What are you reading?

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited January 2016
    Started reading Here Be Dragons, by Sharon Kay Penman. I have to say, as far as historical novels go, this one is pretty nice and very well written. My only annoyance is how often it jumps from place to place.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• So, after finishing Worm for the 3rd time I pretty much have to mention it here.

Its a web serial (so if that's not your thing, definitely avoid; 1.6m words of a format you're not happy with will destroy your soul), but the characters/setting/spin on the genre are pretty outstanding, particularly for a first authored work. It is unquestionably pretty dark though, so if you're not someone who likes your dark fantasy, definitely avoid.

• Wiseblood by Flannery O'Connor. I really like it.
  • MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    I have a never ending queue of books (mostly mysteries) waiting to be read. The next few are: A Sudden Light by Garth Stein (for book club), Lisa Scottaline's Don't Go, The Ballad of Frankie Silver by Sharyn McCrumb, and Providence Rag by Bruce DeSilva.
    So, finished reading The Song of Achilles. It was a nice little book, mostly exploring the relationship between Patroclus and Achilles with a decidedly romantic flair. It felt, in some ways, a bit fanfic-icy, but it was nonetheless an enjoyable read.

Now starting The Silence of Medair.

• edited April 2016
    I'm reading Clive Barker's "Weaveworld" again. I read it the first time when I was 14 and I've been reading it at least once every couple years since. Dark, twisted fantasy, if you're into that kind of thing.
  • The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker.

Had this one for awhile but never managed to get into it. Story is magnificently grand though.
  • Ehene said:
    I'm in the middle of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. v good
    Oh I'm reading Neil Gaimon and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. So far it's really hilarious.

• Children who kill, Profiles of pre-teen and teenage killers

Light reading, nice and cheerful. 

Anyone has any good sci-fi suggestions? Preferably something in the vein of EVE, or Warhammer, or something like that. I don't know. I usually keep to fantasy but I've been in a mood for something different as of late.

• ancillary justice
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Shirszae said:
    Anyone has any good sci-fi suggestions? Preferably something in the vein of EVE, or Warhammer, or something like that. I don't know. I usually keep to fantasy but I've been in a mood for something different as of late.
    Epic/Saga/Edda is such a good trilogy. 
    Huh. Neat.
    Ahmet said:
    Shirszae said:
    Epic/Saga/Edda is such a good trilogy. 
    Though the first one walks a fine line between fantasy and sci-fi, the next ones are more clear-cut sci-fi (ish?).

Tad Williams' Otherland series is also pretty good, if a little strange.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I've been reading all of the Drizz't books from R.A Salvatore for the past few months. Decided to take a break and read that one web serial Makarios mentioned. Not usually into the superhero thing but I gotta say, no regrets! Also, free is good. More money for beer and Achaea.
    edited May 2016
    So I finished reading Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword and enjoyed them both (thanks, @Aegoth!), though the first more than the second. Currently reading Ancillary Mercy along with Warship (From the Black Fleet Trilogy).

@Ahmet I did check the trilogy you mentioned, but the blurb from the first book sort of did not inspire me much... 

Any other good Sci-Fi recommendations?

Shirszae said:
    So I finished reading Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword and enjoyed them both (thanks, @Aegoth!), though the first more than the second. Currently reading Ancillary Mercy along with Warship (From the Black Fleet Trilogy).

@Ahmet I did check the trilogy you mentioned, but the blurb from the first book sort of did not inspire me much... 

You don't like a full-immersion type video game where people feel as if they're in the game, a game that's rigged in favour of the government, and where self-aware AI vampires can hypnotise people into dying IRL? What kind of person are you... :bleep_bloop:
    Huh. Neat.
  • Shirszae said:

Read the Foundation books by Isaac Asimov, if you haven't! The first one has a vastly different format from the consequent ones, and I think the change in narrative is a good way to keep things interesting.

Have you read some of the more classic Sci-Fi? Childhood's end, the Sentinel, etc. by Arthur C. Clarke, for instance? Really good reads, and then you can go watch the movies/tv shows :open_mouth:

The Hainish cycle by Ursula Leguin were also very absorbing. The Left Hand of Darkness and the Dispossessed are on any nerd's must-list, I think, and the short stories she's written are really, really great. In general, reading Ursula Leguin has always turned out rewarding (Earthsea books are so, so, so imaginative and evocative!).
  • I've almost finished what I set out to do almost 3 years ago, which was to read the Discworld series from beginning to end. 

What a life-changing literary experience!
    I have 150 Lusternian credits that I'll trade over for Achaean ones. Let me know if you're interested!
  • PainePaine Prime Material
    Finally finished Their eyes Were Watching God. Listened to it on audiobook, narrated by Ruby Dee. I had tried to read it in the past but it took a lot of effort to get through the first pages because of the dialogue and I was not able to give it the time it required. The audiobook was a lot easier, though. :) Hopefully the library has another audiobook worth listening to. Maybe I need to stop being so picky?

• Kingdom of Fear. Hunter S. Thompson. So good.
    Just started reading Silver on the Road. So far its decently interesting. Well written, if suffering from a rather agonizingly slow pace.

• Man in the high castle and Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas books

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Infernal Devices by K W Jeter. Ostensibly steampunk but IMO more like Lovecraftian derring-do in Victorian London. I want to like it because of the previous sentence, and it's not unreadable, but the prose is aggressively florid and the main character is such a twerp.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    I just finished "Les enquêtes de Setna", a series of four books by Christian Jacq. If you like ancient Egypt, you should check out this writer.
  • Listening to the Tryst Moon Saga by Brian K Fuller at present.

It's almost cringeworthy. The book switches between really good plot/story line/character relations, to really childish/hollow relations/poor story line, and making characters instantly change their opinions of each other without offering any real reason as to why.

The characters seem to flit with no real sense of purpose between feelings, as well as not showing any rationale as to why they act a certain way to something that they are sworn to destroy, which is annoying, as well as having overly descriptive language for things that should be simple and simplicity of things you would consider to require more description.

All in all its not terrible, but not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination. I would say its a good story to listen to if you're working on other projects, ie at work and can drift in/out of concentration - you wont miss much.
  • I had my once-in-a-while Gabriel Garcia Marquez craving, so I re-read Chronicle of a Death Foretold, The General in His Labyrinth, and Of Love and Other Demons recently (in Spanish, of course!). I always feel like such a rube after reading anything he's written :/
    Anedhel said:
    I had my once-in-a-while Gabriel Garcia Marquez craving, so I re-read Chronicle of a Death Foretold, The General in His Labyrinth, and Of Love and Other Demons recently (in Spanish, of course!). I always feel like such a rube after reading anything he's written :/
    No One Hundred Years of Solitude? For shame.

• At the risk of sparking rage all over the internet, I like other works of his better :(