Furnishing Your Dreams!

Corny title entirely aside (I couldn't resist) the changes to furniture mean we can now look to more easily expand the what is offered in the furnishing range.

With that in mind, we're inviting you to suggest all those Achaea-suitable material types and furniture items that have not previously been available!

I'll leave this thread open until the end of Sunday, then the team will go over the ideas and implement the best and most suitable.

Note: This is not a suggestions thread for new tradeskills, non-furniture items, housing features, or alterations to servants.

Comments

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited August 2016

Non-artefact Bed

For the record these are the already existing materials/options:

The full list:
    Types
    --------------------
    Armoire, basket, bed*, bench, blanket, bookcase, bookshelf, cabinet, chair, chest, couch, counter, desk, dresser, mirror, ottoman, pedestal, pew, rocker, rug, runner, sheets, shelf, stool, swing, table, tapestry, throne.
    (* the cost of beds is in credits (see HELP BEDS))

Materials
     ------------------------
     Alder, amethyst, bamboo, beech, birch, bone, bronze, cedar, cherrywood, cocobolo, copper, coral, crystal, diamond, driftwood, emerald, eucalyptus, glass, gold, granite, hazelwood, iron, mahogany, marble, oak, onyx, opal, pearl, pine, platinum, ruby, sapphire, silver, steel, stone, topaz, unspecified, wicker, wood.
    (* 'unspecified' means that no material will be apparent in the final item.)

Coverings
     ------------------------
     Cotton, fabric, fur, lace, leather, linen, satin, silk, uncovered, velvet, wool.
    (* note: coverings may have colours and colour modifications as below)

Linings
     ----------------------
     Cotton, fabric, fur, leather, linen, satin, silk, unlined, velvet, wool.
    (* note: linings may have colours and colour modifications as below)

Colours
     ----------------------
     Argent, azure, black, blue, brown, cerulean, crimson, gold, green, grey, indigo, ivory, magenta, maroon, mauve, olive, orange, pink, purple, red, saffron, scarlet, sienna, silver, tan, teal, violet, white, yellow.
    (optionally modified by bold, bright, dark, light, pale, or strong)

Finishes
     -----------------------
     Lacquered, painted, polished, stained, unfinished.

Specs
     --------------------
     High-gloss, low-gloss, matt.

Shapes
     ---------------------
     Crescent, heart, heptagonal, hexagonal, octagonal, oval, pentagonal, rectangular, round, square, triangular.

Heights, Widths, and Depths
     ------------------------------------------
     Tall/short, broad/narrow, deep/shallow.

Styles
     ---------------------
     Classic, fancy, ornate, plain.

Also from the old thread:
    Szareine said:

Furniture

1) Display cases. Glass or otherwise with lids to open/close and an editable label. Done yay!

2) Curtains / drapes (maybe with a push/pull function to allow different sets of messages for day/night time / weather?). This could be part of a window-upgrade option.

3) More container options: trunk, strongchest, barrel

4) More lighting options: Sconce and chandeliers

5) Other fixtures/deco items: 
    - Rack
    - Hammock
    - Altars (can be designated/sanctified by respective Orders? Not a shrine, purely RP)
    - washbasins/sink
    - mat
    - Statue carvings
    - Pillars
    - Bar
    - Non-artefact bed

6) Material changes:Glass, cocobolo and other woods (reference vial shop in Eleusis for examples) and Crystal rather than crystal encrusted. And also inlay.

(non-artefact bed)

• edited August 2016
    Wash basins 

(Non-artefact beds)

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Mirrors! Pillows. Hooks? Racks?
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Mirrors are already in. I didn't add racks because:

Message #287        Sent by Achaea
    7/21/7:08 Your idea #336 (New furniture idea: (clothing) racks.) has been approved 
    for implementation.

That was in July so I figured they'd added it in or had it on the list already. Or they turned it into that mannequin, in which case, RIP cause I wanted a towel rack. 

