I've been obsessed with housing lately for no real reason, and in the midst of contemplating my dream house, I came across a few obstacles that had a pretty significantly negative factor in my desire to spend effort and credits on getting a text-house.
1) I want to make a big house with lots of cool features and non decay furniture and whatnot. But I want to make it in the style of a family manor, meaning a lot of people would use it, and I wouldn't want it to be rendered useless when I inevitably, someday, go dormant. I want people to be able to enjoy it after I'm gone, and continue making expansions to reflect a growing /changing family/organisation.
2) The home owner being the only person able to use many of the upgrades, place furniture, set door perms, create, change and destroy rooms and exits, makes the investment significantly less appealing. I would be more than willing to invest in a 400 cr stable upgrade that my allies could use, but for myself...I don't have mounts, so it'd be pointless for myself.
It has been brought up in previous incarnations of the forums that perhaps some aspects of housing could be made into investable powers to allow for more flexibility in house improvements andb expansion. I thought it might be worth a shot to revive the idea and gauge plausibility/feedback from the admin.
In order of most wanted to least wanted:
1) Being able to grant others the ability to drop/place furniture.
Multiple people can already place furniture in org buildings, surely it should be possible to do this also for houses? I think it would encourage people to buy furniture as gifts and such, as well. This was listed in the old forums, but I don't know what came of that.
2) Being able to grant others the ability to create rooms/exits, but not destroy.
This was rejected previously but no reason was given. I suspect it has to do with the fact that rooms and doors are bought with credits, and ownership in case of a falling out is always a contentious issue. I can understand that, but also suggest that it should be the onus of the player to know full well the risks before they decide to do it. People giving credits to another person for the privilege of a room in their house already exists - this would just let them do it on their own without the hassle.
As for the argument that it would sell less houses/plots, I don't think that's true. I would be -much- more likely to buy a room attached to a house with history than make a new one completely from scratch, simply because it would have a far greater roleplay meaning. We have so many plots of land belonging to dormant people anyway that never get used, and the subdivisions only get bigger and bigger.
3) If the above is not possible, perhaps just the ability to edit room descriptions and setting door perms.
This would make it easier for people who own rooms in a building to renovate their own rooms, and it has minimal structural impact - the owner can always change it back and it costs 1000 gold.
As for perms, you can already appoint co-captains on a ship who can set boarding perms, and it's not like you can sink a house!
4) The ability to jointly use some upgrades.
Residents of a house already enjoy all the benefits of the other upgrades as long as they have access - can stables not be the same? I really think it would encourage more people to purchase the substantially expensive upgrade. It could even be limited to a certain number - maybe only one per person not the owner, or maybe only five people could be assigned perms - assuming this is possible.
I hate typing on my phone so that's all for now. Feedback is most welcome, I'd really like to hear about why these may or may not be possible/good ideas, and alternatives if any.
If you like my stories, you can find them here:Stories by Jurixe
and Stories by Jurixe 2