What are you reading?

Comments

• EpiphanyEpiphany Colorado Springs
    I love Terry Pratchett, and I hope he manages to keep his Alzheimers at bay for a while longer. 
  • edited February 2014
    The Long Earth was pretty good. The characters are fairly solid, and, unlike in most series format novels, I got the feeling that I got to know them better as the series went on, as opposed to just reading about things that happen to them in the next book (which is what most multi-book stories end up feeling like, you get to know all about them in the first, and then it's just their adventures, which isn't bad, but I'm finnicky). I also love that I get a good feel of what ideas came from which author, having read both of them pretty extensively :)
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Currently reading Peter V. Brett's third book in the Demon Saga, The Daylight War. Pretty interesting concept thus far, but the story can be a bit hard to follow if you haven't read the first few books. The mix of fighting, politicizing and the depth of relationships that gets covered in the book is well balanced, I would say. I can't put down the book and it's leeching into my Achaea time. :C

If you might want to pick it up, his first book is called The Warded Man (US title apparently) or The Painted Man UK title).
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• You guys need to pick up Steven Brust's series of Vlad Taltos novels. It's masterfully written: a rich, detailed world with intrigue, mystery and just the right amount of wit to keep it saucy. I also recommend his Phoenix Guard novels (set many many centuries before the Vlad novels) which are a tribute to Alexander Dumas, written in nearly the same style. His books really are some of the best I've read in the fantasy market.
  • At the moment it's Chaucer's 'The Canterbury Tales' for me. I've been enamoured by English poetry ever since I read Tennyson's In Memoriam, about half a year ago, and now I prefer it over any poetry in my native tongue (which is Dutch). When I have lots of time I usually end up reading three or four books at the same time, as is currently the case since I'm switching between The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, and The Canterbury Tales.
    Tolkien is definitely my favourite author and I recommend Roverandom, Leaf by Niggle, and Smith of Wootton Major to everyone and any who say that they're silly children's stories should not be surprised when they're turned crispy by wyvern fire! :-\"
  • edited February 2014
    Edit: (Contains Spoilers)

My daughter persuaded me to buy the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. I flew through Divergent in no time and loved it. The second book, Insurgent, wasn't nearly as engaging. Allegiant was the last book, and was one of the worst books I've ever read. It wasn't necessarily because she killed off the main character (who was the narrator) - the author totally destroyed the plot line. The main characters were unrecognizable in this last book of the series, and the explanations she gave for the conflict were so shoddily written that they were disappointing. Nothing made sense. By the time I reached the last few chapters of the book, I didn't care what happened to the characters.

It was almost like someone else wrote this book. 

Heh, now I need to find another -good- series to help recover from this one!

• So I am currently reading Words of Radiance, the second book in the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. It was only released for sale (in the UK, not sure about elsewhere) yesterday, and I'm having to force myself to take breaks so I don't end up reading the entire thing in one sitting and neglecting to eat and such.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    The Hobbit. I said I would reread it after the first movie. Never did. Saw part two and feel I really should reread it before part three.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Antonius said:

So I am currently reading Words of Radiance, the second book in the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. It was only released for sale (in the UK, not sure about elsewhere) yesterday, and I'm having to force myself to take breaks so I don't end up reading the entire thing in one sitting and neglecting to eat and such.

I'm waiting for mine to ship from Book Depository. I can't wait. :( In order to take my mind off the wait, I'm reading 'The Rithmatist' by Brandon Sanderson as well! I like the illustrations.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    There's a new book by Brandon Sanderson? D: I WANT
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Antonius said:
    So I am currently reading Words of Radiance, the second book in the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. It was only released for sale (in the UK, not sure about elsewhere) yesterday, and I'm having to force myself to take breaks so I don't end up reading the entire thing in one sitting and neglecting to eat and such.
    I finally finished that book...maybe now I can stop going to sleep when the sun rises. x.x
  • @Ruth: I bought the ebook version so I wouldn't have to wait on delivery. Unfortunately it does mean that the sketches and stuff inside the book aren't quite as clear.
  • Creature From Jeckyll Island by G. Edward Griffin

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Are Brandon Sanderson's books as well written as Memory of Light?

