Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Tumblolole Races

Comments

• DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,276 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2014
    Bullshit. It works.

Don't make me test my own code, man. What is this.

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/55c5aaea

RTFM next time (aka TURN AREALOCK OFF)

Kafziel such a troll. Going to mail him thirty pairs of grookskin panties for this.
    Sylvance
  • JhuiJhui Member Posts: 1,958 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Dunn said:
    @Daeir's script was coded to tumble on balance gain as far as I saw. The thing with tumble races is that you can tumble off balance so over the course of the ~50 rooms you had to tumble, you lost about .8-1.2 seconds waiting for balance to tumble again. Now, if you tumbled on GMCP room change...

edited March 2014
    It still works, though. Even if it does not work to optimum efficiency, it does do the job. And is still probably quicker than navigating there manually even with the extra 20% travel time added by waiting for balance. Making this work natively off gmcp room changes is an extra.. 4? lines of code in an external script that I can't be bothered to upload. Throw an event on room change, if tumbling state is true, tumble next value in speedWalkDir. Trivial stuff.
  • MakariosMakarios Administrator Posts: 1,798 Achaean staff
    Your script wasn't ever going to work under the tumble race format, because tumble race tumbles don't require or consume any balance. It catches out just about everyone in their first race.
    Exelethril
    edited March 2014
    Oh. I didn't actually participate in the race because it was at five in the goddamn morning or thereabouts. That explains it.

I'll just put my dunce hat back on and sit in the corner.

Is my point sufficiently made, though? With a relatively trivial script, the entire bulk of the event is essentially delegated to a pathfinding algorithm. Could future races have special events arenas for this sort of thing?
  • SarapisSarapis Member, Administrator Posts: 3,397 Achaean staff
    I doubt we'll see tumbleraces in year 700.

Putting them in a special event arena defeats the entire purpose, which (was) intimate knowledge of geography and knowing how to get from A to B in the most efficient way possible. Kind of irrelevant in the day of ubiquitous mappers.
    Exelethril
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, FloridaMember Posts: 4,918 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    No tumblerace for y700?

@Iocun gon be mad.
    "You have had an extraordinary adventure, my dear. Extraordinary! One that few people could ever imagine. Treasure it. Keep it safe and secure, tucked away in some special place in your heart. 

But... don't spend the rest of your days chasing a ghost."
    A little bit. You could hamstring every mapper in existence by temporarily omitting gmcp room data, if that is even a possible toggle on your backend. I like the idea of a race, but you should shove some mario-kart stuff in it (a la tumbleweb but more intense) to give the event a bit of flesh outside of simply locating a given point.

Or have city vs city thk/yank/barge races. That'd be hilarious.
    Daeir said:
    A little bit. You could hamstring every mapper in existence by temporarily omitting gmcp room data, if that is even a possible toggle on your backend. I like the idea of a race, but you should shove some mario-kart stuff in it (a la tumbleweb but more intense) to give the event a bit of flesh outside of simply locating a given point.

All someone would have to do is build a db of rooms that's based off a combination of room title and exits from that room to do the same without gmcp room data.
    Nim
    My preference, at the moment, is to replace it with a ship-based event. Ship arena, perhaps. 
    Kinilan
  • DunnDunn The great Buffalo tundraMember, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,062 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Kinilan

The maple leaf signal!

SarapisKafziel
  • KinilanKinilan Member, Seafaring Liason Posts: 1,255 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Dunn said:
    @Kinilan

The maple leaf signal!
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    MelodieYaeKuy
  • TeshaTesha Member Posts: 2,881 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2014
    Ship stuff? :( I hope there's a call for ideas or a poll or something before 700, replacing one of the championship events is a huge deal. 

That said, I used my mapper for the tumblerace with just two modifications, no idea what Daeir posted. I think this tumblerace would have been a lot better if it wasn't based on finding the plinth in an entire area, that leaves a lot up to chance and turns it into more of a luck or team based. Which might be slightly better than script-based, but I'd prefer something skill or knowledge based. 

Tumblerace should probably be replaced. There are other events that are already team based - xpevent and bandersnatch. Quiz is mostly solo, twins is obviously 2v2. Another solo event would fill in the roster nicely. I think if the majority of the events are team-based, it will just turn into who has the most people. Maybe jousting would be a good championship event for the next one.

i'm a rebel

JosoulKazu
    Ships are one of Achaea's biggest systems that lends itself to competition, after PK and hunting, so it makes sense to include it in the Championship.
    NemutaurDaeirMelodie
  • SantarSantar Member Posts: 2,382 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I don't think the anti-ship whining as much merit.

People could say the same thing about other events about not liking quizzes/hunting/combat.

Ships are also fun for solo players and large groups of people. Would love to see more seafaring oriented events added, for sure.
  • JonathinJonathin Retirement hole.Member Posts: 3,323 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2014
    Seafaring events for points would be pretty nice actually.

If they're put in as part of the games, it might bring more people into the world of ship combat and exploration as the games draw near. It would be cool to see more people actually getting into that whole facet of combat.

inb4 the naysayers: just because you don't like seafaring doesn't mean that other people don't. There will still be plenty of other events to supplement your lack of enjoyment of ships. Also, if you don't have a ship, get one or join an organization that has one. There are plenty of non-city organizations/people (PoM, Mountain Mariners, Iron Privateers, Mariners Guild, Orders, friends, parents, etc) that will allow you to use their ships.

