Seamonstering changes?

Comments

• It doesn't take much meta knowledge to see one activity is vastly better at gaining gold. Even the most adamant RP-Only player will have to interact with gold-generation at some point or another. The rate of generation here was an order of magnitude more than the benchmark, every single person you can credit naivete to should have had the reaction 'this is more profitable than anything I have ever done'.

Not sure why people are so defensive though, the admin saw it was a problem and fixed the issue. They couldn't leave the gold because the gold was the problem, so all anyone lost currently is time.
  • Keorin said:
    I think you're severely underestimating the amount of meta knowledge that a player who isn't keeping up with forums/discord/other OOC sources is going to get. I played this game for years with no knowledge of average gold income or intended profitability of different activities, and I've only learned that by reading the forums a bit much in the years since.

It's one thing to be able to work out whether what you're doing is unusually profitable (though even that depends on the number of ships and number of people on each ship). But knowing that what you're doing is -wrong-, that it's so profitable that it's bad for the game or likely a bug, even though the mechanics are fundamentally the same as anywhere else, is another matter entirely.

Most people work with the reasonable assumption that activities are designed to work as intended, and that once mechanics have been around for over a year they're probably not bugged. Presuming that every player has the same knowledge as you do is pretty silly.
    I don't agree with this. You don't need any kind of meta knowledge to figure out if something is far more profitable than bashing or questing, which are the 'main' methods for most individual players. I have no idea what the gold cap for bashing even is, as I've never reached it. But I do know that everything that's vastly above that method of income usually has some kind of limitation, or it's probably sketchy. The most profitable activity that brings gold INTO the economy I can think of is voyages, but those have a hard cooldown of once per RL day, and even doing all of them won't earn you the amount earned with seamonstering like that.

I think the moment something earns you ten times or more the amount of gold bashing can make you in the same amount of time, with either no cooldown or a cooldown you can bypass, you absolutely should probably stop and think, or use ISSUE ME to ask. Especially if you are trying a new method that hasn't been done before.

In the end, nobody was even punished, it seems like, and I think that's fine. But I absolutely don't agree that you need some kind of meta knowledge to know "Hey, this is vastly more profitable than anything else I could do, with little to no risk!". 
  • So, I'm like 2 pages late to this party but I felt the need to say it.

Totally agree that the rewards for sailing things need to be relatively high to compensate for costs and penalties.

Salvage, tokens, stores (possibly crew replacement, yikes) are expensive. Ammo is expensive, ships are expensive (even more so now that wood is worth double it's weight in gold and shipfitting is a thing for weapons). Splitting the gold with the 2-3 other guys on your ship minimizes seamonster returns. Big big investments, big big losses..... So it makes sense that the profits should be big too yeah?

On the other hand, this crap about 'the pirates should have stopped us if there was that much gold on the line' is a bit irritating. You think the pirates get a cut of 'un-harvested seamonsters' or something stupid like that? Here's how it goes....

Somebody says 'yo there's like 5 galleys out grouped and mass producing seamonster parts, do we have enough people to take em down?'.

Then everybody sits there and thinks 'what do I get for attempting to sink 5 galleys?' Best case scenario, some fun, couple deathsights with your name on them, and a bunch of angry people and enemy statuses. Worst case? You get sunk, have to eat those big big seafaring costs, and that's it. At no point during that is there profit for me to do it.

I'm not here to police how much gold you make. You, and the admins, do that. Looks like they did! Now if somebody wants to start paying me to be the fuckin port authority, or a fish and game warden, then I'll go out and deal with it. But for now, unless I'm doing it for fun, it doesn't benefit me to go stop you making gold.

But wow I wish I could have made ~200 -extra- credits over the last couple of weeks. That sounds great.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Pom now officially achaean coast guard
  • Archaeon said:
    Pom now officially achaean coast guard
    Ironically..  even in Achaea, STILL not a member of the military. 

• To be coasties, PoM would have to be able to walk back to shore if they sink.
  • I have been playing for over a decade and have no idea what the gold cap amount is.
  • Paux said:
    I have been playing for over a decade and have no idea what the gold cap amount is.
    Well then, prepare to be shrubbed.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Paux said:
    I have been playing for over a decade and have no idea what the gold cap amount is.

