Poisoning Food/Drinks

Being a Serpent, I occasionally find myself pondering venoms and wondering to myself, "How can I use this power for malign purpose?" During one such moment of random reflection, I got sidetracked and started thinking about food (not surprising). This, oddly enough, got me back on track and inspired the following:

Allow drinks and food to be Poisoned with the use of venoms, whether via secretion* or milked venoms. The only way to find out if something is poisoned is to try it! "Why is @Herose grinning evilly why offering me this muffi--ACK, VOYRIA!"

Comments

• This makes me think that it might either be cool or really dumb to have trade skill synergy, once trade skills are separated and have a system of their own.

Like, cooking + venoms = poisoned food.

Tailoring + jewelry = gemstones in clothes and other such things.

Forging + tailoring/jewelry = fancy armor.

Forging + venoms might let you make pre-venomed blades that just always apply a certain venom or something without needing to buy it, I dunno, that sounds weird and probably not useful, but maybe it'd be cool.

Let's not get into cooking + tailoring. >_>
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited November 2014
    I feel the tailoring thing would just result in a bunch 'bedazzled' people running around. Being able to take any food or drink item and just slip some venom into it just seemed like an interesting option.

Edit: Forgot to add explanation for the * next to secretion: Only venoms which can be applied to weapons would be able to be used (or only Loki could be used, either or).

• Nim said:
    This makes me think that it might either be cool or really dumb to have trade skill synergy, once trade skills are separated and have a system of their own.

Like, cooking + venoms = poisoned food.

Tailoring + jewelry = gemstones in clothes and other such things.

Forging + tailoring/jewelry = fancy armor.

Forging + venoms might let you make pre-venomed blades that just always apply a certain venom or something without needing to buy it, I dunno, that sounds weird and probably not useful, but maybe it'd be cool.

Let's not get into cooking + tailoring. >_>

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I really like this idea. It would be quite fun, and would be a large seller in general, and encourage more cooking (which of the three crafts is probably used the least).

Also this means @Ruth might actually succeed in poisoning me one day, gotta give her that chance.  :D
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Tailoring plus jewellery already exists. Haven't you been to Maefeng's shop? Everything is sparkly!
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• The premise has always been cool but with systems and server curing the effect is somewhat Meh. 

Unless you could make it an instant lock and not forceable. So the person would have to eat it themselves and run to get healing. 

• Sena said:
    Arador said:
    The premise has always been cool but with systems and server curing the effect is somewhat Meh. 

Unless you could make it an instant lock and not forceable. So the person would have to eat it themselves and run to get healing. 
    Poisoned food doesn't have to give ordinary, instantly-curable afflictions. It could give incurable (or just harder to cure) effects, like weed/gleam/alcohol for example.
    Or snowblossom.

• I think it would be really neat to be able to add these things to food for a variety of results:
    • snowblossom oil
    • cactus weed
    • unformed things of chaos (hey, they're a special kind of meat!)
    • various flower parts (yielding different results)
    • poison ivy (found on Mhaldor's isle)
    • poisonous frogs (again, meat!)
    Bluef has cactus weed brownies that offer a decidedly euphoric experience, but it would be amazing to be able to mix in a batch of the 'poisoned' type with them for different/hilarious results.
  • @Bluef beat me to the punch. I'll be for this if we can actually have weed and booze laced foods
    meh

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Bluef said:
    I think it would be really neat to be able to add these things to food for a variety of results:
    • snowblossom oil
    • cactus weed
    • unformed things of chaos (hey, they're a special kind of meat!)
    • various flower parts (yielding different results)
    • poison ivy (found on Mhaldor's isle)
    • poisonous frogs (again, meat!)
    Bluef has cactus weed brownies that offer a decidedly euphoric experience, but it would be amazing to be able to mix in a batch of the 'poisoned' type with them for different/hilarious results.
    I think this would be a good idea for cooking and culinary in general. I guess I'm trying to figure out if being able to actually poison food and drink with venoms would be something that could be used for actual RP purposes compared to just being used as another cheap combat mechanic, because that's not my intention. If you want to afflict someone, afflict them how you normally would.

Maybe if this were a Serpent skill and only Loki (and potentially Voyria) could be used, I think that would be a working solution. Loki gives a random effect, and Voyria is pretty easily cured, but still lets you know someone obviously wants you dead. Imagine if you were mailed a bottle of bourbon that says 'Best wishes' or some such generic greeting or congratulatory statement, but didn't have a signature. You drink it, get afflicted with voyria, now have to wonder if someone just tried to assassinate you. (Plus...I really like the idea of messing with people, right @Amarillys?)

• I think to help keep it from combat, give it a delay. Something like 5 - 10 minutes. Maybe longer since I know combat can last a while. That'd make it better since you wouldn't be entirely sure -what- just made you sick.