Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

What Are Apostates' Most Important Spells And Gear In Combat?

IrvandaIrvanda Posts: 31Member
The title of this thread is self explainatory. I also am interested in strategies vs other combatants.   Though I am new here, I have noticed how important it is to be prepared against others. What are the weakness and strengths of this class and what's the most difficult class for apostates to defeat? Feedback is much appreciated. 

Comments

  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,259Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2014
    Strengths:

    Access to <50% mana insta kill (catharsis)
    Access to no-prep interruptible insta kill (daegger eliminate)
    Access to 4 crippled limbs insta kill (vivisect)
    Fast affliction rate w/o artefacts (deadeyes/daegger hunt)
    Numbness (demon apathy - 10s buffer where you take no damage but receive the total of all the damage you ignored after the 10s duration is over -40%, very strong against damage classes)
    Blackwind (near-instant stealth/phase mobility used for infiltration past guards and escape, very, very strong ability)
    Passive curing (demon syphon)
    Refuge escape ability (demon refuge)
    Soulspears (LoS writhe + high damage nuke gathered from corpses)
    Strong room hindrance (gravehands)

    Weaknesses:
    No innate line-of-sight beyond soulspears
    No damage burst (decay is strong but has long eq time)
    Low mobility (no instant travel spells/dash)
    Momentum classes naturally struggle against other high-mobility foes when hindrance is unsuccessful
    Reliant on life essence which rapidly depletes without external replenishment during extended raiding/skirmishing scenarios
    Difficult/impossible to achieve vivisect kills solo without transcendent riding or complex tactics

    There's a lot more I could list, but generally speaking, Apostates are a momentum-oriented class centered around locking their foes with venom+deadeyes combinations and killing with eliminate, or focusing around forcing the opponent to expend large amounts of mana so that they fall beneath 50% mana, allowing for instant death via catharsis. They have strong room hindrance via gravehands but suffer greatly versus classes that can avoid it readily (Serpent, Blademaster, anyone with instant travel) or possesses any form of passive curing (Magi, other Apostates, Groves classes with Panacea, Bards) for some strategies. Overall, they're an extremely strong and very versatile class and are arguably the strongest unartied class for what they can do simply with tri-trans, but are disadvantaged during highly mobile skirmishes and other fights which may require large damage output over a short period of time.

    An Apostate with transcendent riding, envenom in Weaponry and tri-trans class skills is set up to prepare for 3 instant kills - mana drain to catharsis, affliction locking into eliminate, and crippling 4 limbs into vivisects. Mana drain is one of the easiest kills to obtain on unskilled opponents or against classes which naturally use large amounts of mana when fighting (other caster classes).

    They're good, simply put. Highly recommend playing one if you're interested in combat and want a varied class with a low skill-floor and a high skill ceiling. See Xer for an example of a high-tier combatant which does exceptionally well with the class and freely teaches people in his House how to do the same.

    Oh, right. As far as gear goes, they need a good set of armour and a cavalry shield/Shield of Absorption. That's it. Their primary weapons (daegger and soulspears) are summoned from abilities and require no setup (except soulspears which require a corpse of an enemy greater than level 30).

    GoggoBishan
  • AchillesAchilles Los AngelesPosts: 2,333Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Good info above.  Daeir left out Vengeance (vengeance bomb a viable tactic on large groups) and beckon.  Soulcage is a no-xp loss starburst, putrefaction also mitigates cutting and blunt damage.  

    On top of that, there are only a handful of active apostates which means most people are pretty ignorant of what apostates can do and how to defend certain setups (as opposed to knights, monks which have pretty standard setups that you can easily get practice to).  
    image
  • JovoloJovolo EnglandPosts: 3,120Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Apostate definitely not arguably the strongest unartied class with deadeyes being seriously nerfed due to loss of Rajamala speed, and it's versatile but lacks any truly efficient way to achieve any of its instant kills that aren't easily prevented. Shield stops catharsis, vivisect is only possible post-lock or with shatter, and eliminate is just a channeled instant kill like most others. 

    Hunt is stopped by Shield, and Nightmare has specific class counters and lacks transparency in terms of what it randomly afflicts the target with. Any class with access to transfix (Sylvan, Magi, Sentinel) can stop Apostate in its tracks - the same is said of anyone with a Ring of Flying (An artifact). It's an absolute beast in group combat due to this aforementioned versatility, but requires a big lesson investment for full access to offensive capability. It lacks oomph in 1v1 (I don't recall anyone with defensive know-how being in any serious trouble against an Apostate, having been an Apostate and having fought Sabiru/Xer/Carmain as well as seeing a lot of their duels), and yes, Xer as an active Apostate will attest to this.

    Also unfortunately one of the more lesson costly, if not the most, in the whole game.

