Visually impaired advice

I have a degenerative eye disease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinitis_pigmentosa) that may or may not leave my ability to play our favourite game in serious jeopardy! I was wondering if there were any other players out there who might suffer from sight issues, and what advice they might have for someone who is worried about his future ability to play.

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I believe there's a few visually impaired players around and they get by on screen readers. There's a clan dedicated to it in game but someone will hopefully give you more details.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited May 2013
    VIPmud is a good client to familiarise your self with. It's a bit out of date, but from what I've heard from one of its users is that there are some great updates in the works for it. 

Mudlet is currently developing a screen reader accessible client (I believe it's only compatible with JAWS though.)

Look into clients that have screenreader compatibility, portable sound effect, and consider looking at braille displays.

VIPmud is also working on NVDA compatibility if JAWS is out of your price range.

I have no idea how compatible the HTML5 client is, but @Tecton, or @Sarapis may be able to fill you in there.
  • It also probably depends on what you actually like to do in Achaea. If you enjoy combat, it might be a bit harder to adjust to a screen reader. It is possible though, since Tanris managed just fine with one. However, I don't think it will be a huge hurdle for any other part of the game aside from potentially sailing.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    The HTML5 client -should- work with a screenreader, the biggest problem is that many text-to-speech programs do not support Firefox/Chrome/Internet Explorer 10, which the client needs to work - once these issues are resolved, we'll do our best to help make it work as seamlessly as possible for JAWS and other software packages.
  • Tanris used his irl mindseye.

• Tanris was the best. Why is he not playing anymore?
    Light prevails, always
  • He was summoned back to his home planet. :-\"
  • He was summoned back to his home planet. :-\"
    Seriously, though. Dunn's sig feels creepy. Where is Tanris?
  • And Tanris isn't the only blind/visually impaired player who has been a successful combatant in Achaea. I don't doubt there's a serious initial hurdle in getting your whole system going, but once you crossed that, you can be as good a fighter without being able to see as anyone.
  • Iocun said:
    ...you can be as good a fighter without being able to see as anyone.
    Or perhaps better? After a certain point I heard complaints that Tanris's screenreader was allowing him to process information more speedily. Heh.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    reflexing off sound can be quicker if done right, but it takes a lot more practice and getting used to initially.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Azor said:
    Iocun said:
    ...you can be as good a fighter without being able to see as anyone.
    Or perhaps better? After a certain point I heard complaints that Tanris's screenreader was allowing him to process information more speedily. Heh.
    Which makes sense, neurologically. Human reaction times for auditive stimuli are about 20% (?) faster than for visual ones, as far as I know. Ears are our primary "warning sense", while eyes are a bit more aimed towards "close examination". So yes, adding sounds to your gaming can make you slightly faster.
  • Cue a rush of scripts to add sound to various systems.

• Yeah I need to learn how to use mudlet to play sounds. First thing I'm going to do? Play the over world theme from the original NES Legend of Zelda every time I use landmarks.
  • Omito said:
    Yeah I need to learn how to use mudlet to play sounds. First thing I'm going to do? Play the over world theme from the original NES Legend of Zelda every time I use landmarks.
    playSoundFile("/path/to/sound/file") should do the trick.
  • The best use of sounds is playing the original Final Fantasy's sailing theme song every time you board a ship that's on the seas.  It makes sailing slightly more tolerable.
  • Penwize said:
    The best use of sounds is playing the original Final Fantasy's sailing theme song every time you board a ship that's on the seas.  It makes sailing slightly more tolerable.
    Do you then switch to the fight music if pirates show up on shipwarning?
  • Could throw the Kefka laugh in there as well if you're looking to slowly go insane.