Ship Trade - Crates and Baskets

edited May 2015 in North of Thera
So I've been curious what people have been getting out of these and with what kind of frequency.

So far I've done one trade for a Crate and I got:
a pair of metal bitts

Will post the description and room line when I get home.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Haven't found anything special about the bitts yet.

a pair of iron bitts
    This contiguous piece of dark iron is designed to bolt securely to the deck of any vessel, to support the two posts that protrude from the hefty mounting. To better make fast mooring lines, hawsers, or cables, the bitts lean slightly away from each other and mushroom at the top, creating a cap that prevents any rope wound about the two from slipping off the top. Carefully crafted to ensure no chafing of line occurs, the smooth protuberances are lightly shaped to best accomodate a figure of eight wind between the pair.

Edit: Hrm, looking at this now, I feel like they misspelled accommodate there, will bug it when I log in again.

Also, my bitts is already covered in bird poop :( (Teehee)

An indignant squawk notifies you of the presence of a seagull landing on a pair of iron bitts; the perching bird leaves his signature behind before taking wing with another piercing cry.
  • Wtb cargo lantern. 

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited May 2015
    Will post my slop chest when I get home! 
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Good to get everything together so for relevance, a friend got this:

Short: a mahogany capstan
    Room: A large mahogany capstan is barred and awaits usage. 
    Desc: Designed to more easily winch heavy, laden line by a combination of man-power and 
    leverage, this drum-like capstan of dark wood bears eight bars equidistant about its 
    circumference. Wear shows on each spoke, the thick lengths of timber thinned slightly 
    where hands have grasped repeatedly over the years to raise sheets and coil a soddenly 
    cumbersome anchor line. Two hand-sized pegs, equally as worn as the pushing spars, 
    protrude from the top of this deck device, and hint at a secondary, more ominous 
    function.
    It has 96 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs about 980 pounds.

Havent figured out a way to do something with it yet though.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Rant: The kittens, if killed, do not return. I didn't kill one, I just asked the Garden. Sucks since the birds from the birdcage trades were resetting. A lot of work to get one of these kittens, and what if someone forceboards and decides they wanna be a jerk and kill it?
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Better pay for safe passage so pirates don't kill your kittens! Pirates love to kill kittens, they make great megaladon bait.
  • AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited May 2015
    Kayeil said:
    Rant: The kittens, if killed, do not return. I didn't kill one, I just asked the Garden. Sucks since the birds from the birdcage trades were resetting. A lot of work to get one of these kittens, and what if someone forceboards and decides they wanna be a jerk and kill it?
    Would a Collar of Lupus work on these to reset them to the ship (or inv so you can drop them on the ship again)? @Tecton @Sarapis They are too cute to die.

Edited: Well, too cute to die permanently.
    Aereidhna said:
    Kayeil said:
    Would a Collar of Lupus work on these to reset them to the ship (or inv so you can drop them on the ship again)? @Tecton @Sarapis They are too cute to die.

Edited: Well, too cute to die permanently.
    I issued to ask if there is a way to preserve them, no reply yet.

• They aren't loyal so you wouldn't be able to collar them.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    You pick up a broad and deep slop chest.

With an eye for function and weight distribution, you carefully set a broad and deep slop chest into place on deck.

Pitch sealed and fitted in bronze, a slop chest sits here.

Tarred oak planks and bronze fittings make up this sturdy coffer. The natural hue of the wood is long hidden behind layers of sealing pitch so ingrained as to be the material itself. A repeated stamp of a hippocampus features on the gleaming fixtures, the tarnished embellishment dark in juxtaposition to the polished metal's shine.
    It has 97 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs about 150 pounds.
    It bears the distinctive mark of Melodie.
    It is closed and you can not see inside of it.

You open a broad and deep slop chest.
    The sweet aromas of tobacco and musk waft from the depths of a slop chest as its heavy lid is opened.

You close a broad and deep slop chest.
    The lid of the chest slams shut with a satisfying 'thud', hiding the treasures safely within.

Holds a max of 120 items.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I got distracted last night and didn't manage to sail for anything. Maybe I'll do that later.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Would really like to be able to name the kitten though :(

• Skye said:
    Never! there is only one named ship kitten! His name is Catspian! HE IS YOUR NEW GOD!
  • @Kinilan Oi that one. You clearly are the right person to try and make a career of people paying to not deal with you.
  • Greys said:
    @Kinilan Oi that one. You clearly are the right person to try and make a career of people paying to not deal with you.
    It takes a special kind of skill to do what I do.

Taraus said:
    Kinilan said:
    Skye said:
    Never! there is only one named ship kitten! His name is Catspian! HE IS YOUR NEW GOD!
    Did he get demoted from Admeowral?

Recently promoted.
  • Why intentionally make the kittens unable to be loyal pets? I assume ship trades are meant to be desirable, and that would be highly desirable. I don't see the purpose behind that decision.

i'm a rebel

Kinilan said:
    Better pay for safe passage so pirates don't kill your kittens! Pirates love to kill kittens, they make great megaladon bait.
    I haven't sailed in forever because I don't want to risk the things I have on my ship, and nor do I want to have to keep paying some fee just to get somebody to leave me alone.

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited May 2015
    Melodie said:

You open a broad and deep slop chest.
    The sweet aromas of tobacco and musk waft from the depths of a slop chest as its heavy lid is opened.

Tobacco? what. 
    They mean tabac right? I thought tabac was to tobacco as kawhe is to coffee

ETA: Achaeans drink kawhe, which is what we know irl as coffee. "Kawhe" is a maori word for coffee.
    Achaeans smoke tabac, which is what we know irl as tobacco. "Tabac" is a french word for tobacco (or smoke shop).

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Tabac is a pre-existing word. It is what the french call tabacco
    Message #11         Sent by Lycon
          5/07/5:29 Greetings! In regard to your recent issue #72784: yes, the 
    kitten ages! No, they are not going to be made immortal, sorry!

• edited May 2015
    For about 60k gold in port and cargo fees? Thats pretty weak. Well guess its another thing like the hat that we can ignore when it comes up.
  • Kayeil said:
    The kitten ages? :O Does that mean it will grow up to be a ship cat?!
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Tibitha said:
    Kayeil said:
    it also means that eventually Catspain will die of old age, and Neraemrew will rise to take his place
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Tharvis said:
    Tibitha said:
    Kayeil said:
    it also means that eventually Catspain will die of old age, and Neraemrew will rise to take his place
    I figure it'll grow up to be an adult, then hit an elderly stage before it ends up dying of old age. At least, that's how the pet shop pets used to function before they stopped being sold.

• Tharvis said:
    Tibitha said:
    Kayeil said:
    Nooooo, they've tapped into my weakness for virtual pets. I.. suddenly need one.

Now I just need to figure out how to finance this endeavour. 
  • Tharvis said:
    Tibitha said:
    Kayeil said:
    Boy, I will cut you!
  • But Catspian will touch you.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Thick oak planks are nailed together to form this solid wooden crate, its seams carefully sealed
    with a coating of tar. The lid is the heaviest panel of all and fits snugly, each corner further
    secured with tacks hammered flat. A heavy application of pitch coats the sides, obscuring any
    identifying marks the container may have once borne.
    It has 30 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs about 150 pounds.
    An unmarked wooden crate is holding:
    "lantern364599"                         a ship's cargo lantern
    It contains a total of 1 items of a max of 1.

Hey @Kinilan, guess I got lucky.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"