Phaestus, the Smith (for real this time)

Comments

• I'm not quite sure what a god looks like. ;) 

Sarapis is just an ordinary-looking human in robes whose cowl keeps his face in shadow, for instance. Not every god has to be emanating power visibly, I think.

• YueYue
    edited February 2013
    He's taller than the mountain behind Him.. that's pretty god-like.

EDIT: Actually, that just makes him a giant.
  • Oo sexy legs.
  • Obviously the pose and facial expression are lacking because he's got more beer to be drinking and more forging to be doing. Can't be all posed and radiant when he's losing time and money and getting more and more sober.

• Shunsui said:
    I think the only thing really 'off' about it is the setting, kinda always imagine him with a forge and molten metals nearby, otherwise neat!
    Well, sure, sometimes, but the Gods aren't statues fixed in one place/setting either. They move around, they do many different things. Here, you can see, he is......standing. Regally standing. Standing like a champion. Nay, like a God! I dare you to try to stand as well as that.
  • Yeah, that's Him! Awesome!

My daughter said, "Why is he in a skirt?". To which I replied, "That's a kilt!". Then she said, "He looks funny showing his knees".

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Shao Kahn's benevolent brother.

• Phaestus is the tallest dwarf.
    I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• He's so... Pretty. Haha.

Not a word I ever imagined using to describe the Rugged One.
  • AlcinaeAlcinae AFK
    edited February 2013
    ... He's hot!
  • edited February 2013
    Sarapis said:
    I'm not quite sure what a god looks like. ;) 

Sarapis is just an ordinary-looking human in robes whose cowl keeps his face in shadow, for instance. Not every god has to be emanating power visibly, I think.

This is true, but when you're standing in the presence of Sarapis you know that. He needn't look like a god, but he sure seems (smells, sounds, feels, whatever) like a god. In order to convey that in a piece of visual art, it needs some kind of... something... extra.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Cadmium on His shoulder?

• His description says that he's a radiant immortal!
  • Sylvance said:
    Sarapis said:
    I'm not quite sure what a god looks like. ;) 

This is true, but when you're standing in the presence of Sarapis you know that. He needn't look like a god, but he sure seems (smells, sounds, feels, whatever) like a god. In order to convey that in a piece of visual art, it needs some kind of... something... extra.
    Just be glad they have clothes on! image
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    The mortality aspect is perfect for Phaestus, and the pauldron, and the falcons, I love it.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • Iocun said:
    His description says that he's a radiant immortal!
    Right. Radiant is also a word typically used to describe, say, people on the cover of a beauty magazine. Or pregnant women. It does not literally mean someone glows!
  • I love that every time any of these things get posted, 90% of the responses are people complaining that it doesn't look like the way they would do it.

I, for one, really like this. I have a habit of thinking of Phaestus as a sort of armour-clad giant dwarf smith person and this is much preferable.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    This is probably my least favorite so far...I expected him to be more rugged yes, but something about the face doesn't sit right with me, too narrow?
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    In response to the question regarding what is god-like about him, surely the placement of his hammer must be indicative of something. ;)

Seriously, though, I like this one. Not all of the gods need to be wreathed in a halo of divine power, and given the attitude that Phaestus personifies, this is a good likeness...though, I do agree that there may be a need for a flagon and a couple of wenches!
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited February 2013
    Sarapis said:
    Just be glad they have clothes on! image
    Um, have you seen some of our Goddesses? More Greek-style toplessness now!

• AitoxAitox South Africa
    He looks like Jesus.