Don't feel bad, homie. I heard it's like 250k or some shit like that. Even after 20 years, I still haven't come close in a single sitting.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I don't hunt some of the higher gold generating areas that are open PK, but it's taken me around 3000cr worth of Arties to start reliably hitting the gold cap per day. Sped up at times by larger groups doing the Foray's, but personally think that amount of gold generation is fine.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Paux said:

Jonathin said:
    Paux said:

Don't feel bad, homie. I heard it's like 250k or some shit like that. Even after 20 years, I still haven't come close in a single sitting.

Yep.  I don't give a fark what the cap is because I just do me and not worry about it.   I know it's under a milli though, so if I start reliably hitting 1,000,000gp per day, some shit is up.

• Cooper said:
    For those that don't know, here is approximately what you need to have to generate 100k gold per hour as a serpent.
    Minor clarification: 100k gold per hour, for one hour a day.  Less the second hour.  Significantly less the third hour.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    All ship-rrlated prices need to go the fuck down for one. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Serious question: why the heck didn't they just drop the gold gain on level four monstering areas? Or change the mechanics solely for those areas? Or just stuck a cap on it like they did with hunting?

I'm not a sailor, I may well be missing something, but it sounds like this was a mechanic that was well established and worked just fine in most instances but went too far when mixed with a dramatic increase to rewards in the hardest places.Was there a reason that the whole mechanic needed to be tossed, dramatically changing seamonstering writ large, instead of just changing the thing that was a problem?
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    That's kind of where I'm dumbfounded is that the solution isn't remotely commiserate to the problem. 

@Iaxus I have complained about seafaring motivations and risk for years and years and years 
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Also to everyone saying "well it takes 10000 credits to make 100k an hour hunting." Cool story? No one is sailors should make a ton more than you. As a dragon I can pull about 50k with lvl 1 arties and sip ring with minimal effort. Currently there's like what 6-7 pools? They'd already nerfed lvl 2s to about 60ish k per hour assuming you sail alone with single spawns. Plus sailing has been built to encourage group sailing. Imagine spending 10million +gold on a ship to hunt 60k an hour and still having the risk of 1. Not being able to hunt 2. Being sank to the tune of 50-100k setting you back hours with yearly gold costs of about 30k a year -plus- you're out the time it take you to sail to each of the handful of pools and see if you can be the one person lucky enough to sail it. They're apples and oranges 
  • I agree, ship sinking is also a bad mechanic and needs changed. Nothing else punishes you so hard for trying to participate.

You could start by not organizing a group of people that love to sink other ships.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Cooper said:
    I agree, ship sinking is also a bad mechanic and needs changed. Nothing else punishes you so hard for trying to participate.

You could start by not organizing a group of people that love to sink other ships.
    You're right the solution to a mechanic having negative rewards is to nuke a high clan and a conflict avenue instead of just fixing the overly punitive aspects of the mechanic. My bad lemme just get on that. 
  • Jinsun said:
    Cooper said:
    I agree, ship sinking is also a bad mechanic and needs changed. Nothing else punishes you so hard for trying to participate.

You're right the solution to a mechanic having negative rewards is to nuke a high clan and a conflict avenue instead of just fixing the overly punitive aspects of the mechanic. My bad lemme just get on that. 
    No take backs
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Thaisen said:
    Jinsun said:
    Cooper said:

No take backs
    Lol I actually tried once to shut it down and the admin wouldn't respond, I'm glad they didn't as ive had so many fond memories since 
  • Jinsun said:
    Thaisen said:
    Jinsun said:
    Cooper said:

No take backs
    Lol I actually tried once to shut it down and the admin wouldn't respond, I'm glad they didn't as ive had so many fond memories since 
    don't give up on my dreams
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Thaisen said:
    Jinsun said:
    Thaisen said:
    Jinsun said:
    Cooper said:

No take backs
    don't give up on my dreams
    Join us bby
  • edited July 2020
    I think this just boils down to a difference of philosophy. Call me entitled or whatever, I did not sign-up to beta test a game. I thought I was playing finished product. We used a mechanic that had been the way it is for over a year. Was the gold good? Yes. Was it more than the gold cap? Yes. Do I care it was more than the gold cap? No. Do I care that an 'average' player has to sink more credits to do that? No. I do not play a game to be 'average.'

We found a way to make more than the average player. It should be tuned and move on. The gold influx was so little that giving us a speeding ticket for it was inane. This is the first game I have ever been given a not-a-punishment for being to good at it. 

I do not think it should be up to the players to police the economy. I do not think it should be up to the pirates to make seafaring risky. And I think, especially with the seamonstering change, the cost vs reward of seafaring is just not worth it.
  • Yikes.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.