Standard Bearer

I've thrown this idea around a bit before, and I guess it caught on to some extent because I saw that a "Banner of conquest" was recently put up in the auctions, or recently won. However that goes.

Anyways, the original idea I had for a standard and a standard bearer would go like this.

You're getting ready to go raiding, you got a bunch of people one of your guys says "Hey, let's add some insult to this injury."
You say "Sure that sounds like a great idea, what should we do?"
guy says "Hey, let's bring something valuable and wave it in their faces while we raze the city."
You say "That's a great idea, but how do we do that?"

Well ask no more! I present to you your cities standard! Complete with an awesome coat of arms, flapping billowing cloth, and even a  few cool messages like propping it or waving it around. But before you buy, let's look at the restrictions of the standard and it's bearer.
Dropping it is shameful, as it lies broken on the ground once you let go, unless you put it in a stand (Located in your home city)
No aggressive actions while holding it, or you'll drop it! And people will look at you angrily for dropping such a precious item.
If you die you drop it! then your enemy gets their grubby hands on it.

Now to the important part. What does the standard do for your team?

Nothing! That's the best part. This is just optional. It handicaps your raid force, it's just an extra kick in the dick to the enemy if you want it to be. It's your flag, it's your pride. It's something very special and dear and it serves literally no purpose.

It's an idea I've had for awhile now because well.. people like tangible things, people also like things that give them bonuses and goodies. But I do not see enough respect for something from a pure RP stand. Sure it's out there, but a little more could always be useful.

Oh and finally, a few restrictions.
-only approved people can remove it from the stand in the city
-once removed, anyone can get a hold of it
-anyone may put it back in the stand
-resets after 1-5 RL days (as a pride issue, for the team that gets to hold it. would like to hear your opinions as to how long it should be)

Aaand, that's about it. Doesn't really add much to the game directly, but I believe such a thing could add a lot of potential RP.

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."

Comments

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I support this idea. I will steal... my own standard daily.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    There are already heraldic pennons that you can leave in an enemy city without handicapping yourself.

Something like this would be neat though, maybe...
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Synbios I was thinking more like Mel Gibson in The Patriot.
  • edited May 2013
    I remember talking about this with Aepas before, I've always really liked the idea, anything to do with a team's flag and updates to it is something I'll be partial to. In the Army we have the Guidon (Guide-On). Its essentially our own standard, and its present wherever we were. From the physical training location all the way up to the combat zones we are in, the Guidon is somewhere close by. 

I think as far as application to achaea goes, the standard or standard bearer should have magic or attribute effects. Things to consider are buffs to the bearer himself, or more importantly, an area effect on his group. Nothing major, but something that would make its use fun to implement. But more than anything, the standard when used on Achaea should be the mark of  your organization beating down that of enemy one. It should scar the area it was used for a duration to maintain its most dominant effect, the proverbial face-slap. When it becomes some sort of lolztroll combat buff, it disrespects the very idea of it.

Originally, the MLY would plant very well created banners in "deforested areas" when it went clearcutting. Then later, it evolved into the more serious RP variant, the OIA, where it served as a momento of areas we fought and bled in. To have something like a standard, with its own specific set of code and merits would be a really good achievement. To keep its prestige up, don't allow clans to have it. Rather, let the High Clans wave their dick around a bit and give it to them, Guilds, and cities. Any lower org forms would dilute it. That said -please review your High Clan applicants which are more than patient with solid RP projects waiting on the Garden, who are unfortunately working on some very curious and unnecessary projects that make you wonder, "So no time for a Mhaldor God...but we have time to put a gumball machine in Targossas?..right."
    I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • edited May 2013
    I like the idea. I'm almost always in favour of "props" that add to atmosphere without providing any mechanical benefits.

I also like the fact that it doesn't "leave a mark" like a pennon does (or like Xenomorph's suggestion would), but is only up while it's being wielded. That prevents stuff like simply running into a city covertly (or trespassing while no defenders are around), "taking a dump", and running away again. Leaving a mark is also a mechanic that already exists in the form of destroying rooms, so this doesn't need to be doubled up.

As proposed, it will of course be used rather rarely, as it means you have to take a person with you who can't contribute to the fight at all, but still needs to survive, making this only viable in really large-scale raids. That's not a bad thing though, as in order for such things to retain RP value, they shouldn't be overused. It should probably be something to only use in large, significant raids.

Nevertheless, using it could perhaps be made slightly more inviting, by making the "wave it in their face" part a bit more pronounced and not just a small line on quicklook which most people won't even see. Not exactly sure how to accomplish this best though, but maybe just some small flavour text additions, like modifying the deathsights of people dying in a room where a standard bearer is present. For example:
    Under the waving standard of Mhaldor, Aepas has severed Iocun's head from his body with a mighty blow.
    (Note: such deathsight modifications would only appear if the banner is in different city than your own. Standards should be for raiding, not defence.)

Also make it colourful and really visible in the room, etc.

As for the situations that would cause it to be dropped:
    I recommend that doing aggressive things doesn't drop it, but that it simply prevents you from doing aggressive things. Will make it less likely to drop it by simply accidentally hitting some button and makes it impossible to use force abilities to make you drop it.
    Also, I believe that using any long-range transport should drop it as well. No earringing/winging/raidoing/universing in and out with standards! Also, a standard bearer can be located by anyone regardless of veils, cannot be phased, blackwinded, astralformed, hidden, shrouded, or otherwise invisible. You can't be holding up a large sign saying "Here I am!" and expect to stay hidden. Using a standard covertly would defeat its purpose.