Room-look during follow

Lifting this off the "If you were a newbie combatant..." thread as an official idea:

For those following someone, when the group leader changes rooms, the followers only know that they moved to a room name, but they do not get the benefit of seeing what's in the room unless they do a manual QL. Why not make it possible for followers to automatically QL when they move to another room, similar to normal movement? To reflect my addiction to all things configgable - have this functionality be a toggleable ability in Vision or a config option, like, say, CONFIG FOLLOWQL ON/OFF, for those who like it less spammy?

Comments

• less spammy how? With it seems like it'd be even more so which, huge lines of texts moving as fast as everyone moves around now. They'd lose track more of whats happening, lets see raid defense and they got it on. Could very well easily miss a last minute target change or perhaps the their city is about to be raided and someone over CT announces it yet their following someone and don't get to see it. It just going to make it more spammy on those who use it compared to not having it. I'm personally fine with how it is. Anything thats going to make a person get more spam than anything especially for a novice it's going to confuse them even more.

Less spam for a novice is better, and I don't really see a benefit to this for novices. If you wanna do a QL every time a simple trigger and a single toggle alias will do fine.
  • edited September 2013
    Pretty sure he means less spammy if you use the config option to turn it off...

ETA: We have got to stop bringing 'You can code it yourself' to the table. Just everyone assume that everyone already knows this any time it's true.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • He said toggleable ability. Thus, it's an option for people, not a requirement. Thus, for novices, you can simply configure it off and it's not a problem @Aedin.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Yes but how often would it truly even get used? I don't really see it being used really at all if any though.
  • As a newbie combatant I desperately want this. I don't know who the heck we're walking into, who we're walking past, and can't keep track of who is in -my- group, I don't know when we found them, when it's time to hit, when to start defending someone, and I always end up jumping in 5-10 seconds late and I hate it.

The argument that you can just make a trigger to send QL each time you follow isn't really valid, since you'd end up sending ql 5 times in the last room instead of once in each room 9 times out of 10--and besides, by the same token, you can just make a trigger to capture target calling out into a box. It goes both ways.
  • Aedin said:
    Yes but how often would it truly even get used? I don't really see it being used really at all if any though.

Not to sound selfish, but I'd use it, for one. Having to think 'OKAY, WILL THE NEXT MOVEMENT OF THE LEADER TAKE ME TO THE ENEMY, OR WILL IT JUST BE A REPOSITIONING?' and having a nervous knee-jerk mash of the hamstring/bashing macro on every movement can be frustrating. 

Besides, I always found it strange that I'm 'blind'(that is to say, I didn't see the enemy until I have to QL after movement) when I'm following - as if all I can see at this point is the back of my leader.

• edited September 2013
    Dolomar said
    since you'd end up sending ql 5 times in the last room instead of once in each room 9 times out of 10

Just tested it for shits and giggles 0.068 latency 0.015 scripts and I'm on shitty wifi as well, never missed a QL at all and this is with mapper running around sapience for about 5 minutes straight from Aalen, to Targ to Northreach and back couple of times.. Point proven easily can be done with a trigger. No need to bother those who code with something we all can do ourselves much quicker.

Enjoy simple two second trigger and works just like how y'all want

trigger:
    ^You follow (\w+)    -- Perl Refex

if sql == true then
    send("ql")
    end

Alias:

^tql$

if sql == nil then

cecho("<red>\nQL ON FOLLOW ENABLED!")

sql = true

elseif sql == true then

cecho("<red>\nQL ON FOLLOW ENABLED!")

sql = nil

end

EDIT: Oh yes forgot you wanted it, to be toggleable here ya go!

/thread
  • edited September 2013
    Haha my normal is 0.2... I'm lagging bad and get spikes randomly up to 1s+ lag time ask anyone whose watched me d.c constantly for ten minutes straight its same connection as well. Still worked fine. No excuse for being lazy and trying to give more stuff for the coders to do when you can spend a simple two second fix  and have the same effect. Pointless. You're playing on a mobile client probably don't need to have it on anyways with how many lines per second you would be getting from it.

Find me a Mhun with an anklet and we'll test it. I'm sure the effect will be the same it'll send through every single time never missing a beat.

edit: 3.5s latency is where it breaks however.

• Aedin said:
    -script-
    Doesn't help when Xer walks you into (probably Hasar's) retardation. This isn't an ideal situation where a script would be an ideal situation for the reasons Sena listed as well as a few other scenarios.

• edited September 2013
    If you had a perfectly constant 0.2 seconds of latency and the person you were following was moving at a perfectly constant speed (even as mhun with an armband of celerity), it should work, yes. But latency isn't constant for most people. If things are going well, I have a normal latency of 150 ms, but every once in a while it's a bit or significantly more (typically stuff like packet loss), and that would definitely lead to many late-firing QL triggers.

Furthermore, movement also doesn't tend to be at constant speed. Depending on your char (mhun/armband) you have a number of free moves per second, which you can (and sometimes will) use up at once, not evenly spread out over this second. If, for example, I have to walk only three or four steps, I will execute the three or four direction commands almost at the same time.
  • Sounds good. Adding it as a balanceless vision ability, similar to vigilance, will probably be more newbie-friendly than making it a config option, though, since they're encouraged to check their skills much more often than checking config.

• Actually while we're on the subject.
    Add a CONFIG FOLLOWMAP so the map gets displayed on follow at the least?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I'd like to bump this idea once more.

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    I'm not sure if GMCP gets forwarded to the followers or not. Might want that too. (if it doesn't cause hella lag for everyone)
  • I'd like this.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Strata it does. Targeting using gmcp room info updates while following so I wouldn't imagine other things can't.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."