ATA: Ask Them Anything

12346»

Comments

• As a player that somewhat struggles with the creative side of this game (I've never been all that creative and lol I still sort of struggle with figuring out my character sometimes), what sort of things do you guys suggest getting into to start becoming better with it all, especially faith-based things? 

For faith-based things, and I guess this could be applied to anything in general, it can just start with a discussion. For example, you could pick one of the Parable and discuss that with others in more of a "Lets just talk about what this could mean" and less "This is what this means" and let it grow from there.

A great example of this that just came to mind was a conversation Sevet had with @Aegoth, @Zackery and a couple others at Stygian. It started out as a completely harmless chat, and because of one question turned into a super interesting discussion on the nature of divinity, god essence. It was not planned, but turned out to be really interesting and I think it created deeper conversations for everyone involved later.

Basically, take the leap to just wade into things and learn about them. Be inquisitive, explore and engage with not only the players around you, but the various items and enemies. I also cannot stress enough that doing this stuff in-game allows us to get involved sometimes and maybe add input or just show up to listen.

It is really not very hard to start this stuff, it is just a matter of taking the chance to do it.
  • Kakotas said:
    Favorite Soda?
    I am a sucker for coca cola. 

Most fun thing you've ever done that is common knowledge now?
    This is genuinely a difficult one, but as you said common knowledge... It's going to have to be gatecrashing the 'meet and greet' in Targossas. Best. Day. Ever.

If you could create one creature for us to hunt what would it be and why? (the crazier the better)
    A colony of honeybadgers. You'd think that you were hunting them, before being lured into a trap... 
    Lyndee said:
    1. I'm curious about re/introduction events. Do you all design these to your preference or are they group decisions by everyone? I'm thinking about the difference between @Pandora who had us all come to a much-hyped funky party vs. @Aurora whose arrival was rather understated (that novice whose event you crashed was beside herself). I'm just curious about how that works!

There are a lot of variables involved in these events, but the two factors that usually sway how 'big' the introduction is will be: the role itself, and current events.

It was public knowledge that Aurora had been with Deucalion, so for her to have a huge fanfare didn't seem to fit. That being said, Aurora's introduction wasn't 'planned', per se. I'd picked the role, got all of the details figured out, and then I was made aware that Targossas was doing a 'meet and greet'. It just seemed too perfect to pass up! 

2. Are you all friends? I have always thought that being a God sounded a little isolating, since there's not a ton of you all and you don't get the same opportunity to just stand around and shoot the shit that mortals have. Am I wrong? What's it like? Are there times where there's only 1-2 people on godwho (or whatever)?

They pick on me all of the time, and I would like to speak to an HR representative.

Seriously, though, these bunch make me laugh so, so much. I honestly couldn't ask for better group of people - they celebrate every success as if it were their own, and they help me work through any issues without any hesitation. They're not just my friends, they're my crazy little family. Because, we spend so much time together that they just couldn't be anything else. 

Without giving too much away, there's rarely a time when there's less than three or four of us about. In the entire time that I have been in the Garden, there has only been one day where I found myself 'alone'. It lasted for about an hour.

3. How long till you got the hang of capitalising Me? Relatedly, do you ever accidentally capitalise Me when you aren't playing Achaea?

Immediately, and sadly... Yes. Trying to explain that to someone who has never played Achaea is the single most difficult thing in the world. "I am the Goddess of Light, and I'm above puny mortals such as you..." 

4. What's your favourite area in the game? Either one you designed or just one you like. And what makes it stand out?

Without a doubt, any part of Nur. It is so otherworldly, so beautiful, and just wonderfully exotic. Love it!

5. What are your zodiac signs?

I am a Pisces!

6. @Aurora have you considered replacing the gates to Al Qalat? I really can't seem to work them out and it's just really embarrassing for all of us, I think. 

