Newbie question about choosing a city

Just started playing today and was looking for some information on Targossas.  I was hoping to create a back story as a survivor of Shallam.  Will we be able to eventually join Targossas?  If I join another city until such time would I be able to still join Targossas?

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance!!

Calraven

Comments

• Have you contacted anybody in-game about joining? Take a look at HELP TARGOSSAS and contact somebody listed as "Able to induct new citizens". Auto induction isn't currently set up, and potentially (probably?) never will be, since the process is currently slightly more involved than with other cities, but I also think it would be possible for you to join if you were truly interested in doing so.
  • If you made a character now, you would be 18 years old, so you could feasibly have been alive during the destruction of Shallam. I don't know exact dates, so I can't say for certain. At the very least, you would have been very young during it's destruction.

You could be a child of New Hope! Good luck with your character :)
    "Under all that we think, lives all that we believe, like the ultimate veil of our spirits." --Antonio Machado
    "The belief that becomes truth for me is that which allows me the best use of my strength, the best means of putting my virtues into action." --Andre Gide
    "It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well."  --Rene Descartes
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Shallam was destroyed about 13-14 years ago.  So that would make a new character about 3-5 years old.
  • Write a detailed background of how you escaped the sinking city as a baby. Maybe your diapers made you float, it's possible.
  • I don't know, Echald. That's a little overboard

He doesn't have to go too in-depth.

Maybe just a strong propensity for shoes enchanted with water-walking.

(heu heu heu)

"Under all that we think, lives all that we believe, like the ultimate veil of our spirits." --Antonio Machado
    "The belief that becomes truth for me is that which allows me the best use of my strength, the best means of putting my virtues into action." --Andre Gide
    "It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well."  --Rene Descartes
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited May 2013
    Echald said:
    Write a detailed background of how you escaped the sinking city as a baby. Maybe your diapers made you float, it's possible.
      Or maybe he simply had parents.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:

Echald said:

Write a detailed background of how you escaped the sinking city as a baby. Maybe your diapers made you float, it's possible.

Or maybe he simply had parents.

Shallam only had orphans.
  • By the way, when considering whether you were an orphan or had long-lost parents, make sure that you leave that part in your background vague, in case you get yourself bloodlined somewhere in the future. This lets you avoid awkward questions as well. 

• WAT BLOODLINE ?!

i'm so glad you said something about this @Synbios
  • Keres said:
    WAT BLOODLINE ?!

i'm so glad you said something about this @Synbios

The best part about being 270+ years old is that I can use the excuse of 'It's 200 or so years old, I doubt I can be bothered to remember who my parents are at this point' as an excuse for my wonderfully-clean bloodline.

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Background suggestions: orphan of the Basilica. Caravan took you out of Shallam with other orphans. You rode in either a cart, or toddled with your hand held by some denizen. You grew up in quiet anonymity with other transplanted orphans in New Hope. Once you obtained your 18th birthday, you decided to rejoin the ideals of your birth city, who raised you into adolescence at the monastery. You want the Shallamese refugees-turned Targossians to be able to feign ignorance of your character as a child. Hence quiet anonymity.
  • Thanks everyone for your help!! 

Nizaris - you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with your background suggestions.  Now, I just have to come up with a description of myself.  Since, I'm only 18 I have plenty of time to grow into my character. 
  • Keep these things in mind:

1. Achaea is a fantasy world, but due to its multiplayer nature, no one can be considered a 'main character'.
    2. Try to keep your background as vague as possible, so that any changes in your present will not contradict with your set background(case in point: 'my parents died', when BLOODLINE shows that you are the son of an active character).
    3. In conjunction with point 1, Please, PLEASE, avoid Mary Sue traits. When someone brags about being perfect, invincible, lovable, etc., inevitably, someone who is probably 1732% of your might will happily prove you wrong. That is, if the Divinities haven't gotten to you first.
    4. Again, with point 1, interaction between characters should be a give and take process, sharing the spotlight so that everyone gets focus. There's nothing that drives away future interaction more than being an attention hog.

Good luck in your endeavors and I hope to see you ingame as a future citizen of Targossas.