TReX - Another Mudlet Healing System

Hail,

So here is the deal, before I get started I need to say that without the help of so many people both friend and foe, I would not even be here speaking to you. 

First to @Klendathu, and @Keneanung whom without this system would have been a total bust, and @Seragorn for his timely suggestions.

and special thanks also goes out to, and in no particular order ...

@Mindshell, @Jinsun, @Arcani, @Nylian, @Dalran, @Daslin, @Seftin, @Rangor, @Josoul, @Dajio, @Deladan,
@Carmain -- for Omni and the much inspiration and small bits of code I used for my own purposes.
@Vadimuses -- for svo and the much inspiration and small bits of code I used for my own purposes.
@Nemutaur -- for wsys and the much inspiration and small bits of code I used for my own purposes.
@Jhui -- for the good parts of his system I stole without permission when he so lovingly shared. ahaha. Shhh.. don't tell him.

If I missed anyone, I am sorry forever. But know its appreciated.

Now to be frank, I had a lot of good inspiration and sometimes used code from very good systems and very smart minds, but this is still 90% my system and it is a beast. Before you get to excited. It is not ready for distribution yet. I don't have a current copy ready for sharing, although I feel it is getting closer.

*****If you want an invite to the clan and have an interest in checking the system out or at least for now, speaking to me about it, let me or Klendathu know.*****

My goal for this post was to gather a general consensus from everyone to determine:  if yet 'another' healing system would be accepted and or used?

Why this system is different?

It is 98% gmcp.
It was built by me and has my stamp of approval.
Its light and simple, does not have all the bells and whistles. I made it with combat in mind the entire time.

- its designed for quick combat maneuvering and preparation

- literally, you do,  'dd' to turn on your defences, your balance free defs, and you do 'defup' for raids.  I think of it as an instant buff, if you are standing somewhere for a moment and want to make sure your fully deffed, before bouncing into the fight you just do 'defup' and it runs a check and defs up anything your missing. "good for not missing anything on ganks"
     - yes I have a clicky menu for your defs like everyone else, its just uses all serverside/gmcp/functions.
     - yes it is designed to support all classes, I just haven't done the busy work to fill out the tables. 
     - it tracks runes, and has a cool delete clickables so you can click and delete your messages.
     - it auto fills your vials from the rift, based on a counting system.. and if you stand in a room with a humgii and have vials below your decay value, you will auto hand them to the humgii, (yes artefacts are taken into account and are ignored.)
     - it has an interactive sipper, where as, I mean it automatically sets your moss, sip values/percentages based on your: sip ring level, health level, etc.. (in other words is sips you up to full health always, no need to use an 'fl board ship' command).
     - it literally cures, based on how many stacks of each type you have.. so it takes into account that you have 4 kelp affs, and they are the majority and they system will make a choice on what to cure based on the number of 'stacks' of each type you have. Which you will notice in the images below, that I show the stack counts of each type as the bottom bar in the prompt.

--A GUI is in the works for this system as well.

... and many other things....

Things it does not have yet?

- no multiclassing,
     - no cool dragon stuff yet. 
                -- I am neither of those things unfortunately.
     - ndb, and some a couple other neat functions from svo. 
     - no retardation, aeon tracking yet.

- it is easy and simple to use, very little configuration needed.
- it is fast as $%#@

I am going to include a couple of photos for people to look at. As a teaser. Nothing fancy. I am sorry if they are not the best quality, but I wanted to show what the prompt looks like.

One photo shows what your prompt looks like with Zero Afflictions, and the other shows what it looks like with a Venom Lock. 

Note: I am not a fast worker, hence why it has taken 8-10 months of work so far, and I am a perfectionist, so its a really bad combination. But if you like the system and want to help code it, I am looking for interested candidates as well.

Comments

• Awesome work man, I can't wait!
  • Damn. I remember back when I was in Ashtan, and you were cluelessly working things out! Nice to see you making solid progress :)

Let me know if you want a way to make a faster version of NDB; I can hook you up :p
  • Havn't built an NDB for it. Still working on the Core system. Your welcome to take a crack at it. I'd love to have a NDB for it. 
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Nehmrah said:
    Havn't built an NDB for it. Still working on the Core system. Your welcome to take a crack at it. I'd love to have a NDB for it. 
    Got one

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited August 2016
    My 'NDB' works by using Achaea's API; doesn't get all the exact same info as SVO's one does, but it gets all the main information needed.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Ryzeth said:
    My 'NDB' works by using Achaea's API; doesn't get all the exact same info as SVO's one does, but it gets all the main information needed.
    Sounds more advanced than mine, mine just adds names of players to a database when it encounters them, so it's knows they're people for targeting

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited August 2016
    @Ryzeth Well lets get together and see if your ndb can be incorporated into the system! Having that would make it that much better. Maybe you can @Klendathu or you and I, can get that figured out? He is going to update the doqueue hes been working on as soon as he has time.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I think the most that most people need is the highlighting and city sorting aspects. I don't personally know anybody that actually uses the whois bits.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited August 2016
    Jonathin said:
    I think the most that most people need is the highlighting and city sorting aspects. I don't personally know anybody that actually uses the whois bits.
    I mostly use mine for quickly figuring out what class people are during raids/general group combat stuff. Rather than wasting balance to individually honours people, then whois <person> to each of them and compile a list like that.

