Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Xbox One Or PlayStation 4?



  • LailaLaila Member Posts: 65 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Neither, Achaea rules my gaming life and always will
    It saddens me that both consoles will be joining the rest of the technology under my tv for me to dust. My bf refuses to choose...the big nerd -_- he also refuses to get rid of the old versions. That one corner of my lounge is rapidly becoming as valuable as my shoe collection!
  • SylvanceSylvance Member Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Playstation 4
    Adet said:
    The graph on the left covers quite a small period in time, particularly given that the last eighteen months of it are projected (but not actually labelled as such).  Particularly, the estimate that XBox One will see a decrease in software revenue next year seems unlikely, to me - I'd be interested to see the basis for that (unfortunately, DFC want to charge me $3500 for the report).  I'm also not a fan of area graphs generally: I don't find them to be particularly effective in communicating information.

    The right-hand graph frustrates me for a few reasons.  First, I don't particularly like the use of "Developer thinking of Space Invaders" as a representative of "10% of developers" device - but that's personal preference.  Of greater concern to me is that I have no idea what each percentage means.  Is this platform-exclusive development?  If a developer works on different platform-exclusive games for XBox and PSX, do they "count" for both platforms - or neither?  In addition, it's an utterly pointless metric without more information.  Of course more developers develop (at least initally) for PC: it's an open platform, with far fewer hoops to jump through: you don't have to get your game "licensed" for it, for one thing, and with the (admittedly flawed) greenlight, and numerous websites which give a lot of coverage to indie games, PC is the natural choice.  The graph also tops out at 77%: where are the other 23%?  If that's mobile gaming, then it's a significant contender that should be included in the metrics.  If it's "other", I'd be interested to know just what that covers.  If it's "non-exclusive developers", then again I think it's a significant statistic and should be included.

    To answer the original question, I have a PS3.  If I were to buy one of the above, it would probably be a PS4 - but given how infrequently I play games on anything other than my PC, it's unlikely to happen for a while.

    @Aedin: I realise that your post was tongue in cheek - and I imagine (hope!) the graph was meant in a similar tone... but bad infographics frustrate me.  Here are some more, for anyone with similar feelings (because I shouldn't be the only one to suffer!)
    Dude, chill out.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • AdetAdet Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    That's an entirely fair comment.  I'm going to blame a lack of coffee.
Sign In to Comment.