Minor Traits contest

Comments

• YueYue
    edited February 2013
    A Good Relationship - Grants a channel of communication to married couples. Both must have the trait to speak on the SPOUSE channel.

Bribery - Pass through Thoth's halls more quickly - at the expense of greater experience loss. (Unavailable to characters level 98 or higher)

Bittersweet - Lose slightly less experience upon death but spend slightly more time with Thoth than you normally would.

Self Appointed - Allows characters who are cityless & houseless to title themselves once a year. (Gives no effect if NOTITLEd by administration.)

Repeat Offender - Lose slightly less experience when killed by enemy guards.
  • Yue said:
    A Good Relationship - Grants a channel of communication to married couples. Both must have the trait to speak on the SPOUSE channel.

Bribery - Pass through Thoth's halls more quickly - at the expense of greater experience loss.

Bittersweet - Lose (slightly) less experience upon death but spend (slightly) more time with Thoth than you normally would.

Names Hold Power - Remove the cost (in sovereigns) for you or others to TITLE you.
    Love the SPOUSE channel and Bittersweet one. But Bribery gives you real combat advantages and all dragons would choose that when they're at a level where they don't care about exp loss anymore (just put off selecting your last trait until lvl 100)
  • Piper - Rats are very attracted to you.
    (Increases number of rats in room by 1, or increases the rate they appear at.)

Lepitopterist - You are simply an expert at catching bugs with wings(butterflies).

Diplomat - Villagers simply love you.
    (Make village feelings take longer to reach "hatred" and/or make them return to normal faster.)
  • edited February 2013
    Expressive: Say it with your hands!
    (Removes eq/bal? cost of custom emotes)

Lip Reader: Bad wind should never ruin a conversation.
    (Can 'hear' people speaking when it's windy)

Coxwain: By my timing!
    (Reduces ferry travel times by (15%?))

Dainty Diner: Chomping is so uncouth!
    (Removes the third-person message when you eat/drink something; doesn't affect herbs/minerals/brews/concoctions etc)

Silver Service: May I recommend the Vasnari red?
    (Your cooking gives increased nutrition, same as Survival: Satiation)

Sycophant: Brown-nosing takes talent.
    (10% bonus on CF/HF, 5% reduction on CDF/HDF)

ETA: Removal of 'Lip Reader' as per @Iocun's suggestion. Thanks!
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sylvance said:
    Lip Reader: Bad wind should never ruin a conversation.
    (Can 'hear' people speaking when it's windy)
    I wanted to suggest that one too, first, but that's pretty much what subterfuge lipreading does, and Tecton said "no copies of class abilities" so I left it out. Pity though, because it would be good.
  • @Sylvance the balance cost associated with custom emotes is in place to prevent people from using it effectively in combat. Obviously this is illegal, but admins can't monitor every single fight, nor can they reasonably put in limits on what you can put in an emote without severely restricting its use for RP.

• Tahquil said:

Oh Baby Baby : Two spouses are better than one.
    Be able to get married/engaged to two different people at once!

Alternative trait name: A Flower in each Hand

• Golden Eye - Allows you to see exactly how many gold sovereigns fall from a corpse.
    Master-of-Arms - Halves the number of 'practice swings' needed to gain proficiency in a weapon.
    Steady in the Saddle - Slight boost to Jousting.

• Antidas said:
    @Sylvance the balance cost associated with custom emotes is in place to prevent people from using it effectively in combat. Obviously this is illegal, but admins can't monitor every single fight, nor can they reasonably put in limits on what you can put in an emote without severely restricting its use for RP.
    @Antidas - saddens me to hear that that's why it's removed (i.e. that people can't be trusted with it), but it makes sense. Thanks for mentioning this.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Just realized I said Serapis earlier and not @Tecton. I believe that's what we call a party foul. My bad, Your Godly-ness, my bad.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • edited February 2013
    Sylvance said:

If this is picked, I very much hope the name and description are changed. I am not sure I (or most others) will be comfortable with the idea that one only seeks or receives HF or CF due to sycophancy; as I have always understood it, they are meant to be awarded due to deeds of outstanding service and accomplishment. Publicly naming them as sycophancy undermines the very reason they exist.
  • edited February 2013
    Silvarien said:
    Sylvance said:

If this is picked, I very much hope the name and description are changed. I am not sure I (or most others) will be comfortable with the implications that one only seeks or receives HF or CF due to sycophancy; as I have always understood it, they are meant to be awarded due to deeds of outstanding service and accomplishment. Publicly naming them as sycophancy undermines the very reason they exist.
    @Silvarien - Entirely not what I meant, nor what I wrote.  If anything this is the opposite; it's saying that people with this trait are using something other than deeds/outstanding service/accomplishment to receive greater perks within their city.  It is not suggesting that anyone else is receiving CF/HF through sycophancy. Nor would anybody else in the game know whether or not your character had that trait.