My site will remain up, but will not be maintained. The repository will continue to have scripts added to it if I decide to play another game. Maybe I'll see you around in Starmourn!
    Tutorials and scripts  The Repository

DunnDaeir
  • DraekarDraekar Member Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    A solo sailing circumnavigate type race could be fun, especially if you threw a few seamonsters in the water!
  • FlorentinoFlorentino Member Posts: 516
    The Quiz is one of the only Achaean events where there is no financial barrier to entry. Twins and the xp event benefit greatly from artefacts, and the bandersnatch does to a lesser extent. How are people who don't have Seafaring supposed to even try to compete in the ship event? Meh.

Josoul
  • JarrodJarrod Member, Seafaring Liason Posts: 3,060 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Why should players with extensive investment of time or money for bashing/credit purchases not have better odds, that are obtainable by anyone else, at a huge event in the game they invest their time/money into?
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

Sylvance
  • NimNim Member Posts: 2,015 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    No worldwide freeze tag?

</3
  • TeshaTesha Member Posts: 2,881 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Foozle would be fun, but it's got a ton of luck. For example: Your card is: Ugrach (lol), summerstorm, cheetah, squid, colbey (dead) vs orc, captain, mage, smith, catfish (all in one area).

i'm a rebel

• KinilanKinilan Member, Seafaring Liason Posts: 1,255 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Draekar said:
    A solo sailing circumnavigate type race could be fun, especially if you threw a few seamonsters in the water!
    Course 5 is about as close as you can get to that. it took about half an hour before the chops north of Thraasi/Tasur'ke were made even worse and when you could wavecall in ship races then sleep back your endurence while someone else wavecalled the ship forward a bunch more. Seamonsters wouldn't do anything but get in the way and/or cost the race for whoever thought it was a good idea to slow down and kill it while veryone else continues on their way. They can't do crap to your ship unless they are right beside you.

Also, solo sailing is for chumps. These latest races were the most exciting I've been in if just for the crew and passengers and aside from a handful of passengers from Ashtan that wanted to watch everyone else was contributing in one way or another. Taraus was navigating from the nest Jarrod was calling targets while Dunn and Jarrod laied down a hail of spidershot, Nemutaur was manning the helm setting jink as needed and I was doing the piloting and the results of our teamwork in the group activity that is sailing are obvious. We rocked the first race with nobody in sight before we even reached the first gate. the second race where everyone was going the wrong way because of a bug in shiprace bearings we clawed our way from what was precieved to be last all the way to first before the race was restarted and we would have taken first in the last race by a fair margin if I hadn't DCed
    . Thankfully Jarrod was on the ball and took over fairly quick. Seriously Jarrod is Ashtan's hero in the 650 games. guy deserves a statue.

I'm all for ship things in 700 Af games and beyond. Just not solo. That's not what seafaring is about.
  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,735 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jarrod said:

Why should players with extensive investment of time or money for bashing/credit purchases not have better odds, that are obtainable by anyone else, at a huge event in the game they invest their time/money into?

Can you captain a ship with literally no Seafaring? I'm totally oblivious when it comes to ships because it doesn't interest me at all.
    Need at least 1 SPP for Command, I believe. Can get that with less than 30 lessons.
    Tharvis
  • DunnDunn The great Buffalo tundraMember, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,062 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Or they can just give everyone the ability like they do with the tumbleraces.

• ShunsuiShunsui Member Posts: 681 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Have a worldwide seamonster slaying contest, with points varying on the size and type of monster slain, with additional points for sinking other participating ships.

As for being able to participate...seafaring only costs a little bit of gold and some time to actually acquire. Sure, captaining is a lot easier with trans, but anyone can fire a ship weapon with just 1 SPP. Honestly a seafaring event would probably open up participation to more people than most other events, since you need a captain, someone to lead forceboards, and a crew to fire weapons/follow along for forceboarding. Only issue I see is how to distribute championship points to the winning crew. Maybe have a designated 'leader' (not necessarily the captain) who gets the 10 points, and everyone else gets half? I dunno how that would work precisely. Giving everyone 10 seems weird.

• JaizsurJaizsur Member Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Tesha said:
    Foozle would be fun, but it's got a ton of luck. For example: Your card is: Ugrach (lol), summerstorm, cheetah, squid, colbey (dead) vs orc, captain, mage, smith, catfish (all in one area).
    There isn't really that much luck involved. You know you're going to get a card with some unfoozable items, that's part of the game. The key is to find the closest object on that list (even if it's only worth 1 point), foozle it, submit the card, and move on to the next card which is hopefully completable.

Sarapis said:
    Daeir said:

All someone would have to do is build a db of rooms that's based off a combination of room title and exits from that room to do the same without gmcp room data.

Or just use Achaea's colour config to make room titles a unique color and trigger room entry on that. But that said, even with ubiquitous mapping, if you're making the tumblerace slightly riddle based then the winner is going to be the most clever one.

Kazu
Sign In to Comment.