Rather, I can just do getinfo mosr dairon nehmrah klendathu - wait a second or two for it to parse all 4 APIs then report a list back for me. Optionally I can 'pinfo mosr dairon nehmrah klendathu' and, rather than reporting back to me, it'll say over PT their classes. (all of those aliases also update my database in the process)

Other than that, yep. Pretty much!

eta: Doing it that way also doesn't add anything extra to server strain like old honours spam from SVO did! And using this way, I can also do other stuff while it's parsing whereas honours'ing takes balance. So it's win-win.
  • Speaking from the perspective of someone interested in fighting with a good curing system, who does not want all the bells and whistles of other systems, I am incredibly interested in a system like this. In fact, I've pointedly avoided svof for about a dozen reasons, but chief among them is because it's confusing and too hard to get fixes with all the hidden code stuff if they're needed. So a system that's simple is incredibly appealing, and I'd much rather hold out for something like that while I continue to use nothing but server-side than try to adjust to a bulky system.

So props for working on something like this!
  • Ryzeth msg me in game with your email and I'll have you send me your scripts for the nbd, and if I can use it I'll give you credit :) I can probably use what kelndathu already has with what you have and build a nice little ndb.
  • I'm confused about the point regarding how it chooses to cure. Are there no affliction priorities at all? If so, how do you avoid getting locked super easily?
  • edited August 2016
    Antonius said:
    I'm confused about the point regarding how it chooses to cure. Are there no affliction priorities at all? If so, how do you avoid getting locked super easily?
    Agreed.

I told @Nehmrah this when we spoke about the system long ago. Curing 'pools' over specific afflictions is going to lead to you getting locked pretty easily if you don't manage it properly.

For instance: Vs Serpent if you have clumsiness+asthma+weariness (3 kelp), curare (1 broot), and impatience (1 gseal) - and you choose to cure the kelp instead of the impatience then you're taking a 33% chance to cure asthma over a 100% chance to cure impatience/focus. If the follow up attack is anorexia/slickness (bc why would it not be at that point) then you have a 33% of getting locked, or a 100% chance of focusing out and not being locked. Major difference.

For the most part, choosing to cure the 'most tempered' affliction will be a solid choice, but not always. It definitely needs to have some more management, OR, extremely easy management options client-side.

I would suggest a class-by-class design.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • @Antonius It has an internal count, for each aff type.  Which helps it make decisions like, when to tree, focus, rage, blood boil, switch prios, etc..  it uses the serverside prio queue system built in. And uses the aff counts (I get from gmcp)  to make quick decisions. To be clear, it has some pretty in-depth priority decision trees.

@Atalkez Thanks for the input, I am glad this came up. The system is primarily event based. And yes it makes adjustments based on class as well, Just as you suggested previously. It only uses the per stack tracking to make those last minute split decisions.  I wont say this system is unlockable, I would like to hear anyone say that about their system. But I will say it does a damn good job.  And to be clear just because the system shows, I have 3 kelp, and it is the majority, does not mean it will always cure kelp first. I just takes the information and makes a smart choice based upon it. :)

• Since you want feedback: Yes, I am very interested in this.
  • I am excited about all the responses,

A lot of work still needs to be done on it. But I am over the hill. I wondered if I was going to make it this far. But at this point I know its going to work out, I just have lots of work on it still and wanted a general idea. If the system works out how I feel its going, would people use it? Or would they find it too much effort to try something new?

oh and I guess the best way to explain how you as a user would use it is like this.  I raise events, like svof, and you can code your own stuff, but I also give you the freedom to code your own prio swaps and give you the tools to do so easily. You can easily make your own custom tree events and other types as well which I will also include examples of how you can easily do that if I ever get around to getting this ready to distribute for some sort of beta testing.
  • So I have another teaser for you:

This is what my current defense menu looks like.  You will notice it does not list all 'possible' affs, this is simply because my character does not have all of those abilities in those skills yet, but when I do, the list will show them. It knows this via gmcp.

https://gyazo.com/4ba4d69696fe0b8229c0b89fe16a9952his 
  • edited August 2016
    Here is a quick image just showing a little of how it looks while hunting, You don't see a prompt because I have more than 90% health, which is a personal setting of mine to reduce spam while hunting or in combat.

Against a little angler.. poor guy!

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/c1c5a004

Versus a Nuskuwen Man with blackout!

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/f4e09c93

(Oh I am glad I made this log, I just realized I need to implement a stun check on pipe refilling.)
  • For those interested.. This is the login sequence, initializing everything, it takes about 3-4 seconds to complete, the only 'alias' I entered were 'dd' to turn on defences, and 'def' to see my serverside def list, (which sets certain defences to pre-empt the system and then lastly I did 'defs' to check my system def settings, to make sure all looked good. and that took all of about 3-5 seconds.

