Invisible Disconnecting

Ok, here's my problem. If I don't do something for a short period of time and then go try to do something, or just press Enter, I discover that I've been disconnected, it doesn't say anything until then...

[ INFO ]  -                 
[ INFO ]  -  Socket got disconnected. The remote host closed the connection
[ INFO ]  -  connection time: 00:06:46.367
[ INFO ]  -                 

^I'm not sure what the connection time is exactley (I've been connected for 6 minutes?), I got that after logging in, doing nothing but checking the time,

It's mid-morning in Achaea.
The phase of the moon is that of the Waxing Gibbous.

In your world, it is 2014/03/02 12:36:31 GMT.
See HELP GMT for an explanation of GMT.

My internet connection seems to be fine, and I even tried configing the TIMEOUT to 200 Minutes. I honestly don't know exactly how long it takes for this to happen, but it seems to be fairly short. I was exhausted IG, slept, and was disconnected before I woke up (didn't get any dreams either).

Does anyone have any idea whats going on here and/or how to fix it? I spoke to Juliet about it and she wasn't able to help either other than to say that maybe there was something wrong with my Modem (If there is I don't think it's going to be fixed anytime soon). I'm a Mudlet newb btw, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Mudlet Client, does it?

Comments

• Sometimes isps will cut inactive connections after a little bit, might want to give them a call.

• This has been happening to me a lot recently, and is a new thing.  I'm not sure if it's the game or my internet, but it has occurred on 3 different ISPs so far, so I'm going to assume it's the game.  I've actually gotten fairly quick about manually reconnecting to the game after about a 3+ second lag spike, while fighting deathknights.
  • Check your router doesn't automatically drop inactive telnet connections. Its a fairly common setting on a lot of them.
  • Makarios said:
    Check your router doesn't automatically drop inactive telnet connections. Its a fairly common setting on a lot of them.
    How do I check that? And if so, how do I fix it?
  • edited March 2014
    Go to your command prompt (if you're using a windows) and get your router's IP by using the IPCONFIG command.  Copy/paste it into your browser, which'll pull up your router settings page.

I doubt this is the issue though, as it won't drop connections that are actively being used, which is what we're seeing.  I've had it drop on me in combat, when there was tons of activity going on.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    This has been happening to me a lot recently, too. I'd understand if I was afk or something, but most of the time thats not even the case. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Ummm, it tells me that the address is to large to process...
  • an IP address will be configured something along these lines:

No more than three numbers between the periods.
  • Shirszae said:
    This has been happening to me a lot recently, too. I'd understand if I was afk or something, but most of the time thats not even the case. 
    @Crealden @Shecks and @Shirzae me too, so you're definitely not alone in this. Between random disconnects, lag, and the current credit market, I am facepalming. A lot.
  • edited March 2014
    I'm guessing the HTML client on the website doesn't use telnet, but just in case it has any relevance, here are times between my last action and when I was disconnected while using it due to idling.

23:47:00 - 00:17:15
  • I think it may have something to do with our wireless router that my brother brought and has hooked up that we're using. When I ty to look up the IP it says I need a password, he should be getting back today I hope.
  • NimNim
    edited March 2014
    I personally don't see this issue at all.

(Sorry, it had to be said! It is true though - all I've been getting are random 1-4 second lag bursts.)
  • I get DC/d like that sometimes too. Happens occasionally while I'm hunting and then I die to something like... a newborn pinky rat. And it makes me frown.

• I switched over to using a direct wire connection to my iPhone, and using its 4G hotspot, which seems to be working better for me, even if 4G has some intermittent lag bursts.  Way better than just arbitrarily disconnected me with no message every 10 minutes though.
  • I'm still waiting for my brother to get back, the HTML client is cool and all, but I just really prefer to use Mudlet.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Basic Achaea connection troubleshooting:

Step 1: run tracert achaea.com from the command line.
    Step 2: Save results somewhere.
    Step 3: Connect to Achaea via Mudlet.
    Step 4: As soon as Mudlet disconnects you, run tracert achaea.com again.
    Step 5: Post results.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I've had this issue a lot while playing Achaea (or any IRE game really). It stopped after I purchased a new wireless router. I'm willing to bet almost all of those having this issue are playing via wireless, and are utilizing a Cisco consumer or older Linksys router. 

If you're experiencing the 'no data, disconnect' Try playing Achaea while hard wired into a router/switch/modem. That is, an ethernet cord running from your NIC card to another phyiscal Ethernet port that gives you internet access. Play that way for a week or so. If you do not have the problem any longer, then you can confirm it is the wireless connection. 

Again, after I bought a new router (MikroTik one for those wondering) I stopped having the wireless dropping issues. 
  • Well, my brothers going to try updating the firmware tomorrow, but he thinks it's something happening on Achaea's servers end of things and not on this end, but we'll see I guess...
  • I stopped using my router and it stopped occurring for me, but I haven't changed routers since it started, so I wonder if something was changed with Achaea's ISP or server that my router doesn't like.