Okay, so I have to admit something. It makes me laugh - not just a little snicker, but a proper ol' cackle - far too much when this happens. So, whilst I'm inclined to keep the gates... or is it gate... as they are, I will be fixing them. It's on my list.  ;) 
    Exivus said:
    What's the perfect breakfast meal in your eyes and why
    Bacon. Pancakes. Maple Syrup. No explanation required.
    Reyson said:
    What's the last thing that made you straight-up cackle in Achaea? 
    Pandora 'revealing' the archway to Hashan, flattening Mezhgar.
  • Sartan said:

I also cannot stress enough that doing this stuff in-game allows us to get involved sometimes and maybe add input or just show up to listen. 
    How often do the Gods do this sort of thing? Just show up and listen to discussions, lectures, etc? Either visible or not. 
    Can go for the rest of the Garden as well, just curious. 

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Sartan said:
    Saonji said:
    Sartan said:

1. Just off the top of my head, I will use Warcraft bosses for reference - It would be some mixture of Archimonde, Ragnaros 2.0, and Hakkar.
    Not gonna lie, an Archimonde-inspired (Mythic version) foray boss (mechanics-wise) would be amazing. No doubt incredibly infuriating for anyone who's not played/done the raid, but amazing. Throw in a Gul'dan miniboss and you got something glorious.

I forgot about Gul'dan. Probably due to the amount of rage that fight created for me.

Gul'dan is the true Lord of Suffering.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• Sartan said:
    Kaios said:
    Aurora said:

Due to how long Aurora and Deucalion had been gone, it's safe to say that Targossas was used to being without a patron, especially one who held them accountable for their actions - no matter whether those actions were seen to be positive or negative.

This may sound harsh, but if the only interactions you're party to are negative ones, then I promise you that it brings me no pleasure to have them. In fact, my consumption of tea and toblerones dramatically increases. It is simply the case that Targossas has sworn to defend and protect Creation, and if they are putting personal agendas above that responsibility then they will certainly know of Aurora's disapproval.

Generally speaking, this approach applies to any theocracy. We have the privilege of having clout behind what we say, but we also have the burden of condemning those who do not take the responsibility of their charge seriously.

Fair enough that is understandable. I suppose my confusion lies in the statement Sartan mentioned earlier, "it's all about the RP." Sometimes I have a lot difficulty understanding what role play reasoning there is for something that appears to be done arbitrarily most of the time. Killing someone who asked how they may serve you for example, or not allowing someone the privilege of earning their way to returning to the city because they "broke their oaths" for the purposes of avoiding something mechanically. A lot of these decisions seem entirely frivolous or based on ever-changing criteria and it makes me hesitant to interact with any God because of the completely random response you can get based on their mood at the time.

I am going to try and speak to this, but there is a bit to unpack here.  First, when I say  "it is all about the RP", I mean that decisions I make are first and foremost based on how Sartan the character would react to them. After that, some weight is placed in OOC considerations, but like I said, it is all about the RP first, and everything else second.

With that established, and using your example, Sartan would only see that someone broke their oath. Their reason is moot, and especially a reason that is they were trying to avoid some type of mechanical repercussions. What your example is asking is for us to ignore the in-character action, and mainly take into account that someone is trying to game the system, so we should be understanding and let them off. There are a lot of issues there, and as RP gods, feeding into that would only lessen the enjoyment of others versus enhancing it.

I guess my question is, why does playing a role and enjoying oneself have to be mutually exclusive things? In my opinion we should be able to have both, but the simple fact for me is that if I am not enjoying the time I spend doing something I'll go do something else and no amount of role play would change that feeling for me, nor do I feel it would change for anyone else. Don't misunderstand me though, I can handle loss and I'm willing to forgo my enjoyment for a time so that someone else may have their own, but I think there is truly a lack of appreciation regarding how much a new player actually has to learn about all of this stuff especially considering there is 10,000 scrolls of information to read through.

Enjoying yourself and playing a role is not mutually exclusive, and you can have both. Now, if you instead mean why can't you play any role you want without worrying about consequences for your actions if they clash with the purpose of the city/house you are part of? Then I would say you need to determine what the role is you wish to play, and if that roleplay will fit in the organization you are in.  The two theocracies have stricter rules than the other cities, and while that does not mean certain types of roleplay are not allowed there, it does mean you have to account for their restrictions when choosing to join them.

