Why Don't You Use the Mobile App Client?

edited April 2014 in North of Thera
Curious as to whether others don't use it for the same reason I don't, or, indeed, if others do use it.
Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
I take my hat off to you.

Comments

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    I miss the option: I have no smartphone.
  • There's a mobile client?

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Two actually, there's an android application, and the HTML5 client scales down for mobile devices.
  • Are we talking about the HTML5 client on a mobile device (tablet/phone) or something else?

I don't use either, mostly because I've never needed to. If I'm not near a computer then I just don't play; if I want or need to I can check forums, messages, logs and news posts on my phone, plus keep in contact with anybody I have on Skype, Google Hangouts, etc.
  • edited April 2014
    Sorry, I am specifically talking about the app; I should have made that clearer. @Tecton, don't suppose you can magically change that in the title pwease?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • KelloniusKellonius Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    I've used it once or twice, but basically I dont use it because it is not viable for me. My character is extremely well known so people want to fight me, rob me, etc, Its very difficult to defend against a lot of this when I'm fumbling around on a touch screen keyboard and my words are be auto corrected to other things. I can find out a lot of things about the game, such as news, messages,etc without logging in so its just not necessary.
  • Part screen size, part taking forever to type. Mostly the latter. Its nearly impossible to type anywhere near a decent speed on a phone, for me at least.
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    -highfives @Tecton‌ -

• AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    I usually just use it during work to check news, minor chitchat, and do errands I can use with WALKTO. Better than worrying about missing something important I might need to know.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    I'd probably break my phone if the unstable university wifi crashed my connection midsession
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Its just really difficult to type sometimes, and as others have mentioned, I don't want to be pickpocketted or afflicted with anything.For logs and such, I just browsed the Iron Realms website until I got an app for it.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    lol mobile apps. I'm still running on the friggin Nokia Brick. It's so indestructible that I've never had an excuse to buy a new one.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    edited April 2014
    I use an app to play on my phone like...all the time

Edit:also screwed up my vote. Ah well. What i get for trying to vote when i woke up from a nap. Lol

• I'm with @Antonius‌ in that there's other means of keeping up to date with Achaea news (be it via website and Skype etc). I've only started to log in on my phone just recently to quickly writelog things or read some letters I've been expecting, then QQ'ing within 20seconds of my appearance. I do need that disconnect, so if no laptop, no Achaea.

That, and it's a pain to type thanks to screen size.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Because playing Achaea from a phone is stupid.

• I just tether my phone to my laptop when my home internet is down. No laptop, means short trips onto mobile, but I haven't fully decided if I like it. So far I'm more comfortable with Blowtorch, but my biggest problem is the formatting on mobile. Achaea's ASCII map looks like shit because it's not maintaining it's standard format. I think the standard format problems are what keep me from using as much as I could.
  • My phone doesn't do that. Not to mention playing off Mudlet without a system just scares the bejeezus out of me.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I use Pocket MUD instead of the HTML5 client to log in. I come around very often to Achaea using my mobile. Sometimes, I can only catch certain people who pop on while I'm on my way to work. At times, I can't make it to certain events but I promised I'll show up for a while.

Don't have triggers while on my phone so I cannot do anything combat-related unless I decide to risk it. I can type just fine on my smartphone. I can still use my in-game aliases to do stuff.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• MinxxMinxx Achaea
    edited April 2014
    I use it all the time. =^-^= (No option really as bills are tight and no pc/laptop.)

It takes a few tricks to run smoothly depending on weaker phones like mine. Pagelength 5. (Do not attempt anything close to 20 pages or you'll lag terribly after awhile.)

Aliases! Aliases are a best friend when it comes to shortening anything.

Pick the right spot and time to hunt/fight. Chances are something will interrupt your progress - incoming call (usually from a random number/telemarketing.) Etc. Impeding your actions and getting you killed. So, handling a mob is pretty risky.

Do not run other apps while playing. High end device or not it will slow things to a degree.

Journals! Journals help with little breaks. You have to answer a call, text, fold laundry, etc. (Letters work too.)

This is just how I play casually. I'm not sure how someone who pvp's a lot sets up their optimum playing capabilities.

:)
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I use Pocket MUD too when logging in on my phone. Little bit slow when people hit me up for runes since I have an alias in Mudlet but I can do a lot if I don't need to cure for anything.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Only time I connect to Achaea on my phone is using Blowtorch to emergency connect when my internet or power dies in the middle of bashing or fighting so I can quit or tumble away from whatever's killing me and quit.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    It's just not very practical really. Not much you can do. Don't have you settings or anything, so whatever you do you're going to be pretty much standing around. Maybe just as a chat tool for when you're stuck at the dr's office and bored, but that's about it.

• @Kresslack you do have your settings if you use html5!
  • Is there an iPhone compatible mobile app? I don't think there is, so that's my reason for not using it. I tried to use the html client on my phone once and it crashed.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited April 2014
    Sarapis said:
    @Kresslack you do have your settings if you use html5!
    I've never used the html5, but I may need to check that out. While we're on this, what about an IRC?

• OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    I solved this problem. Never leave the house.

• edited April 2014
    I have an iPhone so no android app for me.

For the HTML5 client, I was very excited about it at first, and still think it would be the best option for me. The scripting and options possibilities are simply awsome. I tried it on a PC and would totally use/recommand it.

Unfortunately, my issue is really with the GUI. There are still far too many useless things displayed, unfortunately. I once coded a lighter version using JQuery,  but it was still not satisfying enough.

My dream: The HTML5 client with the PocketMud Pro GUI.