Infamy Ranks

Can we please have a command within the existing Ranking system to show who the top [10?] Infamous are? To be clear, not rankings of the characters with the highest infamy, because they might not all actually be Infamous, and that can only end with misunderstandings and tears.

It makes sense, just given the title of the thing, that people should know who the Infamous are.
Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
I take my hat off to you.

Comments

• Once I threw pie at people. And then I became infamous. It was awesome. The end.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • I like the idea in spirit, though people have repeatedly pointed out in the past that the infamy system has some...quirks.

The ideal thing to do, I think, would be to add this alongside a quick look at the infamy system itself.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Infamy as a mechanic doesn't necessarily mean that someone should be famous for bad behaviour. There are people like Jahan and Hips... you know the rest, that are actually infamous to us outside of mechanics.

No to this.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Can we please ban Sylvance from posting bad ideas? A new thread pops up every day, it seems like.

Re: the actual idea, you don't need hardcoded rankings for everything. People are infamous because they're remembered for being terrible people. You'll hear their names in casual conversation, generally, and can find out more from there. This is also disregarding the fact that there's no single standard for notoriety - somebody who chews gum and farts in the Lyceum will be public enemy #1 in Cyrene, but won't even register in Ashtan, for instance.

• edited March 2013
    Eh - I don't see any real reason why you can't have both. I can understand why you wouldn't want hardcoded infamy lists (for the same reason you wouldn't want hardcoded infamy at all), but I don't see what that has to do with non-mechanical infamy.

Having a list of players with high hardcoded infamy doesn't make the people who are infamous in the non-mechanical sense somehow less notorious. It's not really a one-or-the-other thing. No one's going to look and say "Oh, Jahan's not on the top infamy list? I guess I'll forget who he is then."

We've already got hardcoded infamy, so I don't see a huge problem with the idea, though admittedly it does seem like more work than it's probably worth.
  • Hardcoded infamy exists solely because of the old PK rules. It was a way to guard yourself from the unrelenting wrath of the Almighty Deletus when you needed to kill bitches like Shecks. It serves basically no purpose now, and should probably be reworked along with the mark system or scrapped altogether.

• Silas said:
    somebody who chews gum and farts in the Lyceum will be public enemy #1 in Cyrene, but won't even register in Ashtan, for instance.
    Not so. The raid group would hear it.
  • That's actually a way better idea.
  • Yeah no, infamy just needs to be reworked along with the Mark system. It's a way of showing who can be killed for no particular reason, like Marks can. But marks needed to be fixed along with the pk rules change.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Sylvance said:
    Can we please have a command within the existing Ranking system to show who the top [10?] Infamous are? To be clear, not rankings of the characters with the highest infamy, because they might not all actually be Infamous, and that can only end with misunderstandings and tears.

It makes sense, just given the title of the thing, that people should know who the Infamous are.
    It only makes sense if you want people competing for the top spots.  Even with theft nerfed, that could have unpleasant side effects.
  • Bad idea is bad. Delete infamy, mix Marks, Silas said it