I don't understand why there is such a need to dole out punishment only for the sake of it. I have noticed that there is a huge focus on "consequences" around here but majority of the time it does not seem to me like the consequences are ever actually equal to the act that got someone punished in the first place.
    I would argue that your perception of "just for the sake of it" is likely due to not containing the full story, or like I said above, does not take into account the RP first mentality. Again, none of us are here to ruin anyone's fun and we are generally trying to have fun ourselves. We do not function in a "punish first, ask questions second" system either, but instead really just expect players to roleplay to a basic level that matches the organization's purpose.

Ultimately, your perception is that many of us are here looking for a reason to kill someone, or ruin someones fun, which is completely untrue. What we are in part are the "RP Police" in that we are tasked with making sure the organizations we are part of stick to their themes. So something that may seem frivolous to you, is instead us just playing the game the same way we figure everyone else is.

If you don’t mind an ic mortals perspective of this @Sartan, I’ve noticed a lot of times that there has been situations that @Phaestus in Cyrene would have been well within his rights to smite someone, myself very much included (Sorry boss). I also know that those similar discussions would’ve been put an end to much sooner by Sartan because of the character you portray.  I don’t think it’s fair for someone to be angry with a “Divine Character” for rping how their character is supposed to behave.  

Phaestus for example is often heard expressing annoyance with the politics and drivel of Cyrene (something I imagine irl he has to drink quite a bit as a result of and none of you envy him for) but really seems to only intervene when it seems very necessary, while I know due to knowing a general idea of how Sartan’s rp is that Sartan would never tolerate 10% of it due to the culture and ideology of Mhaldor and him

Theocratic cities have an innate and militant society that can be undermined by disloyalty.  As a player, we need to consider our characters and all other characters to be people in this world to an extent.  If someone jumped from country to country irl that were regularly on hostile footing,  there would be some suspicion about the individuals loyalties and motives and eventually possibly some consequences.

The fact that we play a game doesn’t necessarily mean we will always have fun with it, and sometimes we gotta bite the bullet and accept consequences.  If we don’t want to be held accountable for our choices by other players or character gods for how our character behaves, then what about the next person in line?  Suddenly it becomes a world of  1 players trying to play an open world multiplayer game.

In other words, completely agree with a lot of what you said and have never felt any volunteers have tried to ruin the experience of any player!
  • It is indeed GATE, @Lyndee

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Iaxus said:
    Sartan said:

I also cannot stress enough that doing this stuff in-game allows us to get involved sometimes and maybe add input or just show up to listen. 
    How often do the Gods do this sort of thing? Just show up and listen to discussions, lectures, etc? Either visible or not. 
    Can go for the rest of the Garden as well, just curious. 

A LOT.

You will almost never see Sartan visible at one due to who he is, but I try to either listen in on all of them, or when time permits I try to attend with a denizen.
  • More questions!

Is it safe to assume when you all are visible in the room you can hear the tells that are coming in and out? I am very self conscious of the amount of syntax troubleshooting or "wait i thought gods were npc?!?" :tired_face: or "OMG She is so pretty!!!!!" that are happening in my head when I'm in the room with gods and novices. And do OOC tells to help them get sorted bug you, if so?

Do you all ever want a player to email you something OOC? I know you mentioned earlier that feedback about your role should go to the producers, but that's not what I'm thinking about. More like, "I have an idea and there's no sane/IC way to describe it"? @Aurora 's opinion on this matters more to me but if the rest of you are so moved to answer I'm sure your factions would appreciate it.

Do you clock more hours logged in as a Divine than you did as players? Less? About the same? Do you typically work on projects (writing, for example) while logged in, or do you do work outside of the game and then port it in later?

Also Rory and Twi's zodiac signs explain EVERYTHING. @Sartan @Pandora @Phaestus you're up! 
  • edited June 2020
    Lyndee said:
    More questions!

Is it safe to assume when you all are visible in the room you can hear the tells that are coming in and out?
    Yes.
  • Lyndee said:
    More questions!

