Allow an artefact that lets a Blademaster choose the name of his or her blade

Comments

• I have seen so many people from good get blades with Unholy which were immediately humgii'd.. I do not think City affiliation influences sword name rng at all.

• Actually, I remember a news post about the Admin trying to make it more faction based...but only some!
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • Tael said:
    Dortheron said:
    Once saw a Mhaldorian newb get "Holy Mountain"

I once got Heavenly Suns on a Targossas alt. That was pretty neat.

I also once wielded the legendary Morning Python. And, even if I just humgii'd it (and expect most others would do the same), I would be sad to see no more jokes about Holy Cats or Morning Pythons.
    The one that sticks with me along those lines is still the Cyrenian siren with Heavenly Mountains. 
  • Going to give this a bump.

Shamelessly copied from elsewhere on the forums:

Aodfionn begins to wield Conquering Dawn, an aurulent broadsword in his right hand.

Still confused as to why things like this can be okay, but we have to get stuck with Singing Bass or try 100 times for a "good" name that actually fits the character. How badass of a name is Conquering Dawn? This isn't the only named one I've seen. I've seen dirks and longswords too. Anyway, bumped!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I have always personally disliked players customizing their own weapons to have Capital Names. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some legitimately cool ones, (Questron's crescent-shaped battleaxes, Wax and Wane, probably win my 1st place prize) but it's always struck me as rather pretentious, as if you're saying you're so famous, everyone in the world should know the name of your sword.

I kinda wish it wasn't allowed, even before BM, but especially now that BM exists and their named swords are a defining characteristic. (With their above mentioned inherent restrictions)
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I wonder how well-known it is that you can engrave on weapons or armour. That seems a much nicer compromise to me - you have your regular sword description, but when you probe it, it has the name. That's how I'd personally style mine if I ever wanted mine to have a name, anyway.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    You can't engrave on artefacts though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to come up with some kind of agreement with the admin about it, but I would definitely idea for artie weapons to be engravable too then.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Re: Capitalised weapon names

I like the idea of highly recognisable items. I can see it working awesomely if said named items were tied to positions and inherited/handed down the lines. I.E. Conquering Dawn being the weapon chosen by Aurora to be wielded by Her champion so you know just by looking at the blade that the holder is the current Champion.

We have this a lot more commonly with wearable items but you obviously won't notice them unless you look at the personal directly. I'd love to see more shields and weapons employed so you walk into a room you know IMMEDIATELY person with generic name hold some sort of position of power.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Tahquil said:
    Re: Capitalised weapon names

I like the idea of highly recognisable items. I can see it working awesomely if said named items were tied to positions and inherited/handed down the lines. I.E. Conquering Dawn being the weapon chosen by Aurora to be wielded by Her champion so you know just by looking at the blade that the holder is the current Champion.

We have this a lot more commonly with wearable items but you obviously won't notice them unless you look at the personal directly. I'd love to see more shields and weapons employed so you walk into a room you know IMMEDIATELY person with generic name hold some sort of position of power.
    I can see it now. The CIJ holds a yearly bloodbath to see which Jester shall reign supreme (and retain bragging rights!) for the next year, striking fear into the hearts of all with 'Lucille, the Rubber Chicken"!

On second thought, @Aktillum why have we not done this. Seriously. Someone deserves thumping on the head for this not having been done.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Exactly! Ask your Patron!
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    edited June 2015
    It's capital letters because it's a very specific sword that was forged with a core of Aurora's hair, and made partially from the shards of his longtime Blademaster sword - Conquering Waves, the one he had when he was "the blade of the Flood." It's a one-of-a-kind gift to Her Deacon - at least, that's the RP behind it. 

I personally really dig that I was able to do it, and the reason I did it was specifically because being a blademaster was a such a huge influence and focus of Aodfionn for such a long time.

As long as it's strictly a Patron oversight thing, that seems pretty reasonable. Simply picking from the pools seems less awesome, but to each their own.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • edited June 2015

It's a badass blade, no doubt about it. It's awesome that you have good RP behind it too.

Point being the only "named" blades are supposed to be the BM blades, and none of us get to choose them. The admins have stated time and again that they aren't going to be changing this, so giving someone the ability to name their lvl 2 sword kind of sucks some of the RP out of the entire thing to me. If we're going to use that as the reason to not allow BM to choose/change or at least influence, then why can you do it for an artie sword that there are hundreds of? Sure I can call the blade whatever I want, but the actual name won't change without some serious boons from a Divine.

Also not picking on specifically your sword. Like I said before I've seen dirks and things named on people that I know probably had zero RP for it, they just paid the money.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    People were naming weapons before BMs even existed. Some guy in Mhaldor has Kusanagi swords, Flametongue had Maelstrom and Riptide. A few other people had named weapons too.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Then why can't I pay $300 to change the name of my text sword.

Why u do dis @Tecton

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited June 2015
    Aerek said:
    I have always personally disliked players customizing their own weapons to have Capital Names. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some legitimately cool ones, (Questron's crescent-shaped battleaxes, Wax and Wane, probably win my 1st place prize) but it's always struck me as rather pretentious, as if you're saying you're so famous, everyone in the world should know the name of your sword.

I kinda wish it wasn't allowed, even before BM, but especially now that BM exists and their named swords are a defining characteristic. (With their above mentioned inherent restrictions)
    As someone else pointed in another thread, people know each other's names and a lot besides without ever being introduced. Knowing the name of someone's swords does not really strike me as something so much different. Besides, by that line of logic, BM's named swords aren't any better.

It certainly sucks for BMs that they can't have at least some measure of control in the blade's name, though

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Kyrra said:
    People were naming weapons before BMs even existed. Some guy in Mhaldor has Kusanagi swords, Flametongue had Maelstrom and Riptide. A few other people had named weapons too.
    @Khoraji had Lightsbane and the Manifestation of Hatred, but come on. It's Khoraji. 

