Emerald City Comicon

JeslynJeslyn United States
edited February 2015 in The Wander Inn
My sister will be living in Seattle for six months and got me tickets to this event in March! Anyone else thinking about going? I've only been to the one in San Diego and in Phoenix. How does this one compare?

Comments

• Gonna be there. Way smaller than SDCC due to the size of the convention hall, but still fun and doesn't sell out in 2 hours. Never went to the one in Phoenix so can't really say, but probably comparable.
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    edited February 2015
    The SanDiego Comicon was fun but I paid $300 for my ticket off of some guy from craigslist. I didn't really get to see a lot of celebrity panels either because I literally sat in lines for four to six hours. One line required us to to stay outside overnight in 50 degree weather while it was slightly raining. At least they had tents. The cosplay there was amazing! I would say that is the best reason to go to SDCC. 
    My tickets themselves are for Sunday, seeing as the Saturday tickets sold out awhile ago (Even though I am tempted to upgrade mine for $200). So I'll have all Saturday to spend in Seattle. What do you all recommend for a first time Seattle visitor to do out there? 
  • What are your interests/budget like? I tend to foodie when I'm there. 
    edited February 2015
    My budget is pretty flexible, and I'm a big wine and food type of person. I also enjoy museums and architecture (having been a design major), but there is no way in hell I'll be able to see all of them in a day. Overall, trying to see what the ideal day trip is like in Seattle for a foodie/art lover.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    OH MAN YOU GUYS COMING UP TO THE HOOD?!
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Pike's place/downtown. U-district. International district. Dahlia bakery. Mee sum bao. Piroshki, Piroshki. Dim sum. ...god now I'm hungry.
  • VocVoc
    edited February 2015
    I really enjoy the Chihuly Garden and Glass in Seattle Center, right next to the Space Needle (though I'd skip going up the needle, it isn't really worth the line/cost for the elevator ride) I also second Piroshki, Piroshki, down in Pike's Place.  Right next to the first Starbuck's if that's your thing, and the Seattle Art Museum is a short walk away.  If you want to get out of downtown, Discovery Park and Golden Gardens Park can be nice, though GG is a beach and might be a bit cold in March, still some good mountain views on a clear day.  If you like seafood, grab salmon for dinner.  Also some divey but fun bars in Belltown around 2nd and Bell St. which is right next to Local 360 which usually has some pretty good food too.  Lots of people like to go up to Capitol Hill for their drinking which is a short bus ride away, but I don't know too much in that area.
  • Also, don't let the silly people here convince you that there are any possessives or contractions in Pike Place.
  • Eld said:
    Also, don't let the silly people here convince you that there are any possessives or contractions in Pike Place.
    Oh ya, my bad.  Definitely Pike Place.

Also if you do go to Seattle Center, you can check out the Experience Music Project Museum right next to the other stuff.  I've heard mixed reviews, I think it depends on what they're featuring and if you like pop culture/music stuff.  Never been, personally.
    Damn, now I'm getting excited. I can't wait to go! :smiley: 
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    If you want some insanely awesome stuff, you need to go to Dicks, to Ezell's, definitely Piroshki Piroshki, anywhere at the Market... so much tasty food in this city.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Serious pies
  • EldEld
    edited February 2015
    Erhon said:
    Serious pies
    I haven't actually been to Serious Pie (which I'm sure makes me a terrible person), but can attest that there is also excellent pizza to be had at Via Tribunali and Tutta Bella (I was going to add Piecora's, but I've only just learned, apparently almost a year late, that they're gone, alas). Or, if you find yourself in need of greasy diner food late at night (or early in the morning, or whenever), Beth's Cafe and the Five Point Cafe are excellent examples of the genre (though I suppose the former ought to come with the warning that their six-egg omelette is the small size).
  • Oh!  Biscuit Bitch, also fantastic weekend late night drunk food.  Or really just any time you want delicious biscuits/gravy/grits/eggs/sausage/variety of things.
    Just bought my plane tickets! I'm so excited to go to Seattle <3
    Anyone have ideas of good places to stay in Seattle? My Airbnb cancelled on me. Any non-seedy hotels recommendations would be awesome. I'm coming to Seattle with my sister.
  • What days and how close do you want to be to downtown? 
  • I'd suggest looking in Bellevue if you need a spot, the hotels are cheaper than smack dab in the middle of Seattle and it's right on I-90 so it's easy to get to. Typically Hotwire has some great deals but since it's a convention weekend it'll be up in the air as to what's available.
    I'm staying with my boyfriend's relative out there! She is only 10 minutes away from the convention center. Only two weeks away, I hope to see you all there! :)
  • I'll be in on weds leaving on sun. Message me if you wanna do something. 
    Getting on my flight now! Let's all meet up tomorrow!
    Came from 90 degree weather to cold and rainy. :(
  • Jeslyn said:
    Came from 90 degree weather to cold and rainy. :(
    @Jeslyn : Talk about chillin' like a villain!