And are any fantasy with magic etc?

i'm a rebel

• Currently reading Ordinary Resurrections: Children in the Years of Hope, by Jonathan Kozol, for one of my grad school classes (Childhood Adversity). I'm about a third of the way through, and am enjoying it much more than I expected to. Kozol spent a number of years getting to know children (and their families/communities) in the South Bronx, and the book is a casual, thoughtful, nicely constructed collection of his experiences. Looking forward to reading the rest of it this week.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2014
    Night by Elie Wiesel and A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry for about the fiftieth time each (usef the texts in two of my courses). I'm really looking forward to the release of Haunted Women of the Appalachians though. Can't wait to read this cool new title by a good friend!
  • Bluef said:
    Night by Elie Wiesel and A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry for about the fiftieth time each (usef the texts in two of my courses). I'm really looking forward to the release of Haunted Women of the Appalachians though. Can't wait to read this cool new title by a good friend!
    I've heard good things about the book you're waiting for
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Currently reading The Bards of Bone Plain. If there's something I love about this book, is the sheer awesome writing. Some people will perhaps find it overly flowery or maybe even purple, but I swear it just pulls me in. Not to mention it is very much fitting in with the idea of bards and music and everything else. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Bluef said:
    That was one of our texts in english class for year 12, back in 2002.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Anyone have suggestions for great graphic novels? Looking for things that aren't just 125 pages long, prefer buying the big ones that are 300+ pages to get all the story in one book. Haven't really read comics for about 10 years, figure these are the best way to catch up one some things.
  • Found a 1920's copy of The Decameron about a month ago that finally made its way to the top of my reading stack. I don't know if its the contents or the book itself that has me more excited to re-read this.
    :x
  • edited March 2014
    Naevia said:
    Found a 1920's copy of The Decameron about a month ago that finally made its way to the top of my reading stack. I don't know if its the contents or the book itself that has me more excited to re-read this.
    :x
    One of the reasons The Picture of Dorian Gray is my favorite book is undoubtedly because I had a very old copy (1900's, definitely, probably a second or third edition, and not amended, it's probably my one big treasure) of it that was given to me by my grandma (first time I'd read it, too). That kind of thing matters!
  • The Game of Thrones series. And yes I read it before the TV show, but I think the series is pretty awesome too. Anxiously awaiting the next book.
  • edited March 2014
    Being old and spreading myself out between Dante's Divine Comedy (only up to Purgatorio), Voltaire's Candide and finishing off some old Molière plays I'm still struggling with because it's in olde French. Then there's theSpice & Wolf manga by Hasekura/Ayekura, Vagabond manga by Takehiko Inoue, Nana by Ai Yazawa too...
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• I just reread The Tommyknockers from my matriarch's late female sibling(she was an avid collector of books, and we were fortunate to be left a part of her collection). 

Good read.

• Spent 2 hours in Barnes and Noble tonight with a pile of books in front of me. I read 3-4 chapters of each of these and still couldn't decide which one to buy (I guess we're going back tomorrow so I can finalize a purchase!):

The Corpse Exhibition - Short stories on the Gulf conflicts (Iran/Iraq and Gulf Wars) told from the perspective of an Iraqi. 

With or Without You - A memoir about growing up in working class family in the 90's. It's a little more than that as the mother/family has issues. Sort of akin to The Glass Castle. 

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (novel) - It's 1987 and young June's favorite uncle just died of AIDs. She meets a man at his funeral (who I'm guessing was his lover?) and..that's as far as I've gotten.

I still don't know which one I want to take home with me. It's so hard to choose! :((

• Bluef said:
    Spent 2 hours in Barnes and Noble tonight with a pile of books in front of me. I read 3-4 chapters of each of these and still couldn't decide which one to buy (I guess we're going back tomorrow so I can finalize a purchase!):

The Corpse Exhibition - Short stories on the Gulf conflicts (Iran/Iraq and Gulf Wars) told from the perspective of an Iraqi. 

With or Without You - A memoir about growing up in working class family in the 90's. It's a little more than that as the mother/family has issues. Sort of akin to The Glass Castle. 

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (novel) - It's 1987 and young June's favorite uncle just died of AIDs. She meets a man at his funeral (who I'm guessing was his lover?) and..that's as far as I've gotten.

I still don't know which one I want to take home with me. It's so hard to choose! :((

All of them! There, problem solved!
    :P
  • The Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth, and The Collector of Dying Breaths.
  • Is the Discworld series worth a read?