Scrub-friendly classes

I'm admittedly very bad at combat. This is the first MUD I've ever played, and I have zero coding knowledge. I don't really have the time or the inclination to learn about intense scripting or practice complex strategies when I could be playing other aspects of the game that I enjoy much more, but at the same time I would like to be able to be at least marginally useful during raid defense and such. I have pretty much no interest in 1v1 at all. My question is, what's a class I could play that would allow me to be passable (not great) at combat with minimal knowledge of the ins and outs, preferably a magic-y one? I definitely don't imagine my grook swinging a sword around, to say the least. I recently switched to shaman for RP reasons but...yeah.

I was thinking Magi? Doesn't seem too crazy aside from retardation, and I could work on that.

Props to all the wizard combatants out there. This stuff takes dedication.

Comments

• For Hashan, Magi and Alchemist are probably the easiest. Shaman is relatively easy, but does require quite a bit of effort.

• If you have no interest in top tier 1v1 Occultist is the shit. Amazing flavor, huge unartied damage, great support and utility in tarot. Wouldn't need Domination if you want to be frugal. Maybe Chimera for flight.

It's an amazing class at low tier. Down the years, it can dominate top tier as well, as you inevitably pick up experience and some scripts. 
  • I think magi is what you want. You can get by with a limb counter or counting in your head. Keeping track of burn levels might be slightly difficult but I think there are scripts out there for that.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I don't think Magi is that simple beyond the damage capabilities, tbh. There's a decent amount to track with room effects, entities, etc. Their damage is nice, though.

• I found monk to be a pretty easy class to pick up. I can count in my head with it too
  • edited August 2016
    Well. I hear Shaman actually isn't hard to script just for raid stuff.  @Tyserous also was in the same boat as you and he picked it up in like a rl day. You could talk to him if you're having trouble.  

If you really want to go a super easy group fighting class, I agree with @Mizik.  Occultist is the shit. You can almost manual the whole class in a group if you have a sufficiently decent typing time.  Half the time, you can just aeon aeon aeon, star star star, doppie warp doppie warp....and if they start hitting you, pathfinder home or fly away on your chimera or something. On the other hand though, people are going to hit you a lot in raids and that gets annoying after a while. And the upkeep for the class is kind of insane with the karma gathering, pact making, and tarot buying all the time.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • VanVan
    edited November 2016
    The amount of people I've directly gotten killed with Demon Beckon as apostate at the city gates...it's perfect for systemless combat.  I haven't had a system for years, which is partially why I stopped playing - eventually I couldn't keep up with new classes and curing methodology, and forgot all semblance of coding knowledge to make triggers and other basic syntax.  

• Van said:
    The amount of people I've directly gotten killed with Demon Beckon as apostate at the city gates...it's perfect for systemless combat.  I haven't had a system for years, which is partially why I stopped playing - eventually I couldn't keep up with new classes and curing methodology, and forgot all semblance of coding knowledge to make triggers and other basic syntax.  

With the advent of server side curing you should be good to go. 

Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • I'm terribad at combat, but Monk seems really simple.

Prep torso till almost breaking
    Prep legs.
    Probably jab head/arms and mind command out their tree touch or a salve apply.
    Break legs and prone
    Axekick + break torso.

If they prioritize legs, attempt to get a free few bbts in.  You legitimately only need 2-3 (The damage is that insane on a broken torso).  Course, if this doesn't work, just friggin go for the mind scythe route.

If they prioritize torso well ggwp they're dead.

If they prioritize head, just literally bbt them to death.

The only real big issue is you'll need to counter parries (and have a counter for that shit).  You'l likely need to attempt your kill path twice if you don't know how many hits you need to break the person's limbs.

Monk has amazing utility in group combat ( I mean, being able to just drop mental afflictions on people from range is nice ).  Has good utility if used in tandem with someone else.  Can cheese some folks real easy.  Monks, Runies, BMs, and other classes who like prone will likely love you as well .

Oh.  Did I mention we get room hinder?  Apparently we get room hinder.  Lord knows if it's a higher chance than grave hands.  (What is their chance??? 85%?? It's ridiculous sometimes), but it's room hinder enough to heckle people if you want to do your damage all around slower and break at a slower rate, but make people cry as they try to disengage.
  • Force the apply on the leg break, not before.

Use Kai transition to swap stances easy. Can do all your prep in scs, break etc then Kai transition to bear with your first bbt.

Bear increases bbt damage and is your room hinder.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    Force the apply on the leg break, not before.

Use Kai transition to swap stances easy. Can do all your prep in scs, break etc then Kai transition to bear with your first bbt.

Whyyyy do you do this Atalkez?

Don't use Bear stance. Plz. It suxorz.
  • Stance bear following the combo instead of before and save the Kai (that you didn't burn on surge because fk mounts)  to kai transition to dragon if they prio legs over head or kai choke since they tanked your ten str bbts like they were getting paid for it. #intmonkproblems
  • Farrah said:
    Atalkez said:
    Force the apply on the leg break, not before.

Whyyyy do you do this Atalkez?

Don't use Bear stance. Plz. It suxorz.
    Gotta get use out of that blunt paragon somehow!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I still haven't looked at artie armor at all. 

• Artie armour came out while I was repeatedly dueling Jhui and dying to BBTs (and the whole clamp release thing made them worse). Bought blunt paragon so fast... No regrets.