House Renaissance

Comments

• May have been asked before.  Whats the plan for House credits/gold?

*Animated Signature*

• RuthRuth Singapore
    > @Zii said:
    > May have been asked before.  Whats the plan for House credits/gold?

Ditto this. Also, I assume house ships will also have ownership transferred over to the new houses hopefully, or the city before the switch.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Are the Houses going to fit into the combat/ritualism/scholar archtypes, or do you have some nifty ideas for uniqueness beyond slapping factional beliefs on those archtypes?

• Ruth said:
    > @Zii said:

Ditto this. Also, I assume house ships will also have ownership transferred over to the new houses hopefully, or the city before the switch.

I saw that ships are being transferred.  You can keep your bath toys.

*Animated Signature*

• Tecton said:
    May said:

When the trade skills are moved, if we already have that trade skill will we lose it, or do we get to keep it? 

Not really part of this discussion! Stay tuned for more information about tradeskill stuff though!

Wait this is news to me. Are trade skills stuff like concoctions, forging, and the alchemy one? What does that mean, I love being able to make elixirs and stuff. That's one of my favorite things about being a Sylvan, actually that is my most favorite thing.  That actually explains a lot.

• I really hope this changes things for the better in houses. I always particularly thought it was a mistake when as Wardens we ended up restricting classes again. (You eleusian/cyrenian dames/sirs/etc know who you are).

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Zii said:

May have been asked before.  Whats the plan for House credits/gold?

They'll be redistributed to the new houses.

Ruth said:
    > @Zii said:

Ships will change ownership too, yep!

Liane said:
    Tecton said:
    May said:

When the trade skills are moved, if we already have that trade skill will we lose it, or do we get to keep it? 

Not really part of this discussion! Stay tuned for more information about tradeskill stuff though!

Wait this is news to me. Are trade skills stuff like concoctions, forging, and the alchemy one? What does that mean, I love being able to make elixirs and stuff. That's one of my favorite things about being a Sylvan, actually that is my most favorite thing.  That actually explains a lot.

There are some upcoming changes to tradeskills, yes. As I mentioned above, stay tuned for more information (or check out some of the previous Q+A threads for more information).

• Has it been decided already what the sequence will be after Cyrene? 

The Truths hurt. Always.
    edited May 2014
    Suladan said:

Has it been decided already what the sequence will be after Cyrene? 

We've got a rough idea, but nothing set in stone.
  • BronislavBronislav Maryland

I just had a sudden worry seized upon me, due to recent discussions.

How do you plan on having each house focus on a particular aspect of a city (Combat, Spirituality/Knowledge, the Arts) while still being unique enough to stand on their own? I understand that this can be done - there are primarily Monk Houses, Serpent Houses, and Knight Houses that have similar aims with very different flavors. But how will you go about a "This House is devoted to combat!" route without having a cookie-cutter feel?

I'm truly sorry, but Targossas' recent Houses are a big example of this: The Dawnblade, the Harbingers of Redemption, and the Luminai came into being as stereotypical and cookie-cutter as Houses can get - not necessarily because the concepts themselves are bad, but because the citizens of Targossas didn't build them up (From what I can tell - I don't play a Targossan, so please correct me if I'm mistaken). I expect that this will change over time if it hasn't already, as players join and add their own flavor to it - but the concern is legitimate, and I'm curious as to what's been done to make sure this doesn't happen?

Bronislav said:

I just had a sudden worry seized upon me, due to recent discussions.

How do you plan on having each house focus on a particular aspect of a city (Combat, Spirituality/Knowledge, the Arts) while still being unique enough to stand on their own? I understand that this can be done - there are primarily Monk Houses, Serpent Houses, and Knight Houses that have similar aims with very different flavors. But how will you go about a "This House is devoted to combat!" route without having a cookie-cutter feel?

I'm truly sorry, but Targossas' recent Houses are a big example of this: The Dawnblade, the Harbingers of Redemption, and the Luminai came into being as stereotypical and cookie-cutter as Houses can get - not necessarily because the concepts themselves are bad, but because the citizens of Targossas didn't build them up (From what I can tell - I don't play a Targossan, so please correct me if I'm mistaken). I expect that this will change over time if it hasn't already, as players join and add their own flavor to it - but the concern is legitimate, and I'm curious as to what's been done to make sure this doesn't happen?