• The only reason I'd even have any kind of problem with people doing almost whatever the heck they want with their weapons is the possibility of it being more difficult to trigger off of.  I mean, something like this truly is a case where no matter how pretentious or silly you think something is, unless it's something like 1337GodRapier, who cares? 

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Jules said:

The only reason I'd even have any kind of problem with people doing almost whatever the heck they want with their weapons is the possibility of it being more difficult to trigger off of.  I mean, something like this truly is a case where no matter how pretentious or silly you think something is, unless it's something like 1337GodRapier, who cares? 

I believe paralysis' line was changed after 8 years because someone upstairs finally realized that triggering nearly anything is fairly simple with enough patience (or copy pasting other people's work). Mudlet has this really neat regex (.*) that will match 1337GodRapier. 
  • Austere said:
    Jules said:

The only reason I'd even have any kind of problem with people doing almost whatever the heck they want with their weapons is the possibility of it being more difficult to trigger off of.  I mean, something like this truly is a case where no matter how pretentious or silly you think something is, unless it's something like 1337GodRapier, who cares? 

I believe paralysis' line was changed after 8 years because someone upstairs finally realized that triggering nearly anything is fairly simple with enough patience (or copy pasting other people's work). Mudlet has this really neat regex (.*) that will match 1337GodRapier. 
    \w+ (or \S+ is there are spaces).

Regex scrub.
  • Yeah, definitely (to the above posts).  I am hesitating a little bit with the catchall because I don't know how important it is to avoid using them with clever illusionists (and I admit to using them a LOT).  It could be a perfectly silly thing to be worried about for all I know.  Either way, even less reason to worry about what people want to name their weapons - unless it really is something as horrible as 1337GodRapier (which was the worst name I could think of off the top of my head). 
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Tael said:
    Austere said:
    Jules said:

Regex scrub.
    \S+ won't work if there are spaces, because \S+ is specifically matching non-whitespace.

Regex scrub.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Tael said:
    Austere said:
    Jules said:

Regex scrub.
    \S+ won't work if there are spaces, because \S+ is specifically matching non-whitespace.

Regex scrub.
    My shame. Bladesuicide time.

I wasn't thinking - I use \S+ all the time to match apostrophes.

At the very least one can use the more-civilised .+ though.

There is so much scandalous, undisciplined use of .* in Achaea regex.
  • edited June 2015
    Kyrra said:
    I think the ideal solution would be to get rid of this restriction. It always struck me as a weird restriction. Almost no one uses engraving (edit: in b4 someone posts to say "hey, but I have an engraved item") and I suspect that it would see a lot more use if it were allowed on artefacts, which tend to be more meaningful and which people more often have reason to engrave. And I think Jurixe is right that it would provide a really nice way of dealing with the named non-BM-sword issue.

@Tecton: Any explanation for exactly why engraving isn't allowed on artefacts? Is it a technical limitation involving how returning is coded or something like that?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I think its arbitrary in nature, at least as far as I can tell (#notanexpert), as you CAN engrave some artefacts. Both my wedding and engagement ring I had re-made into artefacts, and both are engraved. I think no weapons or the shield can be engraved, though.

Seems weird. Would be nice to have it lifted.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Tael said:
    Kyrra said:
    I think the ideal solution would be to get rid of this restriction. It always struck me as a weird restriction. Almost no one uses engraving (edit: in b4 someone posts to say "hey, but I have an engraved item") and I suspect that it would see a lot more use if it were allowed on artefacts, which tend to be more meaningful and which people more often have reason to engrave. And I think Jurixe is right that it would provide a really nice way of dealing with the named non-BM-sword issue.

@Tecton: Any explanation for exactly why engraving isn't allowed on artefacts? Is it a technical limitation involving how returning is coded or something like that?
    Looks like its just a blanket block on all resetting items (probably instituted because people engraved something stupid on a quest item or something in the distant past.)

No objections to changing it when time permits.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    and now we'll find quest jewellery with ascii art engraved on it everywhere!
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tahquil said:

Actually, that sounds like a very nifty idea. Considering that forged weapons are now standardized stat-wise, Aurora(or some other generous patron) can just grab a standard sword/hammer/BFG9000, customise it with nifty sparkly bits, and bequeath it as a symbol of office to a worthy person, without the accompanying '160% hax' stigma.

• edited June 2015
    Synbios said:
    Tahquil said:

Actually, that sounds like a very nifty idea. Considering that forged weapons are now standardized stat-wise, Aurora(or some other generous patron) can just grab a standard sword/hammer/BFG9000, customise it with nifty sparkly bits, and bequeath it as a symbol of office to a worthy person, without the accompanying '160% hax' stigma.

I feel like the big problem with this is that whether the weapon is useful depends on the office-holders class and office-holding doesn't depend on class.

I think maybe it would work better as being its own thing. Passing down Conquering Dawn not to the Minister of War or the order head, who might not be able to use it, but specifically to a chosen blademaster (who might hold a given position or might not).

It would be really neat to see each city have a champion blademaster for instance, and I think it would really push the idea of blademasters being competitive, elite duelists in a fun way. I want to see a big raid where Targossas and Mhaldor's champion blademasters realise that they're both involved and they feel like it's an important subgoal to fight one another.

And orgs and god could do whatever else they want too - maybe Sartan hands down the Shield of the Faith and Vastar the Galebow or something like that.

It would be especially neat if these were artefact weapons - sort of another way for a very small handful of players to more easily compete in combat and something for combatants who can't afford their own Thoth's Fang or whatever to have something to aspire to (it suddenly occurs to me that a lot of the level 3 artefacts already sound like weapons gods might pass down).