** This is without Gags **

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/12197212
  • The length of the development cycle is always the painful part. It's come a long way in the time you've been working on it though, definitely eager to see its fruition knowing what's gone into it. I'll keep chatting when I see you. :)
  • Your comment made me laugh, Mindshell.

I'm sure Nehmrah has put a massive amount of time into this, but the speed at which he's tweaking things and showing examples of stuff is mind boggling to me personally, because it would take me 100 times as long to do something 25% as useful.

• Planning what to do before doing it, goes a long way when it comes to coding things. Doing things as you go quite often ends up with a lot of bugs, or compatibility issues with other parts of your scripts along the way.

GUIs were like rocket science to me when I first started; now I can do an easily functional one in about an hour or two. Maybe longer if I want to add graphics and stuff to the mix... Not to the level Zulah does it, but good enough anyway. I built a system twice; one in Aetolia, one in Imperian... Never doing that again.

• Cynlael said:
    Planning what to do before doing it, goes a long way when it comes to coding things. Doing things as you go quite often ends up with a lot of bugs, or compatibility issues with other parts of your scripts along the way.

Pretty much this. Unless it's something simple (or something very similar to something I've done before, even if that thing is complex), I'll generally spend at least a few days thinking about something before I commit. First part is identifying the feature set without thinking about code at all; this is a problem I see a lot of people making - they get bogged down in how to code something before they even know what they want it to do. Second part is then, once you know everything you need it to do, identifying the best way to structure the code to achieve all of it. That process usually means I can identify most of the issues and have a pretty clear idea of what the code is going to look like before I start doing any typing.

I'm also a huge fan of rewriting older code first if I'm making changes, since at that point I know exactly what I want it to do and can usually make it a lot cleaner (which reduces the opportunity to introduce bugs when I make changes and makes it easier to add functionality later on).

• Ok so, I need to know. The system could be ready at the end of this week, and posted for people to use, but It wont have aeon/retardation or multiclass or dragon form/switch.

Who wants to wait for it, might be another month maybe two? Depending who I can get to help me. And who wants to start using right away and doesnt care about the other stuff?
  • Ok so I lied, got multiclass and dragonform change working last night.. :P
  • edited September 2016
    Antonius said:
    Cynlael said:
    Planning what to do before doing it, goes a long way when it comes to coding things. Doing things as you go quite often ends up with a lot of bugs, or compatibility issues with other parts of your scripts along the way.

Pretty much this. Unless it's something simple (or something very similar to something I've done before, even if that thing is complex), I'll generally spend at least a few days thinking about something before I commit. First part is identifying the feature set without thinking about code at all; this is a problem I see a lot of people making - they get bogged down in how to code something before they even know what they want it to do. Second part is then, once you know everything you need it to do, identifying the best way to structure the code to achieve all of it. That process usually means I can identify most of the issues and have a pretty clear idea of what the code is going to look like before I start doing any typing.

I'm also a huge fan of rewriting older code first if I'm making changes, since at that point I know exactly what I want it to do and can usually make it a lot cleaner (which reduces the opportunity to introduce bugs when I make changes and makes it easier to add functionality later on).

@Antonius
    @Cynlael
    @Cooper  - I've been working on this silently for the last year, my first commit to git was in January 2016, I started a few months prior to. I built my foundation first, so alot of this is coming together now much more swiftly. like what @Mindshell said: The development process is the longest most painful part :P

First, I did not plan at all.  I just jumped in. I had to. I was like.. If i try to transition from SVO it will never happen. I need a blank slate or I will never accomplish this. So for 3 months I was painfully sitting in Ashtan just coding and testing and building a foundation, so I could feel safe enough to leave the damn city just to go hunting. :expressionless: 

Second without Keneanung introducing me to the mudlet home directory and dofile() I never would have even been able to create this. I basically begged him to teach me how he coded his basher. He reluctantly gave in. I love the guy.

Third without Klendathu coming in and basically rewritting what Keneanung showed me to be a modular package and system, which is what I was trying to accomplish, and I was at the time blundering through, I would not even have the gumption to say the system would still be working as beautifully as it is. So I had a learning curve in building this and I am still learning, So will this system be perfect ? No? Its got bugs galore. But she's still a beauty. :)

Also this is not just my system. I coded/re-coded 95% of it myself and yes I put a year of work into this system, but some Items I straight borked. Liked Vadi's inker.  Just changed some namespaces around, it didn't need a lot to make that work.  And without the advice and help from just about everyone I have bothered the shit out of for the last year. :P

But alot of it, I took ideas from what others had done in third party clients and in wsys and basically rewrote how I wanted to based on those sources. I took from everyone. This system is a Borg.  Everyone of you had a hand in it. I just did the heavy lifting. :P
  • If you want to implement my magi scripts into your system, i'll gladly give you access to the files so you can mess around with whatever you want, gut it, and make it a uniquely trex thing. Consider it my contribution to a fantastic project