Seafaring Trades Changes?

2»

Comments

• Pretty emphatically "yes, it's okay" from several folks in Ministers, so that's encouraging.  Basically, it shouldn't get you in any legal hot water.  

• Eh, most people I know found the pirates plus the port fees just made seafaring not worth it compared to conventional hunting.  Can remember back in Shallam would have fishing trips most every month but now I don't know anyone who fishes anymore.

• A bit of fishing is alright, but damn is it boring after awhile.  Definitely not why I got a ship.  But yeah, taking this back to the OP, seafaring trade deals don't seem to be panning out for pirates or anyone else lately, not even in terms of a nice little offset for the sheer expense of owning and running a ship, and I imagine the pirates spend a lot of their fees on ammo, which gets real expensive, real fast, if you were actually using it.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I don't really find "you could just always pay us" to be a good reason to go out and sail, personally. It kind of sits with me wrong.

That said though, I always wished people would take the time to learn how to sail properly, which is what I encourage people to do. I know the Nerai could/would never pay off a pirate, but I don't expect it extends outside of us. I don't think any of the cities block paying them off, though.

I imagine a lot of the issues with pirates would fade away with more reasons to sail and thus more people willing to learn how to sail/teach how to sail though. Right now there's just not a lot of reason to go out. I very very occasionally fish (usually to take someone out to chat with more than make money), and do some deals when there's a good one, but even as a Nereian, I don't sail very much anymore, which is a real shame.

Ohwell. Seafaring changes are on the map, they're just not incoming anytime soon.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind

I have a crown trade sitting that I haven't completed because I'm afraid of pirates :(

• Jules said:

It might fall under trading/doing business with city enemies, and it might depend on who you talk to in city leadership.  I'm going to see if I can get an authoritative answer, but yes, it would be shitty.  

No there is no rule about that as far as Cyrene is concered. That would truly be a crappy law.

• edited June 2014

would be cool if there were trades that put gold or commodities into the city. I've done one or two of these trades but by the end of it all, its not worth it for me. I'd definately do more if it helped the city.

And maybe it would encourage cities to group and brave the pirates as the reward is worth the risk. When i put calls out on the navy clan for these things, its generally met with silence. I wanna shoot some darts into hirst's ship ffs.

• Will said:

I wanna shoot some darts into hirst's ship ffs.

Oh, I see how it is. Excuse me while I go find a dark room and a pack of razor blades.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Will said:

would be cool if there were trades that put gold or commodities into the city. I've done one or two of these trades but by the end of it all, its not worth it for me. I'd definately do more if it helped the city.

And maybe it would encourage cities to group and brave the pirates as the reward is worth the risk. When i put calls out on the navy clan for these things, its generally met with silence. I wanna shoot some darts into hirst's ship ffs.

There's nothing really stopping you from doing the gold trades then, and simply donating to the city. 

• I dunno man. I pretty much don't sail because POM exists. To say that piracy gives depth and meaning to the seas is like saying carjackings make having a car worthwhile and interesting. If I'm paying for a ship, I am doing so for transportation and convenience, not for the awesome opportunity of meeting pirates. I can intellectually grasp that paying for protection/meeting death in the depths/being a badass pirate or pirate hunter can be engaging and enjoyable for some; but I'm just not that dude. I don't put myself in a position to be aggravated and I don't complain and cry about things being the way they are. I just do my thing on land, man. Enjoy the yarrz, yo. No hate, just reasons. #realtalk #emptyseas #notplayingtobeatarget

• If you combine Lucine and Khairt's responses in one churning mass, I think you get some approximation of how many of the rest of us feel about it.