Omnipave vs SVO

Ask the title suggests, I was wondering if someone could give me a basic break down of the two systems. Is SVO better? How reliable are both of them? Pros and Cons of each? Been trying to ask in game but most the people I talk to are the ones who made their own.

Thinking of getting Omnipave since it is a free and testing it out, I'm just curious if I should work on trying to figure out how to buy SVO or if Omnipave is equal enough that I can just stick with it.

Any advice and comments are appreciated.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Depends. You could technically make omnipave "better" by just adjusting all the code and making it suit you, integrate offence into defence and all that lovely stuff. Making your own is the "best" way to go, and with omnipave you can basically "make your own" with that as a base.

However, if you aren't too big on coding, and want something that "just works" with a bunch of nice features, svo is very reliable itself. I've never had any particular problems with it that haven't been resolved easily. That is NOT to say you can't do a lot of coding with svo. It has a large, well documented API with heaps that you can do with it.

summary: Like coding? Go with omnipave. Want to jump right in? Go with svo.

quick edit, as well... Some people (I know I do) have a profile for each. When I wanna tackle my project I've been working on for ages I load up omnipave and tip-tap at my keyboard for a few hours and test stuff out, and I really enjoy it. Then again I really like writing codey nonsense.
    -
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "If I overdose on anything, though, it'll be a lack of anything."
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "Isn't Morimbuul that Arab that was banished to beneath Mhaldor or something."
  • I must admit, I know nothing about coding. It interests me, I just have no experience other then Nexus which was easy and Zmud...like 10 years ago heh.

But I have been trying to read over some of the stuff regarding Lua and seeing if I can grasp it. Maybe I will go with Omnipave for now and see what I can do and if I can learn from it.

Appreciate the info. Looking forward to other people's views too. Everything helps.
  • Asaharu said:
    I must admit, I know nothing about coding. It interests me, I just have no experience other then Nexus which was easy and Zmud...like 10 years ago heh.

But I have been trying to read over some of the stuff regarding Lua and seeing if I can grasp it. Maybe I will go with Omnipave for now and see what I can do and if I can learn from it.

Appreciate the info. Looking forward to other people's views too. Everything helps.
    If you have minimal coding knowledge, my honest suggestion is grab omnipave and stick with it a while, as long as you actually want to learn.
    I learned so much about scripts and such just from fixing problems with/adding stuff to/changing stuff in omnipave. You see what does what, what works, what does not work, it's like attending a private course in lua.
    -
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "If I overdose on anything, though, it'll be a lack of anything."
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "Isn't Morimbuul that Arab that was banished to beneath Mhaldor or something."
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Svo will tend to out do Omnipave as Vadi generally is more committed to releasing updates and introducing new features. 

I have tried to make Omnipave as easy to edit and update as possible, but have not had time to document it, o implement the features Vadi has for svo. Svo is not a bad investment if you wish to make the purchase, but I like to think that you can get by with Omnipave.

I (Carmain) am more than happy to try and help fix any bugs or issues, or write features for you if you ask. I tend to do them on a case by case basis, and a lot of my updates/features tend to be written for individuals as oppose to be implemented in the main system, because I work for free, and it's difficult to spare the time for everyone. I enjoy interacting with people though so asking for things generally means you will probably get things, especially if you bug me a lot.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae