Football (Real Football)

edited August 2016 in The Universal Membrane
So after the derail from Szanthax's 'le phones' thread I figured we probably could do with a football thread.

So feel free to abuse each other in the name of blinkered loyalty here.

For my own part : I, being Irish, follow the English premier league :) Specifically Manchester United.

In order to get some discussion rolling I'll throw out my top 4 predictions for this season

1st - Man City
2nd - Man Utd
3rd - Chelski
4th - L'arse

Oh : feel free to talk other leagues too, of course.

He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

Comments

• Damn it @Aegoth

• Bundesliga here, since I'm from Germany. Have been a stadium visitor since I was 8, first away match with 11, whole family infested with the virus (Schalke 04 isn't a club, but a religion). Also have a heart for St. Pauli in Germany, Hearts in Scotland, Everton in the PL. Of all the London clubs, I probably sympathise with Wimbledon the most, but they'll have a hard time in the League One this year again.

My top 4 predictions for the PL:
    1st - Man Utd
    2nd - Chelsea
    3rd - Man City
    4th - Arsenal

My top 4 predictions for the Bundesliga:
    1st - Bayern Munich
    2nd - those black-and-yellow gits from the Ruhrgebiet suburbs whose name I dare not write nor say
    3rd - Schalke
    4th - Leverkusen
  • Magenta said:

2nd - those black-and-yellow gits from the Ruhrgebiet suburbs whose name I dare not write nor say

Love me some Dortmund. Wish they'd stop selling their best players to Munich mid-season every season though.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I don't think arsenal will get fourth this season. Not unless they suddenly get a world class defender. Tottenham, West Ham, or Everton will probably challenge hard for fourth

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Xaden said:
    Specifically Manchester United.
    I knew I hated you for a good reason!

=)

- (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Mishgul said:
    I don't think arsenal will get fourth this season. Not unless they suddenly get a world class defender. Tottenham, West Ham, or Everton will probably challenge hard for fourth
    I dunno... I've kinda been saying that for two or three years and they just always seem to squeak it...

• I have to cope with the 'eredivisie' (that's dutch), a terrible terrible competition with only one club that matters and two others that don't matter but have the quality to actually play european leagues as well.

I've had a season card for Feyenoord for about six years, untill my daughter was born and I chose family over football. Since I'm a feyenoord-fan, I haven't exactly been spoiled with prizes the last decade. But nontheless, I have high hopes for a title this year!

So:

1. Feyenoord
    2. PSV
    3. AZ
    4. we-do-not-mention-this

Coamenel said:
    I have to cope with the 'eredivisie' (that's dutch), a terrible terrible competition with only one club that matters and two others that don't matter but have the quality to actually play european leagues as well.

I've had a season card for Feyenoord for about six years, untill my daughter was born and I chose family over football. Since I'm a feyenoord-fan, I haven't exactly been spoiled with prizes the last decade. But nontheless, I have high hopes for a title this year!

So:

1. Feyenoord
    2. PSV
    3. AZ

That is highly optimistic

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • No Tukkers? :D
    Xaden said:
    Mishgul said:
    I dunno... I've kinda been saying that for two or three years and they just always seem to squeak it...
    They collapsed so badly against liverpool.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Mishgul said:
    Coamenel said:
    I have to cope with the 'eredivisie' (that's dutch), a terrible terrible competition with only one club that matters and two others that don't matter but have the quality to actually play european leagues as well.

So:

1. Feyenoord
    2. PSV
    3. AZ

Perhaps, but given the first three matches and the fact that there were nearly no changes within the squad, I feel free to be optimistic.

Ajax (there, I said it) now has to work with Bosz, who was a decent player but a terrible coach. I believe they now have four points out of three matches. And none of those matches were against the better clubs in the competition, so they're in for a terrible season. Which is why I reckon AZ, who a lead by van den Brom, will top them at the end.

PSV has the greater quality, true. But I think, or hope rather, that 'we' will beat them with a better mentality.

As for Twente, or tukkers, they've had a hard hit in the summer break. They basically went bankrupt and now have to sell their most valuable assets. I give them little chance in being successful. Although the hired lad from City seems to be really good, Ziyech will be leaving for a bigger club I reckon and he's pretty much the only one that can help Twente out of this misery -right now-.
    Coamenel said:
    Mishgul said:
    Coamenel said:

So:

1. Feyenoord
    2. PSV
    3. AZ

Perhaps, but given the first three matches and the fact that there were nearly no changes within the squad, I feel free to be optimistic.

