How would you describe Achaea to a friend?

AlcinaeAlcinae AFK
edited November 2013 in North of Thera
I've been pondering this question for quite some time now, as one of my friends has taken a small interest in the combat logs I keep reading in between breaks. I find it somewhat difficult to explain the whole premise of Achaea beyond that its a fantasy MUD (and what a MUD is, of course) and how the game is extremely fun, as I am not exactly good with words. So I ask you all this: how would -you- describe Achaea to another?

Comments

• Text based sandbox roleplaying game set in a fantasy world loosely based in Greco-Roman and a bit of Norsk mythology. Think Dungeons and Dragons, LOTR and Magic the Gathering without taking turns and complete free for all. 

Scares them, but when they see me play sometimes, it works. 
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Its like riding a bicycle.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I present it like a "choose your own adventure" books that has no end.
  • JozlynJozlyn out of here.
    An interactive fantasy world that is constantly changing with your input and the input of others. Basically your imagination with some limitations.  Otherwise I call it this awesome game that I play. When they ask for details I mention that it's text based and they treat me as if I were insane. 

Now when the non-believers ask, I say I don't want to talk about it, just come over here and drink the kool-aid already.
     yes, sir.
  • edited November 2013
    It's kind of like writing a story except the setting is predetermined and each character is played by a separate person.  
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    A text-based roleplaying world which, while lacking graphics, more than compensates with a level of creativity and unpredictability that you can't get outside of a MUD. It's a place where you can be anyone and do anything; where the possibilities are only as limited as your imagination. A place where you can be a warrior, a scholar, a merchant, a dragon, or even a god someday. Everything is possible in this world which directly changes based on the player community and what they do within it.

• I equate it to other games like reading a book vs watching a film. Then point out that it isn't an 8 hour and it's time to sell it again kinda game, that you can do pretty much whatever you want.
    Achieved dragon on the 13th of Aeguary, 634 - aged 21 and 1 month and 21 days.

Elder dragon on the 6th of Chronos 635 - aged 22 and 8 months and 14 days.
  • JozlynJozlyn out of here.
    It's okay @Direv. They're just jelly. 
     yes, sir.
  • I'll second what's been mentioned a thousand times: I've always made the analogy of books versus movies, poetry versus paintings, et cetera. Each has virtues, and while you may be completely wrong, silly, etc for preferring graphical MMORPGs, I can see where the simplicity, lack of imagination, and boring endgame could hold the attention of... certain people.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I usually just start with "It's a MUD", and possibly follow up with some of what separates it from other MUDs I've played. Most of my friends know what that means, and the ones that don't are unlikely to be interested.
  • Eld said:
    I usually just start with "It's a MUD", and possibly follow up with some of what separates it from other MUDs I've played. Most of my friends know what that means, and the ones that don't are unlikely to be interested.
    Most of my friends aren't even into games, let alone know what MUDs are. :(
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Siana said:
    When a friend looked over my shoulder yesterday, he said "What language are you programming in?"
    every time. every damn time.

I just tell them I bypassed the firewall of a major security firm and am looking at their medical files. At this point they get this look of panic in their eyes, and back away slowly. I honestly have no idea why...
  • "It's a text-based MMO where I started playing because I was sorta depressed in Korea, somehow ended up in a leadership position, and 90% of my time in it consists of sniping bitches and cackling about it."

The lady friend approves.

• The simplest way I've always done it and have generally gotten favorable impressions is, "The best way I can describe it, is it's like a book, but you're a living character in it."  
  • I have no friends. 

• ValdusValdus Australia
    "Watch out for the Bonko's!!"

Viva la Bluef.
  • Kresslack said:
    Synbios said:
    I have no friends. 
    You'll always have the person in the mirror. 

The thing on the mirror looks upon me like OH WAIT NO DON'T LEAVE ME, REFLECTION.

Jozlyn said:
    Synbios said:
    I have no friends. 
    I thought we were friends. Forget it, I don't even like you anymore.
    Apologies, human, you never really liked me - you only liked the organic shell that I sometimes inhabit to interact with your fellow fleshlings. That's understandable.

(Besides, even if we were friends, I wouldn't need to describe Achaea to you since you're already playing it. :< )