What are you reading?

Comments

• Anedhel said:

Just (re)finished Thief of Time. Terry Pratchett writes so purdy.

I was disappointed by the latest Discworld book, Raising Steam. It all felt so perfunctory: here is the invention of the steam engine, here is how the railway expands, here are a few associated inventions like railway sandwiches to punctuate things, plus a cultural/religious allegory. There was so little of the characteristic wit and charming prose that usually ties his books together. Characters were off-puttingly self-referential, specifically Moist. The actual story being told was more like a sequence of events.

I know it can be attributed to his circumstances with Alzheimer's and having to dictate his writing, which deeply sucks. But, yeah.

Currently reading the new Dresden Files book which is a little trashy but fun.

• I just finished reading a chapter in my psychology textbook about the sexual response cycle.

That's about as interesting as my reading has been lately, outside of Achaea. :P

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• What have I read recently.... D&D 3.5 Players Handbook? 

I also read the Da Vinci Code a while ago and was having Assassins Creed flashbacks. It's a good, fast read.

Let's see, suggestion wise. Peeps by Scott Westerfeld (anything by him, honestly) is fascinating, a take on vampirism including a bunch of extraneous facts about parasites that tie in with the book. 

If you are a dragon person, I feel honor bound to tell you to go read Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight and the series created around it. 

And the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong is intense smutty fun. That's pretty much the only way I can describe it.

I have no time to read anymore. This is making me wax nostalgic.

• RuthRuth Singapore

Just finished reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. I enjoyed the book loads; the writing is very attention-grabbing and the magic-based plotline, while simple, is embellished by religio-political wordplay between characters that eventually intensifies into deceit, betrayal, genocide and more bloodshed.

Starting to read Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson as well. This one appears to move away from medieval-themed ideas of kingdoms, sword fights and the like and leans more towards a sci-fi outlook.

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• If you haven't, pick up The Way of Kings. I loved Elantris and it's what hooked me onto Sanderson, but he's grown so much since then. Epic fantasy at its best.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• RuthRuth Singapore

Have! I just about have all of the books he wrote. He's like, one of my favorite authors. <3

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it

I'm waiting for the price of his books to go down before I get them because they're like...RM 90 here :X Which is like the cost of a full tank of gas.

I want to read them so bad though aghhhh

If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited August 2014

eBooks! I r reading on my Kindle though.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Resurrecting this because I want more book suggestions. So get back to reading, you lot!

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• So for all the Brandon Sanderson fans out there. Shadows of Self just came out.
  • I've mostly been reading nonfiction lately...trying to make it through Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond and Destiny Disrupted by Tamim Ansary. For fiction/poetry lately I've been rereading Octavia's Brood, which is a collection of sci fi short stories and Warsan Shire's poetry collection Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth. So good. I need to catch up on my fantasy to read list. Oh and my latest guilty pleasure chick lit was The Awesome Girl's Guide to Dating Extraordinary Men, it was surprisingly cute and entertaining, I'd recommend it if you dig chick lit. 
  • Takeshi Kovacs series - Altered Carbon is 1st book. Was good enough that I got all three of the series. 2nd was so-so and I lost interest half-way through the 3rd. Gentleman Bastard Series was brought up earlier, definitely recommend that. Rivers of London was also good - and sequels.
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • Shadow's of self definitely worth the read.

It has what is probably the saddest scene he's ever written in it though. Be warned.

• Re-reading the Dragaera and Vlad Taltos novels by Steven Brust. They are absolute masterpieces of literary wit and style. I highly suggest them to any who enjoy very engaging fantasy
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    The Picture of Dorian Gray.

• The Children of Húrin.

Tragic, to put it simply.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Makarios said:

Shadow's of self definitely worth the read.

It has what is probably the saddest scene he's ever written in it though. Be warned.

nooooooooooo what don't tell me that D:
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Right now, book number 4 of The demon Cycle by Peter V Brett. The Skull Throne
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool Or a coward
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
    For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
    "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
    Such is the rule of honor
  • The Alloy of Law, by Brandon Sanderson. It takes base within the universe of the Mistborn Trilogy, but is a completely separate series of happenings taking place in the steam-powered era. Guns, unique magic, cool things.

Aside from that, I only read textbooks.

• The End of the Affair by Graham Greene.
  • The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I've read it before, but goodness, it's so British and excellent :O
  • Jam by Yahtzee Croshaw. Meh. Interesting premise, that the world gets covered in self-replicating man-eating jam, but he doesn't really go anywhere with it. The apocalypse is mostly a background for a character-based disaster/survival story, but despite a bit of playing around with conventions, none of the characters are very interesting. Most of the dialogue is sardonic wit, or reactions to/setup for sardonic wit, and it's a bit internetty in the way it's written with lots of all-caps shouting. Not awful but wouldn't recommend.

The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde. #7 in the Thursday Next series. I thought it ran off the rails after #4; I didn't like the direction he took #5, and #6 felt really rushed. This was a return to form after #6's detour, diving back into the absurd fantasy grounded in mundanity that is the series' strength. The main annoyance for me was all the major (secondary) plot threads from the last couple of books that are still waiting for some resolution. #1-4 were their own little quadrilogy, so I'm hoping #5-8 will be the same and certain things will be brought back and wrapped up in the next one.
  • Aegoth said:
    Re-reading the Dragaera and Vlad Taltos novels by Steven Brust. They are absolute masterpieces of literary wit and style. I highly suggest them to any who enjoy very engaging fantasy
    Oooh, thanks for reminding me to check for new ones in that series. I seem to have missed Hawk coming out last year.
  • Eld said:
    Aegoth said:
    Re-reading the Dragaera and Vlad Taltos novels by Steven Brust. They are absolute masterpieces of literary wit and style. I highly suggest them to any who enjoy very engaging fantasy
    Oooh, thanks for reminding me to check for new ones in that series. I seem to have missed Hawk coming out last year.
    Hawk is pretty great! I couldn't put it down
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    "La dame de Monsoreau" by Alexandre Dumas.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Anyone ever read the  Aubrey–Maturin series by Patrick O'brian? So far I am really enjoying Master and Commander, but then I saw the series is  about twenty one books long and sort of started doubting myself.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Girl In Translation, by Jean Kwok. 

How the Irish Became White, by Noel Ignatiev.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Aodfionn said:
    Girl In Translation, by Jean Kwok. 

How the Irish Became White, by Noel Ignatiev.
    Everything makes sense now.

I'm re-reading Wuthering Heights after not reading it for like 10+ years because something in Achaea reminded me greatly of it. It was one of my favorite novels growing up and it's still really good.
  • 2016 budget... Hate life.