Sites you visit

Comments

• Rangor's and Santar's posts are the best, take serious note of them
  • edited April 2013
    I spend a lot of my downtime (of which there has been plenty recently) at work on various sites in the Stack Exchange network. They have a couple of sites in particular that may have the kind of people we'd want to attract: Science Fiction & Fantasy, Gaming and Role-playing Games. The main downside is that the traffic on some of them (such as Sci-Fi & Fantasy) seems to be pretty low.
  • Rangor said:
    I thought people generally ignored ad's..

If you get articles posted about the game on various gaming sites, computer geek sites, where people will actually stop, read about it, check out the review and then maybe try it out there would be more success.

Alternatively we could stop posting our logs/discussions on forums and move it to reddit/achaea.
    People pay less attention to ads than they did 10 years ago, but this is all easily measurable. We know how many times the ad got viewed, how many people clicked through the ad, how many of those started character creation, how many dropped out at each stage of character creation, how many made it to the end, how many started the newbie tour, how many got to each stage of the newbie tour, how many played for at least an hour, at least five hours, etc etc. As is approximately normal today, we had about a .1% clickthrough rate on ads, so we got somewhere around 1200 unique reddit users visiting the site from that promotion.
  • gaiaonline might actually be a good idea. that site really does have a huge rp community and I used to play there before migrating over to achaea.

other than that though, I frequent umm... deviantart, etsy, pinterest.... stuff like that. >.< I don't think they're great for advertising text games.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Averi said:
    gaiaonline might actually be a good idea. that site really does have a huge rp community and I used to play there before migrating over to achaea.

other than that though, I frequent umm... deviantart, etsy, pinterest.... stuff like that. >.< I don't think they're great for advertising text games.
    I've been on Gaia Online since 2005, I am not sure that site has what we are looking for. The vast majority of the community there are angry angsty teenagers (or younger) trying to outdo each other on how rude, loud and condescending they can be. My friends and I long since gave up on trying to have anything resembling meaningful discourse on that site, those of us still there just log in to talk to each other or poke around the guilds we're in. Achaea has a higher maturity level than Gaia, and I am not sure how many of them would tolerate having their massive senses of entitlement be challenged by people who weren't put on this planet to deal with their tantrums.

tl;dr: we probably would get some players off there, but I am not sure they would be the sort of players any of us would want to be around.
  • deviantart.com
    tigerdirect.com
    pastebin.com
    sxc.hu
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • edited April 2013
    I think ads only are profitable for those selling ad space. Need to get people talking and reviewing the game and increase SEO that way. There really aren't any current sites talking about Achaea any longer
  • deviantART
    Gunnerkrigg Court
    Unsounded
    MS Paint Adventures
    Equestria Daily
    Penny Arcade

As an homage to text-based adventure games, MSPA fits to a degree I hadn't realised. It's a shame 4chan doesn't offer by-board advertising, or I'd suggest /tg/.
  • From most of the Achaeans I know, Deviantart seems extremely popular.
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Delphinus said:

As an homage to text-based adventure games, MSPA fits to a degree I hadn't realised. 
    also, everyone there is guaranteed to have an attention span!

• Cracked.com
  • Truth be told Sarapis, I think a little bit of advertising on Sherdog, both .com and .net could go a long long ways. A lot of "like minded" individuals there.
    I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • Delphinus said:
    deviantART
    Gunnerkrigg Court
    Unsounded
    MS Paint Adventures
    Equestria Daily
    Penny Arcade

As an homage to text-based adventure games, MSPA fits to a degree I hadn't realised. It's a shame 4chan doesn't offer by-board advertising, or I'd suggest /tg/.
    Actually, it's easy for us to advertise on MSPA. Just a question of whether it's a good deal or not. Will have to compare it to other sites on Project Wonderful's advertising network.
  • @Sarapis You should maybe consider doing an AMA on reddit's /r/gaming or /r/gamedevelopers. Very few people see an add for an RPG and stick with it. I think most folks would want to stick with a game that they have some sort of connection with the developers and owners. 
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    @Jonathin listed Facebook, which I think a fair bit of IRE users use, and that might be worth looking in to. The only game adverts I see on FB are for FB games, which are boring and pointless turn based games.

• If Achaea makes a facebook app...

Help.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    @Kresslack: Liked because you mentioned my name and I saw a pretty little notification that I never see.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • The talk about Facebook is funny because they kinda already did that. Bring back FB credits, please! (I kid, of course).

also, apparently Imperian beat us to MSPA, at least in Canada and the EU

• www.Kongregate.com

www.dragonsmark.com

www.enworld.org

www.reddit.com

etc.

• Trevize said:
    If Achaea makes a facebook app...

Help.
    Oh yeah... you weren't around for that... :-\"
  • RIP facebook credits

• Nakari said:
    The talk about Facebook is funny because they kinda already did that. Bring back FB credits, please! (I kid, of course).

Well, that's me running that Imperian ad, based on this discussion in fact. Imperian is further along in revamping their newbie intro than Achaea is. We're using them as a testbed.
  • responsive admin ninja :(

• Mannimar said:
    Trevize said:
    If Achaea makes a facebook app...

Help.
    Oh yeah... you weren't around for that... :-\"
    I don't want to know...

Sarapis said:
    Nakari said:
    The talk about Facebook is funny because they kinda already did that. Bring back FB credits, please! (I kid, of course).

Well, that's me running that Imperian ad, based on this discussion in fact. Imperian is further along in revamping their newbie intro than Achaea is. We're using them as a testbed.
    Oh! They -are- good for something! :p
  • I would like to see facebook credits back possibly with more rigorous criteria for receiving the credits, such as the person must create an account, register it, possibly purchase credits or a membership. Maybe hit a certain level goal or playtime amount?  Something that couldn't be easily abused.  Advertisement that doesn't immediately get flagged as an add to the viewer is more effective advertisement in my opinion.  I know I make a lot of my purchases based on opinions of friends or reviews on social websites like YouTube.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited April 2013
    Rangor said:

If you get articles posted about the game on various gaming sites, computer geek sites, where people will actually stop, read about it, check out the review and then maybe try it out there would be more success.
    ^truth

• Slashdot.org
    Giantitp.com
    Lfgcomic.com
    Xkcd.com
    Omgubuntu.co.uk
    Penny-arcade.com
    Leasticoulddo.com

• welp, scratch mspa, that's going on hiatus and page hits are going to plummet really soon, I expect.