Trade Skill - Woodcrafting

Frankly I feel Achaea could use a few more trades to give a more diverse trade/shop system, and I think this would be wonderful. The Abilities it would contain:

Pipes - Carve out a simple pipe.
Vial - create a simple vial.
Arrows - Craft Arrows from wood.
Bucket - A simple bucket for practical uses
Tinderbox
- Useful item for lighting objects
Pike - A pike for gruesome uses
Crossbow - Craft this powerful projectile weapon
Longbow - A longshot bow
Darkbow - The deadliest of bows

DESIGNS:

Can create custom designs for the following items: Pipe, Vial, Tinderbox, Crossbow, Longbow, Darkbow

Comments

• aaaaand there go the forests. Or at least all the wood commodities. 

Unless, in a swamp, jungle, or forest environment, one could GATHER WOOD (add to gathering?) and you'd look for smooth, straight sticks in the underbrush?

• I've always wanted to see more crafting skills, and I think woodworking has come up numerous times before. Still a fan.

Animal husbandry would be cool too, though it'd be nice if it was made to be different from the other crafting skills, though I imagine writing code to breed animals dynamically would be more effort than it's worth. Maybe something simple-ish like chocobo breeding in FFVII though?

I'd still take something that just allowed people to design and sell different (perhaps strictly equine) breeds of the various mount ranks, though.

• Silas said:
     Maybe something simple-ish like chocobo breeding in FFVII though?  
    Only if the trans skill lets you breed this:

As for the OP- love the idea, things like arrows are always a nightmare to find around ctf time, and it would be nice to have the option to get vials a bit cheaper than 300 per when it comes time to replace.

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    @Silas would be interested in husbandry. ;)

Seriously, though, I would like to see woodworking. And bookbinding. And drink-mixing (hint, hint). I think the list of workable items in the OP could use some expansion - at least include boxes, figurines, and other decorative items, if not custom furniture (which I believe was denied in another thread).
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • I'm against the idea.

All of these items can be bought in denizen shops. As for the designs, I fear they would completely overshadow the unique weaponry inherit to Houses and Cities like Targossian/Genji/Hashani Darkbows, which give unique cultural significance to said and other organizations.

Bling on weapons should be reserved for artefacts, because quite frankly they deserve it.

HOWEVER, given the upcoming CTF and accompanying ammunition fever, I wouldn't mind seeing fletching as an ability...

...in Forging. *cough*
  • CardanCardan The Garden
    Item 5 on The List Part II:

Woodworkng/Leatherworking/Sculpting/Drink making miniskills.
  • This looks pretty boring tbh. Being able to design your own vials and pipes would be interesting. There's nothing new in the skill though, nothing that isn't already bought from Rurin's shops. I'd want to see people able to make cool new things, not just reskin existing stuff.

I'm also concerned that this would remove several items as goldsinks. When you pay 300 gold to an NPC for a vial, that gold is removed from the economy, which keeps things churning (gold comes in from bashing/questing, gold goes out through goldsinks, otherwise you get inflation). If you're instead paying gold to other players, that removes goldsinks, which is a bad thing because inflation.
  • Push the concept further by separating the wood commodity into tweny different types.

• wtb pine

• edited August 2013
    Definitely the trade-skill (or the Gathering skill) would gain the ability to collect wood from Forest/Jungle/Swamp rooms. Without that, wood prices would skyrocket.

Mostly I would love a way to make arrows rather than depend on the one denizen shop in your city. Cant count the times I've went there to find the arrows are out and have to wait for the next day to buy. Arrows are a very simple concept, and so shouldnt be an 'non-doable' item by Achaeans imo.
  • Asmodron said:

Mostly I would love a way to make arrows rather than depend on the one denizen shop in your city. Cant count the times I've went there to find the arrows are out and have to wait for the next day to buy. Arrows are a very simple concept, and so shouldnt be an 'non-doable' item by Achaeans imo.
    Sounds like we need an Arcane Archer prestige spec for serpents/knights. Tsol'aa only.
  • Everything should be craftable, end of story.