Ship Captains working as PERMS

Currently, boarding and crew permissions on ships work like perms, ie you can assign cityranks, clan positions, etcetera who has them.  However, ship captains can only be investable on a person by person basis. I know plenty of people who want to open up a ship to family clans and it certainly would be handy for me managing Targossas's ships rather than having to constantly add and remove people as they gain permission.

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I have mixed feelings about this. Would it be easier to blanket add/remove captains in regards to factions/groups? Yes. However, I think the Captain list is intentionally separated and requires individual adding by the ship owner or someone with fleetcommand due to the level of responsibility associated with captaining a ship.

This is made somewhat moot considering that someone with crew perms can take crew chief and effectively move a ship out of harbour (I still think this is a bug and needs to be corrected because it creates undue liability), but cannot effectively sail or move the ship after.

Either way, I'm perfectly fine with the current process for handling captains, because captains also get the ability to add boarding/crew perms in such a manner as described (iirc), but can't add/remove other captains. You want to be careful who has access and the ability to take control of your ship, if you care about it, that is.

• SHIP SET DEMOCRATIC ON
    CONTEST KRESSLACK AS HEAD OF SHIP SCURVEYTESTICLES
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    It wouldn't be such a bad idea for org owned ships. Like if a ship belonged to a city or order, you could set the perms as a group.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Kyrra said:
    It wouldn't be such a bad idea for org owned ships. Like if a ship belonged to a city or order, you could set the perms as a group.
    I believe you can already do this by assigning FLEETCOMMAND perm to the desired rank.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Kresslack said:
    Kyrra said:
    I believe you can already do this by assigning FLEETCOMMAND perm to the desired rank.
    Confirmed.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Unfortunately within Targossas, its based on clan positions (captains in the Navy) not city rank but that is a potentially interesting workaround.
    @Kresslack I had been trying to work out what commands the crew chief and helmsman can and cannot each do compared to a crew member.
  • Also, PERMS still work for individuals so going to a perm system would not prevent you from still handling it on an individual basis if you feel that is the best route.
    edited December 2014
    Greys said:
    Unfortunately within Targossas, its based on clan positions (captains in the Navy) not city rank but that is a potentially interesting workaround.
    @Kresslack I had been trying to work out what commands the crew chief and helmsman can and cannot each do compared to a crew member.
    This is how it works in every city (at least every city I've been in). Also, you can add Boarding and Crew perms to blanket allow ranks of an organization, from clans and so on. I maintain that this would not be a useful thing to allow for the Captain permissions, because it allows for a great deal more liability in regards to the ship.

If you say, for instance, anyone CR4+ can take command of the ship, that puts it at the disposal of a good number of people who might very well have no idea what they're doing and might get a wild hair to take the ship out to play around/experiment with on their own.

As I recall, anyone with crew perms can repair, raise anchor, raise plank, unmoor the ship, but I do not believe they can turn it, nor order it to move. I'm not certain if that has been fixed or not, but if not then it's likely a bug because giving the order to Cast Off should be Captain rank only IMO.

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    Agreed on castoff being captain only, and by preference CURRENT captain only.
  • @Kresslack , the idea is to allow those of the Captain rank in Targossas's Navy having the captain perms not linking it to a city rank.  There isn't that much of a changeover that its a huge deal but just would make my life easier.  And again, having Captain as perms doesn't force you permit groups of people; You can still do it on a case by case basis just like there is now.