I am very excited by this new addition, especially because housing is something I have a significant interest in at the moment. Major kudos to the admin for adding this, you've made my day and my head is filled with all sorts of ideas. Housing has such great potential for roleplay and I'm really excited to see it being given some love. I hope the trend continues!
I know you said to IDEA it if we wanted to suggest any changes, but I was thinking that perhaps a thread would be useful too so you don't get a hundred of the same ideas - and perhaps some can be weeded out by the playerbase too.
So! In terms of the denizens offered, (please correct me if I'm wrong here) beyond the base name of the denizens, there actually isn't much separating them in terms of functionality, it's down to you to assign the 'correct' reactions, so to speak. I'd really love to see some reactions that are tied to that particular denizen type - for instance, (I don't know if this is possible at all) perhaps you could have the chef create a customisable selection of food, a bartender to do drinks, or if this isn't possible maybe you could just be able to 'stock' them with food and drink you make yourself and have them give them to people when they do a particular reaction. If they run out of 'stock', then the reaction wouldn't fire. So these reactions would be unique to those job types.
Some suggestions of mine:
- Give the option for maids/butlers/servants/cleaners to pick up anything off the ground that isn't immovable or flamed. Might be annoying, might not, just depends how you want to use it.
- This is somewhat of a pipe dream, but allow servants to interact with certain housing improvements - primarily thinking of the fireplace. Perhaps you could have a reaction to have the butler light the fireplace if you give him wood?
- Allow the creation of items, or failing that, allow the option to 'stock' denizens with items to give. So you could stock maids with towels, chefs with food and so on.
- I IDEA'd a suggestion for a guard option. Perhaps these guards could open doors if you gave the correct password or phrase, assuming you were on a particular approved list (like boarding perms for ships)?
- Allow servants to replace sigils. It's something that people have wanted for a while and I think would be quite happy to pay for, to be honest.
Suggested new denizen types:
- Musician/musicians (courtesy of @Xer)
, guard, stablehand, gardener, bartender, librarian.
I'm sure I'll think of more ideas later, but that's what I have.
- I'm wondering how much freedom we'll have with these customisations. I mean, assuming we don't have to have the base name in the short/in-room desc, I can completely envision people customising a 'servant' to be a 'brown-haired dog' or something.
- Will these be available on ships?
- Is there a limit to how many servants you can have?
- The news post mentioned the possibility of denizens assisting with rituals. What I'd like to know is whether denizens would be allowed to have sequential timed reactions, so for instance if I had like...a servant in my demonic chamber of summoning or whatever, and I said:
"Begin the ritual."
Would it be possible for the servant to do:
A black-robed servant bows and hurries over to the altar, picking up a silver bowl and returning to your side. Drawing a knife from his robes, he slits his wrist over the bowl, filling it with blood.
Looking pale, a black-robed servant sets the bowl down on the floor in front of you and takes a piece of chalk from the satchel at his side, quickly sketching a pentagram around the bowl.
As the pentagram begins to glow red, a black-robed servant bows his head, clasps his fingers together and begins a low, incomprehensible chant.
Etc etc. Is that (1) possible, and (2) would it be one reaction or multiple? How would it be set up?
I can't think of any more right now, but everyone's welcome to add stuff!