Bisemutum/Myrrh use

I'm just wondering if we could possibly have a new function for this mineral/herb. It's effect is hardly noticeable even before the learning change. With learning this quick now it's not even worth using.

Just putting out an idea. Perhaps make it identify if amnesia has struck or something. Other ideas are welcome too if this idea could cause combat imbalance or whatever.

Comments

• NemutaurNemutaur Germany
    Still a useful junk def that you can use for combat to make random def stripping not hurt as much.
  • Myrrh can't be stripped anymore. This was changed a long time ago.
  • Implement my new class and have mind damage healed by smoking myrrh/bisemutum.

Or just leave it as a concoctions-only herb, like kuzu/slipper (and formerly ginger) which also don't do anything else.
  • Sena said:
    Implement my new class and have mind damage healed by smoking myrrh/bisemutum.

Or just leave it as a concoctions-only herb, like kuzu/slipper (and formerly ginger) which also don't do anything else.
    Or mine! Or mine!
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I proposed a change since it's included in our ability and I think it's a waste that it is no longer worth using and creating. Transmutation is a trade skill. I was hoping that everything listed in the skill set could be used and/or sold for profit.

Perhaps this thread should just focus on bisemutum. Someone has informed me myrrh actually is an ingredient to some of the concoctions.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Anything can be sold for profit. It just comes down to finding the right buyer, or any buyer I suppose.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • But the problem is if an item has no use, why would anyone even buy it? 

I don't think anyone in their own classes want to have a skill they have rendered useless more so if you have already created a bunch of them.

• Venser said:
    But the problem is if an item has no use, why would anyone even buy it? 

I don't think anyone in their own classes want to have a skill they have rendered useless more so if you have already created a bunch of them.

Sell them to novice aides who haven't caught up on the learning changes and want myrrh to give to their newbies.
  • Don't repurpose myrrh. Just make it no longer harvestable (same for bisemutum) so it can become a UselessRareGood for rich people to spend their money on and for me to make money with.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    My alt has 10k myrrh :( don't make it useless!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• It be cool to lice the myrrh / bisemutum with venom for a assassination attempt. IG
  • Lice are deadly, true story.
  • Venser said:

1) Myrrh is not useless. It has a specific, clear use. That you don't like that use, or the magnitude of its effect, does not make it useless. I happen to think that marijuana is useless. It still seems to sell pretty well.
    2) If what you're arguing is that every class skill should be zomgmazingly effective, then, sure, let's have a cull of the entire skill system, because that isn't how Achaea works. Every class has its meh skills, it's speedbumps and its upgrades. Them's the breaks.
  • Sylvance said:
    Venser said:

1) Myrrh is not useless. It has a specific, clear use. That you don't like that use, or the magnitude of its effect, does not make it useless. I happen to think that marijuana is useless. It still seems to sell pretty well.
    2) If what you're arguing is that every class skill should be zomgmazingly effective, then, sure, let's have a cull of the entire skill system, because that isn't how Achaea works. Every class has its meh skills, it's speedbumps and its upgrades. Them's the breaks.
    1. Point taken.
    2. I'm not arguing that every class skill should be "zomgmazingly effective" but I want every class skill to matter.

I'm not even asking for a "zomgmazingly effective" change. In the OP I'm just asking if it's POSSIBLE to change it and provided an example and even asked feedback from the community.

Sorry, if it looked that way to you. :(

• edited May 2013
    Venser said:
    Sylvance said:
    Venser said:

1. Point taken.
    2. I'm not arguing that every class skill should be "zomgmazingly effective" but I want every class skill to matter.

I'm not even asking for a "zomgmazingly effective" change. In the OP I'm just asking if it's POSSIBLE to change it and provided an example and even asked feedback from the community.

Sorry, if it looked that way to you. :(

@Venser - Don't be sorry; I probably stated my position somewhat more bombastically than I'd intended - my bad, man. Don't let work-stressed idiots like me put you off floating ideas.

ETA: I'm just butthurt because I wish I had a tradeskill (by which I mean alchemy/potions or forging).
  • @Sylvance - It's all good. No worries :-bd

• Thanks for the much-needed LOL, @Delphinus. I'm not quite at that point yet, but pretty damned close.
  • Vasse said:
    Lice are deadly, true story.
    Sorry I meant Injected.. not Lice :|
  • @Venser - change your icon back, else it looks like @Delphinus has lost his mind...
  • sylvance is a girl? wtf.  I thought a dude the whole time
  • I'm both.
  • Sylvance said:
    @Venser - change your icon back, else it looks like @Delphinus has lost his mind...
    For posterity:

• @Sylvance @Delphinus - I don't get it... :(

• On-topic, no, myrrh and bisemutum don't need a new purpose. The problem should come before the solution.

Now, if your first step is to say "We need an amnesia-sensing defence" or "Freeze-pound is too reliant on non-class skills" or "Wtf I kicked an guard and died????//1", this is a better start. Identify a problem worth solving, and then propose a few solutions. Even then, though, there are far more useless plants (kuzu, slipper, burdock) that can be given new properties without cannibalising myrrh's intent.
  • Also, "useless" items are a nice thing. They can serve great roles as various "props" to play with and can be put to whatever use you can imagine. Not every item needs to be mechanically powerful to have a valid place in Achaea.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena

Myrrh is still excellent for giving to denizens to test whether they return items they don't want/use.

• Krypton said:

Myrrh is still excellent for giving to denizens to test whether they return items they don't want/use.

Chicken. I hand them one of my 100 credit rapiers.

• Arador said:

Chicken. I hand them one of my 100 credit rapiers.
    At least you've got two of those.