Interesting Study

edited September 2014 in The Universal Membrane
Prince/Northwestern study researched 1,779 policy issues.  They compared average citizen preference, top 10% wealth preference, and top 2% wealth preference to results (pass or failed to pass).

Take a guess at which group was virtually ignored.

Link to the Study

Some key excerpts:

Percentage of issues that resulted in the preference of the:
Economic Elite (top 2%):  78%
Business Interest Groups 43%
Average Citizen's preference:  5%

Abstract
Each of four theoretical traditions in the study of American politics – which can be characterized as theories of Majoritarian Electoral Democracy, Economic Elite Domination, and two types of interest group pluralism, Majoritarian Pluralism and Biased Pluralism – offers different predictions about which sets of actors have how much influence over public policy: average citizens; economic elites; and organized interest groups, mass-based or business-oriented. 

A great deal of empirical research speaks to the policy influence of one or another set of actors, but until recently it has not been possible to test these contrasting theoretical predictions against each other within a single statistical model. This paper reports on an effort to do so, using a unique data set that includes measures of the key variables for 1,779 policy issues. 

Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S. government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence. The results provide substantial support for theories of Economic Elite Domination and for theories of Biased Pluralism, but not for theories of Majoritarian Electoral Democracy or Majoritarian Pluralism. 

Some food for thought as we head into election season.  Personally, I'm going to try to fire some Congressman.

Comments

• So uh how does this actually pertain to Achaea
  • edited September 2014
    Bukariin said:
    So uh how does this actually pertain to Achaea
    Um, it doesn't (which is why it's in Membrane).

The Universal Membrane

Anything not related to Achaea.
  • 3. Post in the correct forum.

Achaea's forums are provided mainly for the purpose of Achaea-related discussion. We do have an OOC section (the Universal Membrane) for discussing other topics interest to our community as a whole. Note: due to the often divisive, inflammatory nature of discussions on the internet in regards to OOC politics and religion, these two topics are not welcome. Mature, thoughtful discussions on politics and religion can be one of the great joys of life, and while we encourage you to pursue such, please do so elsewhere.

• Well, it was my judgement that the nature of the study (as well of my post) was benign enough not to hurt anyone's feelings, nor is this a call for discussion or debate.  Just a great study that we were discussing, that I figured I would share with others.
  • It explicitly states "No politics" in the rules. It's probably one of the best rules this forum has. 

• edited September 2014

*shrug* fair enough.  I thought people would enjoy the read - but apparently it's more fun to cast anything with the word "government" in it off limits.

Not even going to post in this thread (unless someone actually wants to discuss the subject matter).  Just sharing a good article.
  • That's kind of more what I meant than "you put it in the wrong section."  I was expecting you were trying to segue this into a commentary on who has power over game direction in Achaea (credit buyers vs. free players) but you weren't which pretty much lands it square in the middle of politics.
  • I don't see it as necessarily political.  And it's an interesting study, certainly. 

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Woe is me. I have the false belief that everyone is out to get me in Achaea - so I'm going to post political bullshit from crybabies in the lower class about how the richest get what they want and the my cries go unheard.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Death to the Gamer: Tainted by misogyny and embrace of consumption as a way of life, gamer culture isn't worth saving.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/09/death-to-the-gamer/
  • UlrikeUlrike Maryland
    edited September 2014
    Herenicus said:
    Death to the Gamer: Tainted by misogyny and embrace of consumption as a way of life, gamer culture isn't worth saving.

FTA: "But to define oneself by media consumption is not just unhealthy, it’s vacuous."

The author keeps returning to the idea that media as a component of one's identity is tidily, risibly reducible to the purchase of consumer goods. Yes, fine, consumerism is insidious, etc. etc., standard leftist disclaimers go here.
    But I would argue that the narratives that resonate with us and the forms in which we prefer to enjoy/engage with them are a little more than buying and selling. I doubt this author would say the same dismissive things about readers or appreciators of the visual arts, even though corporate forces, brainless mass-appeal techniques, and odious cliques of fans are involved in those also. Interactive games are a younger art form with a narrower, less diverse body of creators and high-profile critics than other, more venerable formats. But they aren't illegitimate.

The present state of the Gamer Community (tm) is a hot-button issue lately, and I share the opinion of many that video games and those who appreciate, create, and market them are not immune to criticism -- including criticism of the subtler messages they send. I just don't think coming at it from a supercilious "look at these bourgeois sorts with their media (read: video games) that's all just products" perspective is very useful or fair.

Edit: A better critique from that angle, in a broader sense, is linked within the article you posted.

• Herenicus said:

So to check - did I just read someones bitter post about being fired form their job in the gaming industry trying to gain momentum under the guise of anti-consumerism?