Is it safe to assume when you all are visible in the room you can hear the tells that are coming in and out? I am very self conscious of the amount of syntax troubleshooting or "wait i thought gods were npc?!?" :tired_face: or "OMG She is so pretty!!!!!" that are happening in my head when I'm in the room with gods and novices. And do OOC tells to help them get sorted bug you, if so?

I will never, ever mind if someone calls Aurora pretty. These are usually newer players, too, so if seeing a God makes them excited? I'm all for it. It depends on the situation and the role, though. If somebody told mentioned that Sartan was pretty, and he could see? They'd be cleaved in two before you could take another breath. 

Generally, these sorts of things are filtered out. I've never been one to care about anything like that unless it directly impacts the situation at hand, or if it's grossly inappropriate.

Do you all ever want a player to email you something OOC? I know you mentioned earlier that feedback about your role should go to the producers, but that's not what I'm thinking about. More like, "I have an idea and there's no sane/IC way to describe it"? @Aurora 's opinion on this matters more to me but if the rest of you are so moved to answer I'm sure your factions would appreciate it.

For the majority of ideas, patron requests are the way to go. However, for positions such as Order Head there's no real way to submit this sort of thing. For that, I'm more than happy to receive an email. 

As an aside, this is part of the reason as to why Targossas has a suggestion box. Sometimes, people who aren't in positions of power are more creative, want to break the mould, have great ideas, etc. Sometimes, however, their suggestions need to burn in a fire.

Do you clock more hours logged in as a Divine than you did as players? Less? About the same? Do you typically work on projects (writing, for example) while logged in, or do you do work outside of the game and then port it in later?

Significantly more. I typically work on projects whilst logged in, too!

Also Rory and Twi's zodiac signs explain EVERYTHING. @Sartan @Pandora @Phaestus you're up! 

You have to explain this, or else I'm keeping the gate forever.

• For the nerdy nerd gods:

Do you currently play in any tabletop games? If so, what level/class/race are you playing?

For all,

In terms of a typical horror movie, what roles do you view the other gods as being (Jock, Virgin, Nerd, etc)?

And finally...

What's a non-Achaea/IRE game that you play on the regular? I hear some people playing SoT, but I want to know what you guys do!
  • edited June 2020
    Sartan said:

Ultimately, your perception is that many of us are here looking for a reason to kill someone, or ruin someones fun, which is completely untrue. What we are in part are the "RP Police" in that we are tasked with making sure the organizations we are part of stick to their themes. So something that may seem frivolous to you, is instead us just playing the game the same way we figure everyone else is.

Oh, so you want to enjoy the game just like everyone else and have fun too? Gee what a surprise it's almost like you could be sympathetic to what I'm saying if you cared to be.

That response is entirely unfair, you're making an assumption because I never once said anyone was out to "ruin the fun." I am nearing 2000 hours of play-time which certainly isn't as much as some but it's not nothing and those are the circumstances I have seen occurring most often. You're welcome to disagree with that.

I guess if I don't have your requisite level of RP decorum, who cares that I take the time to learn the lore, spend the majority of my time aiding my city and fellow citizens, teach new players, help others to improve in combat, and so forth. I suppose you don't need people like that, because it's all about the RP, right?

• Lyndee said:
    More questions!

Some are hilarious, some get heavy sighs or facepalms, but overall it is like Aurora said. They get ignored.

Like Aurora said, Orgreq should be the first avenue of approach. I do not mind getting emails asking for clarification, and as those who have contacted me in the past can confirm, I have no issue saying if something should be handled in game.

Way more and I work on projects pretty much everyone. Some of my best ideas have come from when I am walking around work headed to a meeting.

I am an Aries.

• @Lyndee said:

1. I'm curious about re/introduction events. Do you all design these to your preference or are they group decisions by everyone? I'm thinking about the difference between @Pandora who had us all come to a much-hyped funky party vs. @Aurora whose arrival was rather understated (that novice whose event you crashed was beside herself). I'm just curious about how that works!