Each house will have a deeper ethos than "this is a combat house" or "this is a scholar house", we're working to make sure that they all tie back to the goals of the city. 

• Am I right in understanding that even if a house is dissolved, the resources that house has accumulated are going to be distributed to organizations that they had no part in creating?  If so, that is very disappointing.  

The time and energy that members of Houses have put into making them better should be rewarded, even if the House will no longer exist past this Renaissance.  The members that move to new organizations could definitely take part of those resources with them to "seed" the new Houses, but to just take what the existing Houses have and give it to others seems, well, wrong.

• Long overdue change, excited to see how it pans out. It could create really interesting opportunities for Cities to develop much more balanced and interesting intra-city roleplay/cohesion.

I'd encourage the fussier among you to take a couple steps back and a deep breath. Consider how this change could expand upon and enrich your character/city/whatever's lore and storyline rather than assume it just needs to be some awkward gap in your narrative! 

• Synbios said:
    Tecton said:
    Suladan said:

Has it been decided already what the sequence will be after Cyrene? 

We've got a rough idea, but nothing set in stone.

Hm, so the next city with lots of rough stone, which can easily translate to 'rough, unprocessed stone'. Mines have that in great quantities, and there is one particular area with that kind of mining operation... 

I have the answer! The next city to benefit from the House Renaissance is...

Moghedu. Now, now humans, no need to praise my superior cogitation skills. You may substitute praise with lavish tributes though!

Wrong. Inbhir Ness.

• I don't tend to make posts, but I felt this warranted me breaking my normal silence for a post. 

I wholeheartedly agree with @Tecton and @Sarapis that this is a step forward, not a step backward.

I think the pros outweigh the cons at this moment, and would love to see this implemented across the board. I'm both excited and interested in the next path that will be paved out before us.  

I do have a few questions about the moves:

1) Will these changes allow for the houses to have more active Divine to drive events and interactions?

2) Will we see some more events once the houses are put together? Perhaps XP events or foozles?

3) How will you work on funneling the newly made rogues into the newly made houses?

4) What are your plans for the Cityless houses (Cij/Merchants)? 

• Faur said:

Wrong. Inbhir Ness.

That can easily be mediated.

I don't tend to make posts, but I felt this warranted me breaking my normal silence for a post. 

I wholeheartedly agree with @Tecton and @Sarapis that this is a step forward, not a step backward.

I think the pros outweigh the cons at this moment, and would love to see this implemented across the board. I'm both excited and interested in the next path that will be paved out before us.  

I do have a few questions about the moves:

1) Will these changes allow for the houses to have more active Divine to drive events and interactions?

2) Will we see some more events once the houses are put together? Perhaps XP events or foozles?

3) How will you work on funneling the newly made rogues into the newly made houses?

4) What are your plans for the Cityless houses (Cij/Merchants)? 

1+2) I can't necessarily say this change will bring back dormant gods at any increased frequency. One can hope, but that's purely based on people volunteering to become Celani. I can imagine that the new houses and the city changes will provide bountiful opportunity for RP events though, both Garden and player led.

3) We'll have people run through the city novicehood program and select a house. We did the same thing in Targossas, and it worked well.

4) CIJ and Merchants will stay mostly the same, we'll open them up to all non-factional classes.

• @Tecton, forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by non-factional? I may have missed something.
  • Apostate. Infernal, Occultist, Paladin, Priest, Sylvan, Druid and Sentinel are all factional classes
  • I'm all for changes that rustle jimmies. I do think it is fun that single class control was awful > houses, then allowing all classes in for roleplay reasons was awful > class restrictions, now houses are bad for some reason > back to all classes in a house for rp reasons. The more things change I suppose. I totes approve. #classchangesforthepeople

• Yes. Can I has Infernal Naga please? I has Lupine!

• WessuxWessux Chattanooga
    Can infernal not be factional, please please please!!!!!!!?
    Invest in a 9mm retirement plan.
  • @Wessux might be joking but I agree, class limits should be soft rather than hard, if possible, eg. via penalties and social distrust.