other people: come on people actually post new stuff you'd like to see! 

• edited May 2015
    A NPC based off Rupaul...
  • I would like to see the introduction of a new Race. I've seen 2 new classes, but no new races. And one with an awesome background, with its own new area to explore.

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    *More outer islands to sail to and explore, with more ship trade options!

*Houses that can be owned by a clan, or at least the ability to give others perms to drop stuff, yes please.

*An item from the artefact shop that non decays something when poured over it. Another to make it resetting to where it was when you used it (only allowed somewhere you have perms to place/drop stuff, ie house, ship, househall) This would be so much easier than emailing admin all time. 

*A discount on nondecay/resetting/customising something at once - 125cr for all three? Only one takes serious admin approval, the rest are a glance. This would encourage people to do all of them together saving approval time, and possibly gtting more credits as more people would make stuff resetting rather than just nondecay/custom.

*More out of subs plots. Want. So badly. 

*Being able to 'upgrade' custom mounts and pets to artefact pets by paying an extra fee, and submitting the reactions. Having spent around 375 credits on a customised pegasus, I really don't like the idea of having to pay a full pet custom to get the same thing made up. A 250cr discount would make it worth considering though, ie the cost of the collar.

*More High Clans! This one is something for the player base over time though, but I think they're really interesting. Actually, being able to have a bit more structure to them would be nice. You can't even view positions the way you can with regular clans?

*More variety for the cooking skill. I'm not sure how to do that, but sometimes you don't want a bowl of something damn it, and there's not many options besides the plate/bowl/etc, that you just have to shove it onto a dish even if it doesn't really fit.

*Heraldry! More stuff. Just being greedy here, but more options would be amazing. One thing I'd love is being able to overlay charges that made sense, or modify them. So you could have say 'A winged dagger' charge. More colours! 

*Permanent sigils for houses. The one thing (other than unavailable out of subs plots) that really puts me off investing seriously into a house is how easy it is to break into. Perma sigils would help, it wouldn't be impossible but it'd be a start. Currently you're far better off building a house on a ship, which is... daft.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• I can only think of three things right now, but I think all would be nifty.

-Ship Channel would be nice. This current event showed me that sometimes you need partytells to coordinate a whole slew of people on land and sea, but it would be nice for everyone on a ship to talk to one another. Especially if weapons are separated or you have someone in the mast doing lookout. I t would be useful to have a ship wide communication for when parties contain people from other ships.

-I think Housing moving further and further into the realms of 'Hearthstone' from Skyrim would be awesome. Using more and more comms to add to your house or customize rooms. Even if you had to add more comms and comm shops as a result, this would be great. Example could be like using elemental ice or something to create a garden out of a urban room as if restoring it to a natural state. 

-A 'craftmanship' mini skill that worked like Weaponmastery where you pick a branch and proceed. This would let you make vials and more useful/everyday nifty items. So someone who does woodcarving could make vials out of wood, get the designs approved and what not. This puts more customizing in the hands of the playerbase in more than just one off event contests and such. I could see other things like furniture making being in here, as I feel the furniture system is rather bland and silly. Imagine being able to just design an awesome set of chairs and make them with commodities. 

• Daeir said:
    More than anything else, I'd like to see a tangible weather system for specific locales of the mainland. The temperature should be obvious based on environmental ambiance, and not have to be dug out of the FORECAST command. Extreme cold and heat should impose penalties on people for exposure (as they once did iirc, at least with cold) if they're not adequately dressed.
    Given what people have said about the weather code, I think it would probably require rebuilding it from the ground up.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• No to the "true" bloodline bit.

Aside from that, rewrite Domination. It's a pity that one of the entities is literally a one line description.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Re-ship channel: use party and ship announce.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    Re-ship channel: use party and ship announce.
    Oh. I know there are things you can do in proxy to a ship channel. In this case we were on a party to an event do we could not use it alone and we had random
    people on board the ship. I just simply think it would be a welcome addition to make things easier and let you highlight it internally rather than have to mess with ship announce client side. If it does not happen, or never happens, I would understand why. I just think that it would make things simpler and more streamlined. Though I understand it not being a priority to sink coder time into. I just see it akin to group channel. 
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Jurixe said:

- More upgrades! Underwater designation, property-wide bell or announce system like the arena, more options for doors and entrances, ponds, plantable flowers, gardening in general???? statuemaking, probably a hundred other upgrades I thought about in my previous topic but I've forgotten now.

