Prevent newbies from wasting lessons on non-class skills

Three ideas based on interactions I had with a novice just now suggesting this needs more work:

1) lift the inability to put lessons into miniskills from level 10 to level 40

2) apply the inability to put lessons into General Skills (vision, avoidance, etc.) until level 40

3) when people who haven't trans'd at least their primary class skill want to put lessons into a non class-skill, give an OOC warning/prompt asking them if they know what they're doing and telling them Class Skills are usually the way to go, and that they should proceed only if they're certain. Also maybe tell them to join a House.

Comments

• Yeah, I dont think this needs to be noob proofed any further. I agree with what Iocun said, and for young monks as well as some other classes, a novice may want to put some lessons into fitness to regenerate endurance faster for hunting. Same goes for Philosophy

• Okay, so make some minor exceptions for the good cases where it's necessary like monks and the endurance regen one. But there's no reason we should take the risk that newbie serpents are putting tons of lessons into constitution because they're confused and thinks it gives them more health.

• Okay, so make some minor exceptions for the good cases where it's necessary like monks and the endurance regen one. But there's no reason we should take the risk that newbie serpents are putting tons of lessons into constitution because they're confused and thinks it gives them more health.

Again, this seems to be based upon the premise that there is a 'best' way to play Achaea. Now, don't get me wrong, I 'wasted' a good deal of lessons (paid for with OOC credits, no less) on Riding (and Tattoos, although that was less of a waste in hindsight) as a young Bardlet because I thought it would be c00l, and later regretted it. So I get what you're aiming at, but to address that by making it impossible for anybody to want to be a Bardlet who rides a unicorn but can't sing worth a damn would be a very strange thing to introduce to a game that is purportedly about deep roleplay and customizability.

Bethesda (may it rest in piece) were right on the money when they said that a good roleplaying experience allows somebody a great deal of scope to make decisions, including bad ones. If you feel that this is costing the game in newbie retention, then there may be a case, but really I'd be amazed to learn that it is.

Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • But there's no reason we should take the risk that newbie serpents are putting tons of lessons into constitution because they're confused and thinks it gives them more health.

But such mistakes can be made even with limitations like the ones you are suggesting. What if a newbie masters all his class skills, thinking that he'll be able to use those for hunting, only to later find out that most abilities only work on players? I'm willing to bet that happens quite regularly.

This is a general issue of communication and can't be fixed with hardcoded learning limitations.

• My first character put like 100 lessons into weaponry as a magi. Back then 100 lessons was a lot, I was so upset forever.

10/10 would do again

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • While restrictions may help sometimes, it may be more beneficial for Houses to include an introductory scroll (Yes I am well aware most houses have this) to the House that explains their lessons and skills properly. Also it may be wise to give each novice some type of orientation where they should spend their lessons. Now if you are a novice aide and use HOUSE SKILLS <novice> and see they have learned something that truly would be wasteful, then I would point out using the FORGET skill command may be a better route for them to take so that they learn the skills the truly need at this stage. I don't think there needs to be any formal restrictions, the reason was stated above, older players want to try something new and desire to have their own learning program.