It's been a few months now with the new city destruction system, and I think for the most part, it's pretty awesome. However, I've noticed a lot of people commenting on certain aspects of it being a little... off, so I thought I'd open up a discussion on some things we might change, either with mechanical requirements or (god forbid) some in-game attitude shifts. 1 Tank placement
. It seems entirely too easy to place tanks on/near guards. If nothing else, I would submit that placing tanks should be a 3-4 second channel, or at the very least
incur a 4-5 second balance loss*. This would make the somewhat silly and probably unintended phase/throw eye/place tank/duanathar
method more difficult/impossible, or would at least make it cost a death to perform.
* I firmly believe the balance loss option is a bad choice, because it allows for very easy place/summon (empress, deliver, etc), particularly since mushroom sigils don't require balance (for some reason). 2 Tank range of effect
. A lot of people, myself included, find it somewhat irrational and annoying that a tank can be place anywhere
in a city, and charged by deaths anywhere else. This "feature" causes several problems.
- Firstly, it makes determining if tanks have been placed incredibly difficult, and generally results in half a dozen people running around like headless chickens trying to find bombs in every remote corner of the city, over and over, for hours.
- Secondly, combined with the Tank placement design, this allows for placing tanks on locations that raiders would otherwise have absolutely no chance of successfully destroying. (example: placing tanks at rally point/gates/etc)
I suggest that tanks have a 5-10 room area of effect, such that their growth in any way (presence of raiders, kills, etc) only occurs if the raiders/defenders are near the area itself. Not only would this mean that raiders would actually have to raid near
the area they're actually trying to destroy, but it would also make locating potential bombs much more sensible, since tanks would generally only be located within 5-10 rooms of the raid group itself. 3 More dismantlers
. Over and over again, I've seen raiders (you know who you are) place tanks in utterly undefendable positions, simply because they knew that nobody in the defending city has the ability to dismantle it. I've frequently seen a CWHO of 15-20, sometimes even close to 30, where nobody can dismantle tanks. Thus, if someone drops a tank on us right at rally point... even if they have absolutely no chance of defending the location, we are totally incapable of dismantling it, and very well might lose the room if citizens 20 rooms away end up dying to raiders.
Solution(s): There are several ways this could be addressed.
- Firstly, army experience is, in my personal opinion, insanely slow. I play a lot and defend/participate in every raid I can possibly get involved in, and I've never made army rank 2. In fact, almost everyone capable of doing anything involving army ranks (dismantling, etc) was appointed the position when the city destruction system was formed. Many of these people are no longer active. Increase the experience generation rate, and/or create more ways to earn army experience (killing soldiers outside of raids, perhaps?)
- Allow direct promotions by more city leaders (HELP ARMY states that MoW can promote, but are there limitations on this, and if so, this issue can be a player-solved issue by simply promoting more people, particularly people who play during off-peak hours)
4 Experience loss
. Why do marks lose experience during sanctioned raids, when nobody else does? Is there a reason for this, and if so, I'd sincerely like to know what it is. 5 Gate raids
. This is more of an idea than an issue, but it seems like a good place to bring it up! I don't think it'd be a good idea to count kills in/near defendable towards sanctioning, but it would be logical to count the immediate area surrounding defendable territory for building tank/bomb levels. Perhaps rooms within 5 steps from city property could count towards tanks?