Bloodlining and families
    ---------------------
    - For there to exist an 'adoption' designation in the bloodline records
    - For there to be some kind of a registry for noble family houses ala Game of Thrones
    - Allow names to be struck from the record and have an alternative method for determining ''true'' offspring
    - In relation to housing, allow noble families to purchase ''estate'' plots where designated members of the family could all influence building and furniture placement, overseen by the family leader

Yes, more door options. Like a gate, (not just the stable gate) because not all subdivision plots open to the house immediately. And things like a hatch would be fun rather than a plain door. But I really need a gate.

Adoption would be brilliant. Stuck out names in registries would be brilliant.

More family related things in general would be nice. Your list is pretty amazing over all, but I needed to throw my support behind more doors specifically.
  • Antonius said:

Housing: Link a single house to more than one plot, allowing you to have, for example, a front and back door that let out on adjacent plots. Or an actual manor house that spans a series of plots, with entrances/exits to different ones. Or a secret escape tunnel that lets out on the other side of the subdivision! Who doesn't want a secret escape tunnel?

100% this.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Would totally buy an adjacent subs plot if that was possible.

My wishlist:
     - More customisable denizen shops. (Eg. tapestry painter and puppet maker in Zanzibaar, statue carver on Lothos, journal bindery in Arcadia, burger shop in Ashtan, put-a-fish-on-a-plaque taxidermist in Thera.)

- More housing features you can purchase that would add to the atmosphere of the house, like the fireplace and the crystal ornament. Would like things such as baths where you can scrub in, torches that will occasionally have room emotes, swings which are functional for push/pull (unlike the furniture ones).
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• edited May 2015
    An aspidochelone.

Surfaces for a short time, goes under and is inaccessible for longer periods. Maybe an Achaean month up and a year or two down. If you want shorter periods, maybe two or three days up out of a month. Appears in one of a random set of locations at sea. If you're on it when it sinks, it's basically like Kasmarkin. Ships "docked" or are right next to it sink, too.

Throw some interesting stuff on it's back, maybe like the flooded ruins of a city that built itself there thinking it was dormant and just an island. Maybe when Sapience and Meropis broke apart, it woke it up and it promptly killed everyone on it. Remnants of buildings and pieces of the civilization that weren't swept away, now filled with various sea creatures, maybe some points where you can enter parts of the body of the beast and it's filled with parasites or something.

I've got a bunch of ideas for something like this, makes me wish I were a Divine and could implement it. Not ready to give up on being a mortal yet, though.
  • pirate class

more riddles

a new race or ten

a new ship thing where you sometimes randomly find pieces of treasure maps and once you have enough you put them all together and then follow the clues to find the secret treasure omg
    I was waiting for you to post @Blujixapug! Moar ideas, moar. 

So far I love a lot of the stuff mentioned, most especially the weather, housing being linked to other plots (because this would actually give a reason to own multiple plots), the ship treasure map thing and the customisable denizen items.

Seems like quite a few people want housing related stuff that aren't me, so yay. I'm pretty pleased to see more people with interest in it, whereas before it was considered a fairly peripheral hobby.

More ideas I thought of:

+ Encouraging people to gather at the inns and bars in cities by making it act as though it has a constant rite of well-being. I've played in other MUDs where the taverns restored your hp/sp from entering them and that was always a place to find great rp. If nothing else, it would be a good reason to be there other than just to idle.

+ Scent-making (as in perfume) and tattoo creation as wearable things, with effect messages for the perfume. Or if that's too annoying, maybe make it toggleable like the perfume pendants, which are great.

+ Drink creation - not even necessarily alcoholic, just drinks in general. 

+ This has been debated somewhat, but I think an introduction system (where you don't know a character's name or affiliation beyond what you can see them wearing and their description) went a long way towards giving people an excuse to talk to each other and would facilitate a lot of roleplay in the areas of impersonation and subterfuge. I think it's far too late for Achaea to implement this now, but this was a mechanic that I enjoyed in that other game and gave the different organisations a reason to have distinctive emblems and symbols so that they could be readily identifiable.

• Pause functionality for server-side queueing.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    More item creation options would be sweet. apart from being able to create your own packs, etc etc... I'd love to have temporary item creation. Like... without having to rely on admin approval, sometimes you just want a prop on the fly. You should be able to make something up like that maybe with a few IG days decay rate instead of passing the invisible RP prop around.