The others covered it a bit, but in my case there needed to be something somewhat extravagant because it was a big change from the role prior. Aurora mentioned there is no need for fanfare if things are returning to business as usual and the god in question already explained where they were in some manner. On the other hand, to suddenly have Pandora reappear grown up and with an entirely different direction with no plot details would have just left everyone confused!

2. Are you all friends? I have always thought that being a God sounded a little isolating, since there's not a ton of you all and you don't get the same opportunity to just stand around and shoot the shit that mortals have. Am I wrong? What's it like? Are there times where there's only 1-2 people on godwho (or whatever)?

We all get along really well! It should be obvious from some of the previous responses that we try to support each other a lot, and we are all varying degrees of chatty during the day.

3. How long till you got the hang of capitalising Me? Relatedly, do you ever accidentally capitalise Me when you aren't playing Achaea?

This was not as hard as I feared it would be. It is actually not too difficult once you get into the mindset of a divine character. I long ago conquered the curse of sending 'QL' to people outside Achaea, but I do sometimes use 'Me' with denizens by accident.

4. What's your favourite area in the game? Either one you designed or just one you like. And what makes it stand out?

My temple! I designed the basic concept and then got a lot of help with the implementation. Particularly, the shifting aspects I could have never done on my own, and I know that every visitor absolutely loves that feature, so be sure to thank @Phaestus for it!

As to why I like it: I believe it exemplifies Pandora in a very nice way, in symbolism and in structure. Most people have yet to discover its secrets and it has taken a surprising amount of lives, which only adds to my enjoyment and its suitability.

As a player that somewhat struggles with the creative side of this game (I've never been all that creative and lol I still sort of struggle with figuring out my character sometimes), what sort of things do you guys suggest getting into to start becoming better with it all, especially faith-based things? 

My experience both within Achaea and without is that most people are much more creative than they give themselves credit for, and this is an idea that a lot of teachers adhere to. What is missing is not usually some ambiguous creative gene, but practice to recognise and channel your creativity. Ease yourself into situations by learning as much as you can, as Sartan recommended. If you want to become better at theology, take on the role of a student first and read as many books or interview as many knowledgeable people as you can. You will inevitably have questions pop up that will at first be basic, and later become more advanced. Eventually, you will arrive at your own answers, and those answers will be your own creative resolution to the problem posed.

Most importantly, jump in without letting yourself worry that you lack a crucial element to success. No one in Achaea was born good at roleplay, or theological debates, or writing pretty items. The most accomplished people you know were all just as lost once, and only repeated practice and immersion made them what they are today. As an example, many of the items and rooms that people praise today were written by volunteers who struggled immensely with that process even a year or two earlier.
  • Pandora said:
    @Lyndee said:

My temple! I designed the basic concept and then got a lot of help with the implementation. Particularly, the shifting aspects I could have never done on my own, and I know that every visitor absolutely loves that feature, so be sure to thank @Phaestus for it!

*Cries in Mudlet Mapper :'(
  • Lyndee said:
    More questions!

We can if we choose to, but 99% of the time we don't pay attention or don't care, especially if it's not directly relevant to what's happening at the time, and it's even rarer that we comment on it or take action because of it. Unless you're actively committing treason or something in-room with a visible god. At which point you'll very shortly be reduced to a pile of ash.

Personally, emails with OOC considerations or ideas are perfectly fine, but don't expect action or a response. It'll be read and considered, but responses confirming/denying/explaining/whatever else probably aren't going to happen.

About the same, really. Maybe slightly more. For the most part we're logged in if we can be, but sometimes if you're on a train or plane or in a place without wifi and you have time to work on something, that'll be that.