Ajax (there, I said it) now has to work with Bosz, who was a decent player but a terrible coach. I believe they now have four points out of three matches. And none of those matches were against the better clubs in the competition, so they're in for a terrible season. Which is why I reckon AZ, who a lead by van den Brom, will top them at the end.

PSV has the greater quality, true. But I think, or hope rather, that 'we' will beat them with a better mentality.

As for Twente, or tukkers, they've had a hard hit in the summer break. They basically went bankrupt and now have to sell their most valuable assets. I give them little chance in being successful. Although the hired lad from City seems to be really good, Ziyech will be leaving for a bigger club I reckon and he's pretty much the only one that can help Twente out of this misery -right now-.
    How many champions league places do eredivisie get these days? is it 2 and one qualifying?

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Mishgul said:
    Coamenel said:
    Mishgul said:
    Coamenel said:

So:

1. Feyenoord
    2. PSV
    3. AZ

How many champions league places do eredivisie get these days? is it 2 and one qualifying?
    One group-stage and a 3rd qualifying round. To be honoust, we don't deserve much more. The quality of football is dramatic.
    Coamenel said:
    Mishgul said:
    Coamenel said:
    Mishgul said:
    Coamenel said:

So:

1. Feyenoord
    2. PSV
    3. AZ

One group-stage and a 3rd qualifying round. To be honoust, we don't deserve much more. The quality of football is dramatic.
    When I started watching football, the dutch teams were always in the top end of european football :( how the mighty have fallen

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • edited August 2016
    Mishgul said:
    Coamenel said:
    Mishgul said:
    Coamenel said:
    Mishgul said:
    Coamenel said:

So:

1. Feyenoord
    2. PSV
    3. AZ

When I started watching football, the dutch teams were always in the top end of european football :( how the mighty have fallen
    It's pretty much all about the money. If you look at feyenoord, they rely solely on their youth. But the big clubs from abroad offer so much more money (the TV revenues are so much bigger than in the Netherlands). E.g.: Chong was THE coming talent at Feyenoord, he's 16 years old. But alas, he's now playing at Manchester United. :(

Out of the traditional top-3, only Ajax still has the name of being a proper club. But even if the clubs are attractive to top-players, the eredivisie itself is a scarecrow for them.
  • I would genuinely love for Leicester to prove that last season was not a fluke. Not quite sure they can do that and I am definitely not promising to present a sermon on Light in my undies if they DO prove me wrong (Poor Gary Linekar). They proved last year that sometimes it isn't always about overpaid footballers, but sometimes it just "works" as a team.

Arsenal are looking tired but I will still love them to the moon and back. Having said that, my local teams are doing pretty good (shout out to Burton Albion and Derby woot woot). Who knows!
  • Aurora said:
    I would genuinely love for Leicester to prove that last season was not a fluke. Not quite sure they can do that and I am definitely not promising to present a sermon on Light in my undies if they DO prove me wrong (Poor Gary Linekar). They proved last year that sometimes it isn't always about overpaid footballers, but sometimes it just "works" as a team.

Arsenal are looking tired but I will still love them to the moon and back. Having said that, my local teams are doing pretty good (shout out to Burton Albion and Derby woot woot). Who knows!
    How Jeff Hendrick is still playing for Derby and hasn't gotten a move to a lower premier league side is just beyond me.

• Someone should make a fantasy league.
  • I went and made a league!

578918-790786

Scoring starts in gameweek 4.

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/
  • 1st - Man City
    2nd - Man Utd
    3rd - Spurs
    4th - Chelsea

Man Utd look annoyingly strong with Zlatan and Pogba, it could make a massive difference for them this season. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • ...my team is under my real name :(

Hi Guys, I'm Steve. Nice to meet you.

Fuck.

I am Waseem, and i'm an anonymous.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • edited August 2016
    I opened expecting real football.

Not soccer.

0/10

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    I opened expecting real football.

Not soccer.

0/10
    Are you talking about that sport that only 'muricans play with the egg shaped ball in their hands? Hand-Egg? 

• He must be confused between football and girls rugby they play other there covered in padding.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited August 2016
    Girls rugby?

• Tell that to all the concussions they get. Poor football players :(
  • Basketball > all

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.