Whatever the case, if the connotations are distracting/offensive then I'm not averse to the wording changing.

Tanaar said:
    I'm not a fan of some people having that kind of advantage for org rank. Rank should be earned, rather than gamed. High HR and CR 5 & 6 are especially worthy accolades, and shouldn't be made easier.
    @Tanaar - I don't think a 10% bonus is going to have a huge implication for this; the person would still be having to bat pretty hard to get up to H/CR 5/6.  The fact remains that some people, for whatever reason (attractiveness, connections, family) are better than others at currying favour.

Perhaps splitting it into two different traits would make it more palatable?

ETA: Quotes fail; my responses in bold.
  • Sylvance said:
    Silvarien said:
    Sylvance said:

If this is picked, I very much hope the name and description are changed. I am not sure I (or most others) will be comfortable with the implications that one only seeks or receives HF or CF due to sycophancy; as I have always understood it, they are meant to be awarded due to deeds of outstanding service and accomplishment. Publicly naming them as sycophancy undermines the very reason they exist.
    @Silvarien - Entirely not what I meant, nor what I wrote.  If anything this is the opposite; it's saying that people with this trait are using something other than deeds/outstanding service/accomplishment to receive greater perks within their city.  It is not suggesting that anyone else is receiving CF/HF through sycophancy. Nor would anybody else in the game know whether or not your character had that trait.

Whatever the case, if the connotations are distracting/offensive then I'm not averse to the wording changing.

Is suggesting that all City and House leaders are by default susceptible to sycophancy by a jerk skilled in it really any better an implication than that CFs or HF are handed out for sycophantic reasons?
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited February 2013

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited February 2013
    something like bedazzled..

Dressed warmly? So I could wear a shirt and a sweater and a coat at the same time.

Trite Descriptor - the ability to consolidate your jewelry in your description so it says you are wearing 10 pairs of earrings instead of the full name for every single earring: same with bracelets/necklaces/flowers.

Hidden containers-Packs/scroll cases/kitbags do not appear in your description and cannot be seen on your body unless appraised. Then I can walk around looking like less of a warehouse.

Edit: Oh and Hidden armour: ability to wear your armour under your clothes (or hide it).
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.

• Here fishy, fishy, fishy - Less of a chance a fish can snap your line

Tackle box  - The cost of fishing bait is decreased by x%.
    Tackle box (2) - Bait lasts x% longer.

Bookworm - Checking out library books no longer costs gold
    Boomworm (2) - Library books stay a day longer before resetting.

Architect - Repairing a city room costs %x less willpower/endurance
    Destroyer - Destroying a city room costs %x less willpower/endurance

• edited February 2013
    Delphinus said:
    I just don't like the intent of the trait in general. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Likewise. For me, I think this is mostly because I believe the general idea behind minor traits aiming to no longer give combat benefits is that they should be things you can freely choose without having to feel as if you are getting some mechanical disadvantage to other players by not choosing certain specific ones. Granted, every single trait grants an advantage which you won't have by not picking it, but in general this is just a small time/money advantage. I.e. you can easily make up for not having "fully fit" by just sleeping a bit longer, and you can make up for not being a master angler by just fishing a bit more.

But house- and cityfavours aren't just a commodity you can get any time you wish for nothing but a small time investment. They are often very situational and hard to come by, and their dependence on other adventurers makes acquiring them much less certain and predictable. Someone gaining a bit more from a single housefavour would easily give people without that trait the feeling that they are being left behind in a way they can't easily make up for otherwise and thus make quite a few people feel almost compelled to take that trait. That's what I don't quite like about it.
  • Wysteria said:
    Antonius said:

Wysteria said:
    Maybe an edit to Airborne to actually grant proper stable flying like the lvl 50 Atavian trait
    This already exists as an artefact.
    Ring of flying + Brooch of the Tempest = for people who can't fly/aren't Atavians. I just figured it would be a little daft to have those that can racially fly not have stable flying like the old days. Making them purchase an artefact when there's a trait there is a bit, I don't know, counter intuitive?
    I don't see how it's counter intuitive. The current trait is a sub par version of a reasonably cheap artefact, which seems totally reasonable to me. It's all pretty irrelevant, anyway, since traits that give the same effects as existing artefacts have already been said to be a no go.