• Suppose you got promoted to God under the pre-Bal'met system of "pick a name and a domain for a brand new God". What would you have picked?
  • Eril said:
    @Twilight when the decision for Hashan and by extension (to some extent) you to ally with the Tsol’teth happened, did you have any concerns about how it would play out?  Or was the feeling mostly of excitement?
    It was almost entirely excitement. I wasn't officially around yet for that but I saw then, and still do, the amount of potential that something like that would bring. It's one of the most interesting parts of Hashan history.
  • edited June 2020
    Twilight said:
    Eril said:
    @Twilight when the decision for Hashan and by extension (to some extent) you to ally with the Tsol’teth happened, did you have any concerns about how it would play out?  Or was the feeling mostly of excitement?
    It was almost entirely excitement. I wasn't officially around yet for that but I saw then, and still do, the amount of potential that something like that would bring. It's one of the most interesting parts of Hashan history.
    I can absolutely see it, Eril may hate Hashan, but seeing it propelled so quickly to power was awesome!!  Doubt it’s hurt recruitment either!
  • Adrik said:
    For the nerdy nerd gods:

Do you currently play in any tabletop games? If so, what level/class/race are you playing?

For all,

In terms of a typical horror movie, what roles do you view the other gods as being (Jock, Virgin, Nerd, etc)?

And finally...

What's a non-Achaea/IRE game that you play on the regular? I hear some people playing SoT, but I want to know what you guys do!
    I used to play DnD4e with a bunch of friends. My character's a really happy-go-lucky human Druid. I have recently been exposed to Exalted RPG tabletop though, and I think I might get a bit of fun in it. Currently planning to make a Water Exalted but still thinking on options. Check it out if you have time!

Aegis and Sartan are the jocks.
    Pandora is the troublemaking virgin who also complains a lot about decisions.
    Twilight is a very silent nerd. So is Rhivona.
    Aurora is an airheaded girl who's always fixated on herself.
    Phaestus seems to be the confident loudmouth leader.
    Nicola is head girl of a sorority.
    Ictinus is the class president. 

• Minifie said:
    Kaios said:
    Sartan said:

Oh, so you want to enjoy the game just like everyone else and have fun too? Gee what a surprise it's almost like you could be sympathetic to what I'm saying if you cared to be.

That response is entirely unfair, you're making an assumption because I never once said anyone was out to "ruin the fun." I am nearing 2000 hours of play-time which certainly isn't as much as some but it's not nothing and those are the circumstances I have seen occurring most often. You're welcome to disagree with that.

I guess if I don't have your requisite level of RP decorum, who cares that I take the time to learn the lore, spend the majority of my time aiding my city and fellow citizens, teach new players, help others to improve in combat, and so forth. I suppose you don't need people like that, because it's all about the RP, right?
    Jesus christ I have my own frustrations regarding admin, and a few (though a lot less) for the volunteers, but can you shut up? You asked your question, you were given answers that were incredibly patient and welcoming to your complaints, and you continue to double down on them. Someone made a mistake IC, it had consequences. If you don't like that, tough bickies. Don't care if I cop an infraction or ban, stop derailing a legitimately good and open thread for your personal QQrusade.
    100% agree Minifie!!!!
  • Aegis said:
    Adrik said:
    For the nerdy nerd gods:

For all,

And finally...

I used to play DnD4e with a bunch of friends. My character's a really happy-go-lucky human Druid. I have recently been exposed to Exalted RPG tabletop though, and I think I might get a bit of fun in it. Currently planning to make a Water Exalted but still thinking on options. Check it out if you have time!

Aegis and Sartan are the jocks.
    Pandora is the troublemaking virgin who also complains a lot about decisions.
    Twilight is a very silent nerd. So is Rhivona.
    Aurora is an airheaded girl who's always fixated on herself.
    Phaestus seems to be the confident loudmouth leader.
    Nicola is head girl of a sorority.
    Ictinus is the class president. 
    ur telling me canonically @Twilight has fucked?

Don't turn the lights off, all you'll just see the glowing red eyes.
  • If I was to publish The Adventures of Eros and the Divine Pantheon under the pseudonym Skye B. Neroes, how many royalties would I have to pay?

Reaching down with a massive hand, Sartan lifts your head and draws a taloned finger across your throat, the wound closing as He does so.

• Please parse that as a serious question about when Bardics are coming. :(

Reaching down with a massive hand, Sartan lifts your head and draws a taloned finger across your throat, the wound closing as He does so.

This discussion has been closed.