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Skye said:
    Mirrors are already in. I didn't add racks because:

Message #287        Sent by Achaea
    7/21/7:08 Your idea #336 (New furniture idea: (clothing) racks.) has been approved 
    for implementation.

That was in July so I figured they'd added it in or had it on the list already. Or they turned it into that mannequin, in which case, RIP cause I wanted a towel rack. 
    Bolded was true with the former furniture system, but did not make it into the current furnishing trade skill. Would be nice to have them added back in!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited August 2016
    I would like to suggest -- allow people with this tradeskill to work on artefact beds and alter them and leave the artisan's imprint. I am not saying waive the credit price of the bed or the credit price to move the bed, I am just saying, let the bed be available for re-design for a price, by a person with this tradeskill. There's no reason for normal furniture to be customisable but for the bed to be left out. A bed, while having serious powers, is still in the end a piece of furniture. I don't know what it's called, but some high-end beds have translucent very thin and fine curtain type things hanging off top-reaching rails and they sway with the wind... that would be nice to put in, though I have no clue what comms you'd need for that.

As for comms, I think lacquer, as a commodity, should definitely receive heavy use, as should all ornamental comms such as gems, gold and silver. It was historically possible for royalty to deck out their furniture with such expensive commodities. Also, cheap and gaudy and not-so-good versions should be available for those who want cheap and/or ugly furniture for whatever reasons.

• Patterned soft materials (like checked blankets) polka dot linings
  • Bassinet?
  • Wine rack

• edited August 2016
    No, barrels you can break once a day for a tiny pitiful gold
  • edited August 2016
    I'm usually not fond of throwing ideas out in (basically) a brainstorming session as they pop outta my head, especially not on forums where I'm likely to be trolled or ridiculed unnecessarily. But, lemme take a shot.

Material Types:

Cobalt ore (shhh... shhhhhhhh... this will benefit everyone.)
    elemental ice (before anyone questions it. Caer Witrin. Tobe. Shush.)
    the souls of orphans/children
    skin
    quartz (does that count as crystal?)
    tightly interwoven vines or leaves (Loosis!)
    what do those rare mineral things look like in regards to mining? I don't know how they look and stuff, but, usable as materials?
    porcelain? ceramic? I think I've seen ceramic floating around

Furniture items:

There's a disturbing lack of bathroom items. Every house I've ever been in with a bathroom, it's either just described with bath stuff in it, or it's been turned into a water room (which people fill with kelp and harvest to get some practicality out of it.)
    Tubs or wash bins -  Maybe even a step further and you can fill them with a bucket of water? Sit in them? Bathe? I don't know how much effort you guys wanna put into this. Varying sizes and stuff means pool parties.
    doghouse? birdhouse? put one or several minipets in it and they piss off out of your inventory until you get them back? Wait, should I keep trying to add any functionality to these or are they supposed to just be like barebone items???
    what are those screen things you get dressed behind? Privacy screen? divider screen? We're in the right time and stuff for those yeah?
    trash bins? (for the broke mf that can't afford a humgii, doesn't wanna be bothered to find one, etc. Throw stuff in and just wait out its decay?)

edit: took out chandeliers. I was beat to that one.

uhhh... yeah. That's all I can just pull straight outta my head in this one go. If I come up with anything else that I like I'll come back.

• Tahquil said:
    Chaises and fireplaces? (Hi @Aerek)

Fireplaces you could put a wood commodity in it for 1 hour of ambience messages, and can put letters it it for char/completely destroy affect,
    fireplaces are already a housing upgrade, you add wood and get the ambience thing

• New content is always cool.

Well done guys!
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• I want habitats. Freshwater habitat like an aquarium. Jungle habitat for small jungle creatures. Perhaps a swamp habitat for small swampy things.

