2021 Mid Year Update

2»

Comments

• Well that sucks. Just another stupid expensive artie theyve made wholly useless then. Confirms my 'not-another-dime" attitude. I think that puts it at 7 that they've nerfed/deleted of mine. 2 of them alone costing 4500cr. GFY.

• @Caelan Confirms my 'not-another-dime" attitude. 

What a huge loss to the game this update has been, confirming your attitude to already not support it.

I'll begin ghostwriting the administrations resumes, should I?

• Based on your other posts, I woukd leave that job to someone utilizing better spelling and grammar.

• edited July 2021

@Elyon :

@Astarod I'm sure all 3 paladins are very upset

Yeah That's kinda the point. In truth, Targossas has a lot of both Paladins and Runewardens, hidden behind MC (for example, I have both), but nobody plays them because both classes are in the dumps when it comes to PVP, with Paladin IMO being probably the worst class in the game overall, especially if you would like to play anything that isn't SnB.

I'm very much looking forward to Paladin rework, but in general if I got a vote on any one thing to be fixed in the next year or two in Achaea it would be the Mark / Infamy / Contract system which is probably a lot less work than a class rework or new class launch, but would make a much bigger positive difference to the game.

The change to earrings is already make a big, if a bit quiet, impact on the game in a great way, so I have to give some applause when due, but I'm also a little sad to see that Marks/Infamy aren't even on the radar (at least, on this list).

• One thing I've realised since going Mark again is just how boring it is. 2 contracts max that don't count down unless the target is outside city / off a ship etc. That sounds great in principle but when you have a target that logs on at 3am your time and never leaves the city anyway, you're kind of stuck with it. And, of course, you can't see the target before you claim it (a good thing) so you take a chance on who you get. I took one the day I went Mark, 6-7 weeks ago that still has 28 days left on it.

Of course being Mark opens you up to more general conflict being Open PK so you can make the most of that, but as a -role- to play it seems pretty lacklustre at the moment.

I see very little difference mechanically between Mark and Dauntless as it stands and I think those deserve to be more defined.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • You're wrong.

Runewarden is great in all four specs. Proficy steamrolls in 2h, Dochitha and Proficy dumped on people in dwb, Mizik, Farrah, Kez can shit on anyone in snb, and dwc just takes a little more finesse than it used to (and you have to be willing to try a rift lock now and then).

Paladin is a strong class. Farrah and I both say all the time we wish we could have Paladin.

• Paladin is great for dueling as snb, the rest are pretty lackluster. The benefits of Paladin are mostly lost if there is a Priest around, because they share a skillset and you can only have one set of Rites anyway. So you only need one Devotionist, multiple don't stack very well compared to easy locks of Apostate/Infernal or quick enlighten from multiple Occultists. At that point it's just another knight, and runewarden can do the same things that paladin can. With Bloodsworn not mattering if you're paladin or priest, we're better off having multiple priests advancing each others offense with the ability to pass rites between rather than a priest/paladin combo that doesn't really help one another outside of damage increase. Multiple priests can quick stack into multiple saps with the scaling, rather than paladin just being extra damage and afflictions that don't synergize much.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I think there is an important distinction between Paladins in group and 1v1. 1v1 they aren't terrible, having a faster cure and piety over runewardens is pretty big, as is purity/arc, inspiration, bliss, rite of cleansing etc.

I am in agreement with Atalkez' perspective in groups. Paladin won't ever be terrible in groups because the DwC and SnB core skills are just so useful for groups, but if you already have a Priest or a second Paladin it loses a lot and Runewarden starts looking better and better. In short, Runewarden + Priest better than Paladin + Priest which is kinda saddening from a flavour and lore perspective.

• I can agree with that. Paladin is, in my opinion, better than runewarden at 1v1 and pretty great in general at 1v1 (as SnB). But in groups, I'd rather a runewarden.

• edited July 2021

Depends. Most of the time Runewarden's 100% DSB will edge out Paladin's entire 1v1 kit, but for scenarios where DSB won't kill, Paladin has options in Damnation and a stronger softlock in Hellsight/Dazzle/Visions to fork into. Paladin is certainly more fun and has rng kills that Runewarden just doesn't, as well as Purity/Arc nuke.

In raiding, Totems is pretty much mandatory.

Out of city skirmish, I'd take Rites, Deliver, Resurrection, Force and Hands over Runelore.

• Priest has all of those and a better offense that scales with more priests, which is the entire point I was making and that Taryius was making. Paladin has nothing that you wouldn't just take a Priest instead for in groups, and Runewarden specifically does more synergizing with Priest than Paladin through mana drain from pith and higher damage all around. Paladin just doesn't have much going for it that you can't find elsewhere with the only exception being on demand Hellsight.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

I agree. Give runewarden more love.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I always thought paladin dsb did roughly the same damage as runie dsb because of the +2 strength. I never had problems dsbing as paladin. It's infernal dsb that is weak.

• True, but I feel like with healthleech and Deathaura my opponents are seldom at 100%, then have to tank the inpending Quash/Arc. Feels strong.

• "- The last classlead round of the year will open in October."

Any update on this?

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Already happened, you missed it. October was last month

• Announce News Post #5395

Classleads.

Written by: Makarios, the Meticulous

Date: Monday, December 6th, 2021

Addressed to: Everyone

Hopefully you're all having a good December, and as we all know nothing puts the finishing touches on the month like incurring the wrath of your enemies for a poorly conceived classlead. So to finish off this year: classleads are now open. Submissions will close at 0 GMT on the 13th - certain to be unlucky for some.

For those of you that haven't participated in classleads before (or may simply have forgotten the specifics), here are a few points:

- Classleads are anonymous.

- Each person can submit up to five classlead reports. Please do not utilise alternative characters to bypass this limit: I will be annoyed and you may lose your ability to file classleads in the future. This includes having people post on your behalf.

- Your reports should supply reasoning alongside the perceived problem: if something is too strong/weak, you should always state why. It's best to avoid drawing comparisons to other classes, although sometimes this is appropriate. Use your best judgement!

- You should attempt to supply multiple solutions (where applicable - some cases are fairly cut and dry). If your lone solution is "delete x", I probably will reject your classlead out of hand: fair warning.

This round there are a few things it might not be worth your time to file classleads on. You're still welcome to do so as your ideas might inspire some change of plans, just be aware the below few topics already have things in the planning stages for significant changes so your reports might just not be relevant:

- Magi.

- Expansion/updates to exterminate mechanics.

- Dexterity changes (I would actually like thoughts here if people have particularly interesting ideas for future direction in regards to the stat, but general patches probably won't go in).

I am particularly interested in the following. Try to have a cohesive direction in mind when you file reports in regard to these:

- Druid/sentinel modernising.

- Occultist sanitising.

- Runewarden modernising.

There are full details along with command breakdowns under HELP CLASSLEADS and the CLASSLEAD command.

I look forward to reading your reports!

Penned by My hand on the 14th of Miraman, in the year 875 AF.

This discussion has been closed.