Pickpocket and Stealth tips.

edited May 2015 in Serpent
I'd like to have some tips on how pickpocket works on people.
I'd also like to have tips on staying stealthy (Not getting caught, or seen by others.)
It would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Another thing, is there a way to speed up the pickpocket action, with items or something like that?

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Dexterity affects pickpocket speed. Mesmerise helps you pickpocket.

Always evade in if you're pickpocketing.

Pickpocketing people who are mindless is usually the easiest and most profitable (low-hanging fruit and all).

Keep hide up. Keep track of how long you have left on your ghost/cloak so they don't give you away.

If you're trying to pickpocket a specific item, you're almost guaranteed to fail, so I wouldn't if I were you.

Uh, there's a lot more helpful tips, but I'll let others give those (aka I haven't stolen recently enough to remember 'em).
    Huh. Neat.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    While I am all for forums being a go to place for questions, I feel like this question would be best served in game.  Any tricks posted here are no longer tricks, but common knowledge.  Just my two sovereigns..
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Austere said:
    While I am all for forums being a go to place for questions, I feel like this question would be best served in game.  Any tricks posted here are no longer tricks, but common knowledge.  Just my two sovereigns..
    yah, that's why I only posted what was generally considered "Common knowledge", instead of the good ones :innocent: 

Huh. Neat.
  • Darn, alright. I'll ask other fellow Serpents in the realms.
  • What would be nice to see is great, public information for the other side, which does have a vested interest in sharing (accurate) information about theft as widely as possible.  Honestly, if people did that and were serious about it, thieves would probably start to throw their hands up in despair and it might become far less of a "thing" in game.  I was robbed once as a newbie (yes, I imagine I was probably over level 30 but believe me, I was absolutely new to Achaea and new to MUDs), and once under the new system when I came back from a long absence and wasn't up to date on anti-theft.  Whatever else theft is, it's not something that just magically only targets those horrible AFK-ers (although man, if you're not journaling when you do have to step away, you're definitely taking a chance there).  It also (usually) doesn't target paranoid people like me.  And people really are still pretty vulnerable under the new system until you have someone who knows what they're doing help you lock your character down.  I lost 50K within a matter of seconds, not much to me, but a lot of the game would be absolutely devastated over a loss like that.  Obviously, the thief never got caught when I hired on them (they rarely do, and don't really care about death anyway, mostly).  Unfun, punitive, one-sided mechanic blah blah.

Anyway, once the change to bank fees went in (that was a very good change), one of the best things you can do is really simple even if you don't have a friendly anti-theft knowledgeable serpent handy (although you should definitely seek one out).  Just never have more gold on you than you need to, and when you do need to have a relatively large sum out, go take care of your business with that gold IMMEDIATELY.  I mean, even though that 50K wasn't much to me, I'd never carry that much now unless I really had to, because it's worth stealing.  You don't want to have anything worth taking.  You want even a successful pickpocket to be as meager/disappointing as possible.  It's not very convenient, sure as hell isn't adding to my "experience", but absolutely something every last player should probably be doing.