What do you think of Advancement Ceremonies for organizations?

AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
edited January 2015 in North of Thera
I'm excluding Orders from this poll. I'm curious as to what most people think of them, though. From novicehood in a House to full member, city advancement ceremonies, things of that nature. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind your choices, if I could.

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I like them. I think they can make things memorable and interesting, specially for novices. So long as they are done right and leave some wiggle room instead of being scripted to the dot over the i.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Personally I'm all for them. Not only for the role play factor but also the feeling you get when your surrounded by your peers who all acknowledge your advancement with said organization. It Helps Boost Confidence.
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    I've been through many types of these ceremonies, and it seems to be split right down the middle.  A lot of times, people freeze up because they're the center of attention and are so nervous about either making a mistake or messing up the ceremony.  I'm impartial either way, I suppose.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I've always liked advancement ceremonies, for the communal sense of achievement and acknowledgement. Ceremonies and celebrations are just plain awesome, but I think they also encourage some people to want to be more involved, and to have something to aspire to.

I went impartial either way because I don't think they're absolutely necessary in the grand scheme of things, but they are still awesome.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    @Ruth there's other ways to gain recognition in an organization other than advancement ceremonies.  Honestly, I'm fine with just a quick message offering congratulations over the Org chat and abusing my newfound powers.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Like all things, they can be well done or they can suck. Most of the ones I have ever seen were really well-done. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Shirszae said:
    I like them. I think they can make things memorable and interesting, specially for novices. So long as they are done right and leave some wiggle room instead of being scripted to the dot over the i.
    I would like to hear some thoughts on how best to achieve this. 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    The thing about writer's block is unfortunate, though I suppose true as well. And it is why I am so reticent to interact with most people. I take a long time to type, and knowing people are tapping their shoes on the other end really kills it for me, even if they have every right to be impatient.

I think awardees, specially newbie ones, deserve at least some extra-patience in this regard. Because unless they are one of the rarer super-extroverted ones, they are definitely going to be nervous, and either take a long time to write, or write quickly and badly.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Herenicus said:
    Some thoughts on designing public ceremonies
    1. Time is of the essence; I try to keep these to five or ten minutes;
    2. No one wants to wait for your surprised/nervous awardee to overcome writer's block;
    3. Briefing the awardee on the ceremony beforehand kills some of the magic, but I believe (begrudgingly) that it is usually the best way to allow for dynamic participation; 
    4. Give the people what they want: clean writing and razzle-dazzle;
    5. Don't give the people what they don't want: multiple trips to the dictionary and ho-fucking-hum.
    I think my second knighting was a good example. I had no idea what to expect, but it was pretty easy to roll with.

Do you have the log? What separates a good knighting ceremony from a bad one? 
  • On mobile right now. Click on my profile and look at discussions, i think i have like five, should be easy to find.

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    I think it's appropriate to keep the core of a ceremony the same, and repeatable. It's smart to act off of the template for low-level graduations.

For more advanced ceremonies though, hopefully the person has been around long enough for you to know something about them. By then you can add that customized touch-whether it's a few special words or a small variation which only they would understand. If you can make it special for every person who passes through the ceremony I think you can create something enjoyable and well-memorable for all parties involved.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • edited January 2015
    There's a built in tendency for them to get out of hand, unfortunately (just like real life ceremonies)!  In theory, I don't hate them.  I just feel like Jim and Dwight... I mean, couldn't we just have one Birthday celebration for everyone once a month (no, the answer is no :(  )?  
    Jules said:
    There's a built in tendency for them to get out of hand, unfortunately (just like real life ceremonies)!  In theory, I don't hate them.  I just feel like Jim and Dwight... I mean, couldn't we just have one Birthday celebration for everyone once a month (no, the answer is no :(  )?  
    When the speaker hits five minutes, nudge the giant shepherd's crook. When they exceed ten, use it. Respectfully.
  • Too many ceremonies makes the concept of a ceremony far less significant.
    Common ceremonies should be kept private, to keep them fresh for the individuals being recognized. That's how the Apostate Guild/Congregation novice ceremony runs. This is the opposite of Rathos Aristata's mechanical "dire threat" recognition ceremony over our sacred city channel, which should go.
  • I know when I was a secretary in the Occultists, I tried to do something special for people when they got off probation(cause really that was a AFDSAAFS back then). I think I scared a couple of them senseless because I made it sound like they were in trouble to start with, I think Xtassy said she almost started crying, so I felt a little bad about it.
  • I like them and will generally drop whatever I'm doing to go to one unless I'm on Meropis or something like that. That said, I personally don't need a big flashy ceremony to feel like I've accomplished something. Though, again, I still like attending them for others.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited January 2015
    Ceremonies can be good or bad... or neither and just sort of constricting. It largely depends on the ritual.

Back in yon day, the Church had this public sort of ritual you had to go in order to be considered for higher Church office. It was, most of the time, a pretty big honor, and I think usually you had to be CHR7 or something to be considered. By the end, though, it just ended up being this meaningless formality that usually happened if you got elected to House/Church leadership.

The Anointed, on the other hand, had a pretty awesome induction ritual, probably in part because it was something that wasn't done very often. City and House graduation would presumably be much more frequent than being teleported to some long-forgotten desert to #fightthepower.

ETA: also the minute it becomes required, it feels suspiciously like paperwork for a lot of people, and it takes a lot of the fun out of it.
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Ashuran Sempai ceremony. Nuff said.
  • Daslin said:
    Ashuran Sempai ceremony. Nuff said.
    Is that a whole ceremony for when sempai notices you?

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    It's when you ascend to sempai and stop noticing others. BACK TO GREASY HANDS.... AWAYYY!!!!