Burning Man

The last few years I've asked if any Achaeans are going to be at Black Rock City. Asking again this year!

Meeting a fellow Achaean on the playa is one of my bucket list items, so if you're going to be at Burning Man this year let me know!

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited August 2014
    I want to talk Lachlan into going! Not this year though because I was laid off.

eta: I would relay her exact comments, but if she wants to, she can do it. :P
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Don't think I'll make it this year, either - but the thought of getting artsy in the desert sounds inspiring. Maybe next year, @Jonathin?
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree

Depends om when it is but if I can, I just might.

• AmanuAmanu Forge Tree

@Sarapis what date are you planning on? 

• I'll be there this year from either Monday evening the 25th (August) or Tuesday morning the 26th, and will be leaving sometime around early evening on Sunday the 31st. Generally go out for 8 days, but the trip is going to be a bit shorter this year, alas. 

The Man burns in 23 days!

• Can't go this year because of work, will be there next year though, and have been many times before. Wish I had seen this the other years!

• I have seen your Facebook photos over the past few years and have been immensely jealous.

Not gonna lie: Mostly I'd want to go to take pictures with you so I could go "I SAW SARAPIS AT BURNING MAN. I'M NOT DEAD."

But seriously. The hubs and I would need to get prepped for it. We'd love to go if we could! Have fun.

• AmanuAmanu Forge Tree

I wish I could go but the medical bills from my wreck are still needing to be paid so hopefully next year if I remember it.

• Leave yourself at least a couple months to prepare if you've never been before! It's not like going to a music festival. You need to be prepared to survive, including bringing your own water, etc.

Here are a few BM videos, because with my departure only a little over a week away, I'm watching them constantly (a not-uncommon phenomenon among Burners, many of whom spend 51 weeks a year waiting for their week at BM):

Set to Ellie Goulding's "Beyond the Fire" which sounds as if it was written specifically for Burning Man (though I don't think it was):

• A video of different BM participants reciting Dr. Suess's final poem: Oh, the Places You'll Go. This went super viral after the 2011 Burn. 

• And finally a video of Robot Heart, whose dawn sets out in deep playa (ie the largely empty desert) from their art car with a massive sound system are legendary. Video is cool, though gives the impression that everybody at BM is fashionable and hot, which isn't true (though man, there is a lot of eye candy, both clothed and naked, out there).

• HaldonHaldon I forgot...

Aww man, I just got back from a couple months of travelling around the Winnemucca area checking out all the old mines, wagon train camp sites and surviving alone in the desert. I wish I had stayed a while longer.

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.