    I'm only addressing Daeir's post though. He did list the most important "spells" and gear, though! So you got your answer in that aspect, OP.
    AlcinaeDaeir
  • IrvandaIrvanda Posts: 31Member
    Thanks for the input, guys.. I will keep that in mind. I'll level up for more lessons and gather gear and vials as well. I will have to look up Xer. I've already seen him online. Although I can pvp solo, group pvp has always been more my style in other games that I've played.
  • XithXith Posts: 2,601Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    tl;dr - Deadeyes and daeggers.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
    Kuy
  • CahinCahin Posts: 1,246Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Achilles said:
    Good info above.  Daeir left out Vengeance (vengeance bomb a viable tactic on large groups) and beckon.  Soulcage is a no-xp loss starburst, putrefaction also mitigates cutting and blunt damage.  

    On top of that, there are only a handful of active apostates which means most people are pretty ignorant of what apostates can do and how to defend certain setups (as opposed to knights, monks which have pretty standard setups that you can easily get practice to).  

    Correct me if I'm wrong but Vengeance bomb is no longer possible with starburst change.


    rip v-bomb


  • JhuiJhui Posts: 1,954Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Cahin said:
    Achilles said:
    Good info above.  Daeir left out Vengeance (vengeance bomb a viable tactic on large groups) and beckon.  Soulcage is a no-xp loss starburst, putrefaction also mitigates cutting and blunt damage.  

    On top of that, there are only a handful of active apostates which means most people are pretty ignorant of what apostates can do and how to defend certain setups (as opposed to knights, monks which have pretty standard setups that you can easily get practice to).  

    Correct me if I'm wrong but Vengeance bomb is no longer possible with starburst change.


    rip v-bomb

    just need more necros than 1.  Tirac and Carmain been coddling you and doing it solo all these years, imagine a few more necros in the room!

    image
  • MishgulMishgul ROTHERHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMPosts: 5,305Member @@ - Legendary Achaean

    vbomb doesn't trigger vbomb :( 

    -

    One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

    As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • JhuiJhui Posts: 1,954Member @@ - Legendary Achaean

    oh. gross

    image
  • XerXer LangleyPosts: 804Member

    Lol, you could never have more than one necromancers doing v-bombs, ever except maybe at the very beginning. And there's no real way to trigger it yourself off deliverance or something silly like that since putting Vengeance up itself requires equilibrium.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • JhuiJhui Posts: 1,954Member @@ - Legendary Achaean

    never say never! could have 4-5 people blackwind with 100 health and human/arc in a line after each vengeance goes off. 

    Too complicated though, so ya guess v-bomb days are over unless it's coupled with other room attacks.

    image
  • JovoloJovolo EnglandPosts: 3,120Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Why would it be bad to allow vengeance to trigger vengeance? Not that anyone has said that, but it would be great to hear any arguments for it. Otherwise it sounds like it's worth classleading the ability to be more useful reflecting its downgrade with the starburst change.

  • MishgulMishgul ROTHERHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMPosts: 5,305Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    we should claasslead for a more fun ability like necrowark or something that gives aeon or entangle

    -

    One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

    As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • XerXer LangleyPosts: 804Member
    edited July 2014

    Well, I don't mean -never- haha. I just mean that if you have enough necros to do that, it's generally more efficient to do other things, like Sap/Cath, locking, meteor/spear, etc. >.>

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • CahinCahin Posts: 1,246Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jhui said:
    Cahin said:
    Achilles said:
    Good info above.  Daeir left out Vengeance (vengeance bomb a viable tactic on large groups) and beckon.  Soulcage is a no-xp loss starburst, putrefaction also mitigates cutting and blunt damage.  

    On top of that, there are only a handful of active apostates which means most people are pretty ignorant of what apostates can do and how to defend certain setups (as opposed to knights, monks which have pretty standard setups that you can easily get practice to).  

    Correct me if I'm wrong but Vengeance bomb is no longer possible with starburst change.


    rip v-bomb

    just need more necros than 1.  Tirac and Carmain been coddling you and doing it solo all these years, imagine a few more necros in the room!

    I don't see how what Tirac, Carmain, and I do on our own free time is relevant in this situation.


    Jhui
  • VanVan Posts: 50Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited July 2014

    Demon beckon from one room inside Mhaldor on Shallamese raids *drool*.  I killed more people with my city's totems and guards than I ever will solo.  I'm a longtime Apostate, been inactive for years.  Hopefully I can make a transition back into combat at some point.  I love Apostate.  It's hard to get kills on an experienced opponents, but it's fun to use everything you have at your disposal.

  • VanVan Posts: 50Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished

    I have to add, group leech/catharsis was one of the greatest tactics of all TIME.  I assume it's illegal now, but basically you'd have a group trigger where one would tell 5 others LEECH.  5 triggers would set off 5 leeches and then the 6th would catharsis.  Instant death.  I'm sure that enraged many people.  Good times.

    Valaria
Sign In to Comment.