Now that forged weapons and armour have unique descriptors, could we get artefact bands similar to blademaster bands for forged weapons (and armour)?
These would cost the same as normal artefact weapons (similar to blademaster bands)/armour (whatever that ends up being), but would let you turn a forged weapon into an artefact and could be attached/detached like a blademaster band.
A few pros:
- People with artefacts can take advantage of the new forging system to get neat weapons/armour.
- Artefact weapons don't end up with such homogeneous appearance (this was fine when all rapiers otherwise looked the same, but seems disappointing now).
- We reduce the degree to which there are a hundred people all running around with the same "legendary" weapons (exactly how many fangs does Thoth have?).
- It creates a larger market for the very expensive descriptors. Right now, not many people are going to buy skull-festooned armour, and it's probably going to be even fewer once artefact armour comes out since the same people who can afford to buy and replace expensive forged goods are more likely to want and be able to buy artefact armour. If you could "band" skull-festooned armour, that creates some demand for the really expensive stuff, even if people only have to replace it when they feel like changing out the descriptors on their "banded" armour. So people with artefacts still participate in the forging economy.
- It would lead to decreased demand for replacements for expensive weapon/armour descriptors. But the sense I get is that not many people are shelling out for the gold for these as is - and once people can buy artefact armour, I imagine demand is going to go even lower for the above-described reason. On the whole, I would be surprised if such "bands" didn't lead to a larger gold sink than current artefact weapons do (and artefact armour presumably will).
- It would make it harder to see if someone is wielding an artefact versus a regular weapon. This one doesn't seem too bad since blademaster bands are already not visible anyway, but if it is a problem, the "band" could add a descriptor to whatever it's attached to indicating that it's an artefact (the descriptor could even indicate what level of artefact, could vary by weapon type, or even allow the person to choose from one of a few different descriptors).