Also, the assertion that the ring of flying is only for people who can't fly is absurd. I have access to two other forms of flying yet still own one.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Castrated - unable to bloodline people

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited February 2013
    Trevize said:
    Achilles said:
    Trevize said:
    Achilles said:
    Insomniac - never get sleepy (useless after 80)
    Weight cutter - never get hungry
    Bracelet of Sustenance: 550 credits
       - Wear this bracelet and you'll never need to sleep or eat again.
         (this acts exactly as though you were level 80+. It does not
          give immunity to hunger attacks).
    I broke them up for a reason, like how health and mana weaver are 60% of a mayan bracelet
    Makes sense. My main objection is it isn't like health/mana,  though, as they can stack with the artie. But it is giving up two trait slots for it, so may be viable.

Maybe also make it so they can't be chosen together? Grouped, or whatever.
    I'd be interested to see sales figures on the Bracelet of Sustenance since I can't see it being very high at all (I wouldn't be surprised if it was single digits). Unfortunately it's still likely to make these impossible.
  • Silvarien said:
    Sylvance said:
    Silvarien said:
    Sylvance said:

Is suggesting that all City and House leaders are by default susceptible to sycophancy by a jerk skilled in it really any better an implication than that CFs or HF are handed out for sycophantic reasons?

Okay, seems that whatever response I give is going to leave you with the odd impression that I'm casting aspersions, so bowing out of the discussion.
  • Iocun said:
    Delphinus said:
    I just don't like the intent of the trait in general. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Likewise. For me, I think this is mostly because I believe the general idea behind minor traits aiming to no longer give combat benefits is that they should be things you can freely choose without having to feel as if you are getting some mechanical disadvantage to other players by not choosing certain specific ones. Granted, every single trait grants an advantage which you won't have by not picking it, but in general this is just a small time/money advantage. I.e. you can easily make up for not having "fully fit" by just sleeping a bit longer, and you can make up for not being a master angler by just fishing a bit more.

But house- and cityfavours aren't just a commodity you can get any time you wish for nothing but a small time investment. They are often very situational and hard to come by, and their dependence on other adventurers makes acquiring them much less certain and predictable. Someone gaining a bit more from a single housefavour would easily give people without that trait the feeling that they are being left behind in a way they can't easily make up for otherwise and thus make quite a few people feel almost compelled to take that trait. That's what I don't quite like about it.

Okay, good points. That said, I've heard enough people mention that CR/HR ain't muffin but a number that I don't think folks would necessarily flock to this en masse in the way you're suggesting.
  • Mishgul said:
    Castrated - unable to bloodline people
    Not effected by trait resets... I mean nothing to see here! 

seriously... there's nothing.
  • edited February 2013
    Aloof: Increases ignore list by (5?). Crybaby: Removes the cost of public posts made within ten minutes of being slain by another player. OCD: automatically groups your vials in Elixirlist
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited February 2013
    Hmm. Lets see if I can explain my thoughts accurately.

I think it would be neat to have a set of minor traits that make you more effective (do more damage, I suppose?) against certain sections of denizens. A few (possibly horribly named) examples would be:

Scourge of the Undead: 5%(?) more damage against all undead creatures
    For Me Hairy Brother!: 5%(?) more damage against all orcs/ogres/goblins
    Aliens, man!: 5%(?) more damage against the Vertani

These are mostly creatures pretty much anyone can identify with killing, and the easiest examples that came to mind. There's likely more of these we could think up and fit in. I was hesitant to add an "animal" category, just as that covers a -huge- amount of denizens in the world, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Some other, potentially offensive possibilities:

They're in the Trees!: 5%(?) more damage against tsol'aa
    Crashing Tides: 5%(?) more damage against atavians/grooks
    My Main Mhun: 5%(?) more damage against mhun

Now, granted, I wasn't sure if we should or shouldn't include groups of adventurer-playable denizens. I know a lot of people could go back and forth on the potential issues with this, but I decided it might be interesting to just throw it out there for consideration.

It should be noted both of the above are two "sections" of traits, like Improved physique/Brilliance/Agile/Robust, which means you could only pick one in each section!

--

I do have one selfish request:

Celestia's Devoted: No Devotion cost to summon your angel.

You'd do a girl a favour, right, @Tecton? :(
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Oh! Just died and thought of this:

Seeing the Stars: When a starburst activates, the lessened experience loss now applies to both adventurers and denizens. Does not apply to misadventures or bleeding out.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I like the idea of the SPOUSE channel just in general as an addition to the game rather than a trait.

Dainty- When you EAT something (not herbs) it hides it to the room.
    Finicky-When you (SIP or DRINK) something (not vials) it hides it to the room.

This discussion has been closed.