Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

"Let me get out the abacus"

AalmAalm Posts: 206Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
edited February 2015 in The Golden Dais of Creation
I've always had trouble staying IC while saying "I am doing calculations" which involves a calculator. Complex math gets done in like 30 seconds. It doesn't feel IC and feels awkward.

So like 30 minutes ago, I thought -- "let me get the abacus." That sounds a bit less ridiculous.

So maybe make a cheap item for like 300 gold -- an abacus. Or maybe stick it in the artie shop for like 50 cr if 300 gold is too little. And have it do some of the functions of the calculator. Of course the counter-argument is that why pay gold or credits for something like that, but people use Skype to evade in-game channels, and that infuriates like half the game, so I thought this might be solving a similar issue.

If it already exists, please don't shoot me. I tried to ask around, the people that I talked to weren't aware of it.
NimTharvis

Comments

  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoPosts: 3,066Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nothing against the idea, though you can just emote an abacus and do the calculation with mudlet or whatever...

    And you won't understand the cause of your grief...


    ...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

    Kynaran
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect itPosts: 1,649Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I used it quite frequently when I remembered to! I actually prefer it to using a computer calculator for simple math because I don't have to switch windows, and it's a nice RP tool. One of my favourites.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

  • AalmAalm Posts: 206Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Lorielan said:
    There is a working abacus for sale in the games store in New Thera.
    Sorry, didn't know. X_x

    My apologies, everyone.
    NimAziik
  • NimNim Posts: 2,015Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Oh, wow. I should get one, so I can continue spiting claims that combat research can't be IC.

    Also glasses and a lab coat.

    Does Mhaldor have blood-stained labcoats by chance? :c
    Aalm
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, FloridaPosts: 4,883Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    We're running a design contest in the Crucible right now. You could always make one...

    ;)
    "You have had an extraordinary adventure, my dear. Extraordinary! One that few people could ever imagine. Treasure it. Keep it safe and secure, tucked away in some special place in your heart. 

    But... don't spend the rest of your days chasing a ghost."
  • AmarillysAmarillys Posts: 797Member @ - Epic Achaean
    I... I must have an abacus now...



    Nim
  • NimNim Posts: 2,015Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited February 2015
    as an aside, I'd always assumed Nim just does her math on paper in a journal. it's all there in her backstory journal that I think all of three players and at least one admin saw. @Kaden can confirm, possibly, assuming the knight story hasn't outshined the rest of the journal. >_>
  • KadenKaden Posts: 436Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Nim said:
    as an aside, I'd always assumed Nim just does her math on paper in a journal. it's all there in her backstory journal that I think all of three players and at least one admin saw. @Kaden can confirm, possibly, assuming the knight story hasn't outshined the rest of the journal. >_>
    Sarapin 3rd, 586 AF:

    papa is teaching me math :(                    <---Confirmation!
    Nim
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesPosts: 5,873Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nim said:
    Oh, wow. I should get one, so I can continue spiting claims that combat research can't be IC.

    Also glasses and a lab coat.

    Does Mhaldor have blood-stained labcoats by chance? :c
    Stop by sometime and I'm sure it could...be arranged.




  • AalmAalm Posts: 206Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Kresslack said:
    Nim said:
    Oh, wow. I should get one, so I can continue spiting claims that combat research can't be IC.

    Also glasses and a lab coat.

    Does Mhaldor have blood-stained labcoats by chance? :c
    Stop by sometime and I'm sure it could...be arranged.


    @Kresslack : Elrond is unusually well dressed this morning. But, why is Elrond making the Gollum face? Is he reading from the wrong script, or did he steal the One Ring and is being hopelessly corrupted by it?

    Only Kresslack knows. Only he was there, the thousands of years ago when the strength of mortal men failed.
    NakariTeghaine
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesPosts: 5,873Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited February 2015
    Aalm said:
    Kresslack said:
    Nim said:
    Oh, wow. I should get one, so I can continue spiting claims that combat research can't be IC.

    Also glasses and a lab coat.

    Does Mhaldor have blood-stained labcoats by chance? :c
    Stop by sometime and I'm sure it could...be arranged.


    @Kresslack : Elrond is unusually well dressed this morning. But, why is Elrond making the Gollum face? Is he reading from the wrong script, or did he steal the One Ring and is being hopelessly corrupted by it?

    Only Kresslack knows. Only he was there, the thousands of years ago when the strength of mortal men failed.
    I don't even remember posting this. O.o

    But yes, I was there, in the helicopter, right next to Brian Williams.

    Edit: Also, I need to go pick up a counting thingymabobber so I act like I know how to do maths (when I'm really just using the calculator on the computer for simple stuff).


    Aalm
  • LideronLideron Posts: 27Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited February 2015
    Lorielan said:
    There is a working abacus for sale in the games store in New Thera.

    It still seemed a touch odd though to be able to do complex calculations so quickly on an abacus, so I paid to get mine customized into a TI-81, and now all my RP problems are solved.

    AalmKresslackRazzlo
  • KafzielKafziel Posts: 658Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    There are plenty more unbelievable things in Achaea than someone adding up the cost of 37 of each herb and refill in their head
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy WindPosts: 889Member, Seafaring Liason @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Lideron said:
    Lorielan said:
    There is a working abacus for sale in the games store in New Thera.

    It still seemed a touch odd though to be able to do complex calculations so quickly on an abacus, so I paid to get mine customized into a TI-81, and now all my RP problems are solved.

    that was bad and you should feel bad

  • JukilianJukilian Posts: 1,579Member @ - Epic Achaean
    Yeah, throw that junk out and get a Casio.
Sign In to Comment.