But what I want more, is lockable things.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Achilles said:
    I hope there is an Ikea option where we get to put the furniture together ourselves.  Meatballs plz.
    Have just come back from Ikea. Bye bye bank balance and weekend :(

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    Oh, another material suggestion: seaglass or sea glass.

Pretty please.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
    edited August 2016
    Also, now that I'm looking through, it looks like we're missing some things from the old furniture system beyond just mirrors: I also don't see armorieblanket, cabinet, couch, counter, or ottoman.

I already TYPO'd the missing commodity/gold use of stools below, but just in case anyone catches anything I might miss, here's the full list of items you can make, spread throughout various abilities in furnishing:

Throws (Furnishing)                           Known: Yes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Syntax:            
    Details:
    Your studies have progressed to where you may weave basic soft frames out of cloth to make the following: sheets, rugs, runners, tapestries

Costs
    -----
    Sheets  : 50 cloth + 2500gp shop fee
    Rug     : 75 cloth + 2000gp shop fee
    Runner  : 100 cloth + 2500gp shop fee
    Tapestry: 300 cloth + 3500gp shop fee

Chairs (Furnishing)                           Known: Yes
    Syntax:            
    Details:
    Your studies have granted you the ability to construct the basic frame of chairs, allowing for the creation of: chairs, benches, thrones, stools.

Costs
    -----
    Chair : 100 wood + 2500gp shop fee
    Bench : 200 wood + 5000gp shop fee
    Throne: 700 wood + 5000gp shop fee

Containers (Furnishing)                       Known: Yes
    Syntax:            
    Details:
    Learning the careful art of carving and shaping, you have learned the method to constructing containers, allowing for the creation of: baskets, bookshelves*, bookcases, dressers, chests

*Bookshelves have a far higher commodity cost and workshop tax as they are associated with libaries and will not decay

Costs
    -----
    Basket   : 40 wood + 2000gp shop fee
    Bookshelf: 1000 wood + 300000gp shop fee
    Bookcase : 1000 wood + 475000gp shop fee
    Dresser  : 120 wood + 2800gp shop fee
    Chest    : 100 wood + 2200gp shop fee

Surfaces (Furnishing)                         Known: Yes
    Syntax:            
    Details:
    You have mastered the patient art of planing, granting the ability to refine surfaces and allowing for the creation of: tables, desks and shelves

Costs
    -----
    Table: 160 wood + 5000gp shop fee
    Desk : 140 wood + 3000gp shop fee
    Shelf: 80 wood + 1000gp shop fee

Specialty (Furnishing)                        Known: Yes
    Syntax:            
    Details:
    Your attention to detail and trained eye have allowed for the ability to craft specialty items, allowing for the creation of: rockers, pews, swings and pedestals.

Costs
    -----
    Rocker  : 140 wood + 2500gp shop fee
    Pew     : 260 wood + 3000gp shop fee
    Swing   : 100 wood + 10000gp shop fee
    Pedestal: 60 wood + 1000gp shop fee
  • do swings swing or am I doing it wrong? (sorry if it's the wrong place)
    Torinn Chiragh, Herald of Fire says, "Good, darn it."
    Talamond Averial says, "You are the least charming siren ever."
  • Seems like there is a bug with the new swings. It's been reported.
  • Nonartefact beds please....

Also, things that are just decorative like statues/sculptures/potted plants/wind chimes/suncatchers/wall hangings/etc.....And I would ADORE an aquarium....even if it's a SoW item.  

And yes... lockable chests would be really nice :X
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Can we get Artefact beds too?
  • Hey there guys. I was in Michigan this weekend for the (un?)official IRE Midwest Meet and unfortunately did not have the access to Internet that I was promised, so I fell a bit behind with feature requests, bugs, oversights and ideas. Just wanted to let you all know that your continued input is very helpful and that I've got a sizable list of your ideas that we'll be chewing through in the coming days.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Themed furniture. Drapey things to put on furniture to fashion them. A chair with mhaldorian drapes on it.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae